MIDI under Windows

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions MIDI under Windows

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

Hello all,

has anyone experience in manipulating incoming MIDI-Data before handing it over to another application in Win10?

I use a Win10 machine for MultiRack SoundGrid. Unfortunately there’s no IP-MIDI Driver for Windows only for Mac. I’d love to use a mac, but the band wanted it with Touchscreen for guest engineers. So Mac and f.e. touchbase isn’t an alternative, as the 19″ is already there …

My idea: there is a A&H Driver for DAW Control. If I can manipulate the data (let’s say Level CH1 0-127 changed to PGM-Change 0-127) and than hand it over to MultiRack SoundGrid it could work. But I’m no MIDI-Crack on PC, so I don’t know the Tools (if any) and how to handle them. So I’s Programm a MIDI-Fader in dLive sending Midi-Values corresponding to scences (I don’t need more than 100 Scenes)

I need a tool, that reads data from the virtual DAW-Control-Port from A&H Driver (Midi-over-IP), changes them and sends it to another virtual MIDI-Port, that could be use in MultiRack SoundGrid as Midi-In.

Multirack exclusivly uses PGM-Change Data!

Any ideas?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You mean A&H isn’t using rtp-MIDI?

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Midi-Ox will convert data for you. Might be tricky to install in windoze 10 but I believe it can be installed. Also Midi yoke or loopbe for virtual (internal) midi ports.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

Hi all,

@steffen:
    did you manage to make it work? I tried rtpMIDI with no success. Documentation of GLD and iLive says, that they use Port 51325 for connection, so I tried to make a connection with the dLive Surface (192.168.1.71:51325) and Mixrack (192.168.1.70:51325) but both failed, rtpMIDI could’t establish a connection.

@stix: nepp I found Midi-Ox after I posted here. But till know I couldn’t manage to convert the Data. I see incoming Data in the Midi-Monitor, but if I move Faders from Channels it seems if I get the same data (a Note on, off which seems to be the Fader-sense, then Pitchbend with different Data-Bytes regarding Fadermovemaent, then again a Note on/off, but the Note is always the same. I’d expect different Notes for different Faders).

If I make a Midi-Fader in dLive (where you can program custom Midi-Data) it’s not seen in Windows as the DAW-Driver seems only passing Data regarding HUI or Mackie Control, nothing else,

thanx for your input!

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hi pete.j

Kinda confused by your question,

from another of your posts you state the mac option, using the A&H TCP midi driver works for your needs, while i’ve not done it the way you ask i’ve sent midi program changes over ip to several computers using ip midi….another way to do this, without the need to translate /interpret midi msgs, would be to use your mac as a front-end for sending the program changes (i.e. scene changes in Dlive + preset recalls in Soundgrid)….. I use Qlab regularly for that very purpose……sort of a central midi program remote…..You could probably also use the mac and ip-midi as a go between (dlive >mac>pc)

hope this helps

Ray

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So is A&H using rtp-MIDI or some sort of proprietary protocol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

Hi Ray,

Short and clear: Mac works with A&H Driver, Windows doesn’t. No driver so far from A&H and rtpMIDI and so on didn’t work – or at least I couldn’t make it work.

As it’s a touring setup from a band it has to be totally fool-safe and independent of my personal stuff, so using my own Mac as “midi-translator” is no option. When I’m not there, it won’t work then.

Cheers Peter

Profile photo of pete.j
    pete.j
    Participant

…just if someone is/was Loopings for As I did:

With 1.5 (and later) it’s NOW possible under Windows to do Midi PGM (f.e. To use with MultiRack).
    With the Windoes DAW Controller Driver there’s a “Thru” mode in Windows (like HUI, Mackie Control). With this, MIDI is passed thru (there PGM Change is sent with Scene Recall).

It’s not easy to find, so I thought I’d share as it took me quite a bit to find it!

Cheers Peter

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Where’s the Windows MIDI TCP driver that was announced with fw 1.6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

What Peter says.
    It’s a mode in the Windows DAW Control driver.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

I know I’m late to the party and someone new to the technology, however can we use MIDI over Ethernet for a windows environment or not?

I have a simple setup for stage…

iPad using Onsong for…(Lyrics, Changing Patches on Boss RC-300, Starting Backing tracks on Windows laptop with Ableton Live, and Changing Patches on Line 6 Helix for my guitar(s).

Laptop using Ableton Live for… (Playing through USB multi-track audio to the QU-16.

That being said I would like to

1) Send simple midi commands from Laptop(Ableton) to the QU-16 to mute, unmute & maybe adjust volume.

2) Send Midi to another a TC-Helecon VoiceLive Rack Harmonizer in which I wound select a patch, and even control key’s and such for harmony’s.

Be Gentle… New guy to the tech….

I’d like to spend more time playing than configuring.

Thank you!

SteffenR
    Participant

you asked this question in the dLive forum….

this was already adressed in the QU forum

SteffenR
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.