Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 338 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarksLiveMusic MarksLiveMusic 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Perhaps the Midas M32R Live could be a working system for this purpose. Another guy in a german forum changed to it from QU and was very glad with it. 32 channels. More free routing options than QU, good sound, but not so modern surface/touch-display like the A&H’s. Price is o.k. also…

I solved the problem with my QU 16 in buying an old used Lenovo Thinkpad TP 410 (only true USB 2.0 ports) and upgraded it with an SSD and slim Windows-installation.

Or another solution would be using a SQ5 with Dante card, so with LAN-connection and not with USB 2…

Profile photo of JJ
    JJ
    Participant

I use a qu24 to record our worship sessions each week into Ableton Live. When we started I had an upgraded 2012 MacBook Pro I5 with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. Even with all plugins disabled, I still had cpu issues but NO A&H distortion like we are all describing. My church bought me a 2020 MacBook Pro I7 2.3ghz 32gb Ram 1tb ssd and I use a USB-b to USB-C from the qu24 to my MacBook. Ever since the switch I have been having these described distortion moments, that last about 1.5 seconds in random places. It seems to happen in the “bigger” moments, when the drums are more dynamic and singing is stronger- but it also happens during softer moments like preaching. It’s becoming such a pain- just looking to see if anyone has found a solution or if the solution is indeed to buy another board. Which would mean changing my entire stage setup including stage boxes and ME monitors.smh

A&H it’s 2020 man we need a solution to this!!!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

as mentioned many times before… the problem comes from Intel chipsets and the handling from Apple
    since very old USB2 implementations working

it could be a solution to get an USB-C to USB2 adapter if any available, but I doubt that for the most newer Macs

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Is the usb v3 connector different than a usb 2?

anyway they are readily available for v2

v3 also
    https://www.amazon.com/USB-to-USB-Adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=3015402011
    with many assorted adapters

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

So all the web sites that say things like this
    << Also, USB 3.0 is backward compatible. The only defect of USB 3.0 is that it is more expensive than USB 2.0. >>
    << USB 3.1 (aka USB 3.1/gen 1 and USB 3.1/gen 2) is the successor to USB 3.0. … And like previous versions of USB, it is fully backwards compatible with its predecessors. >>
    << USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices; however, data transfer speeds are limited to USB 2.0 levels when these devices inter-operate. >>
    << USB 3.0 ports are completely backward compatible. This means when a USB 2.0 drive or earlier versions are connected to a USB 3.0 port, the drive will work normally. >>
    << USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports. They’ll function normally, but only at USB 2.0 speeds. >>
    << USB3.0 offers backwards compatibility. When it is connected to USB 2.0, the drive works perfectly but when it is connected to USB3.0 the data transfer speed is much higher. >>
    are wrong?
    Did somebody forget to tell intel and AH??

Does the color of the connector confuse audio devices?
    USB 2.0 has a black “block” inside the USB port.
    In contrast, USB 3.0 has a blue “block” inside the USB port.
    The more recent USB 3.1 port also differs visually in that the “block” inside the USB 3.1 port is red.

And yet more fun in the future:
    More recently, USB 3.2 offers a transfer rate of 20 Gbps and in 2019, we can expect the ratification of USB 4.0, which will offer 40 Gbps. These transfer rates allow quicker uploads of data.
    What color is 3.2 ?? Green??
    What color will 4.0 be?

SteffenR
    Participant

I never talked about USB3 in general

the implementation from Intel in many of their chip sets had a bug that prevents many of the audio devices work under low latency conditions
    and some PC vendors used some third party chips as add ons for newest technology with poor implementation regarding to backward compatibility

it is possible to correct this behavior with actual drivers to get USB3 devices work better with USB3 ports
    but a backward compatibility issue is preventing this sometimes with USB2.0 devices

for windows 10 it is highly recommended to update the system to 2004
    since this introduces some changes to the driver handling with Windows Update
    for older systems you have to update the drivers by yourself

this is sometimes different on mobile computers since these use specific main boards
    so you have to use the drivers from your vendor but not all of them provide long time support

the Apple problems are only particular related to this
    i don’t remember where but I read something about power safe state problems of USB and TB3 ports with some OS versions

A&H it’s 2020 man we need a solution to this!!!

ask apple why it worked on older hardware and stops working on the newest devices
    have fun with the answers… if you get some

SteffenR
    Participant

@williamadams

marketing bla bla is the first you will not believe in relation to Windows
    but you believe it regarding to USB?

The USB2 interface is an OEM product and A&H is dependent on the give chips and drivers

The development of the devices is older than 10 years and you know what this means related to modern electronic devices.
    I’m sure A&H will be more picky in the future because you are the one that made them change everything…

Oh you don’t own a console… damn!

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenRomeiß aka @SteffenR

There is a usb consortium that sets standards and enforces trademarks and licenses for use of USB.
    win crap is whatever microstuff decides to do to it.

The USB2 product is made under license and must conform to the USB standard to use the USB logo or trademarks.

You seem to have a personal problem with me for some reason.
    Whatever dood , I don’t care what you say or think.

Profile photo of JJ
    JJ
    Participant

IT CAN’T BE ON APPLE THAT ALLEN AND HEATHS EQUIPMENT IS JANKY!! EVERY OTHER FREAKING INTERFACE IN THE WORLD HAS NO ISSUES WITH APPLE- HENCE THAT’S WHY LIKE THE MAJORITY OF MUSIC THESE DAYS IS PRODUCED ON AN APPLE COMPUTER. I PERSONALLY OWN, BEHRINGER, MOTU, FOCUSRITE, IRIG, ROLAND, AND APOLLO INTERFACES- NONE OF WHICH HAVE ISSUES. YET, WHEN IT COMES TO CRITICAL RECORDING AT MY CHURCH- WHEN I’M RELYING ON A USABLE AND CONSISTENT USB STREAM- A&H FAILS. I MEAN THIS IS A HONESTLY A JOKE, A $2500 MIXER IS ESSENTIALLY IN LAST PLACE WHEN IT COMES TO THIS WHERE $100 INTERFACES HAVE NO PROBLEMS.

IT’S DISHEARTENING THAT AGAIN, IT’S 2020 AND I’M DEALING WITH THIS CRAP. I CAN’T EVEN FATHOM THAT THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO DEVELOP A SOFTWARE PATCH FOR SOMETHING THAT TO ME- SEEMS DOABLE. PERHAPS A&H NEEDS TO TALK TO ELON MUSK ABOUT INNOVATING.I MEAN FOR GOSH SAKES, BEHRINGER EXCELS AT THIS AND HAS BEEN FOR YEARS- HOW COME A&H CAN’T GET IT TOGETHER???????

A&H HAS TO BETTER MAN!!!!

volounteer
    Participant

@JJ

I keep wondering what the real issue is myself.
    Some folks claim it is intel chips. AH has not made a definitive statement that I can find blaming intel, or admitting fault, or whatever.

If AH baked faulty chips into the device then no firmware is going to fix it.

I note that all my computers and usb devices mix and match quite well.
    Except win 10 which will (did!) destroy usb memory sticks for use on other pcs.

Now some folks also claim it is the usb memory device makers using intel chips causing the problems.
    What I have found is old usb2 devices work on AH but new usb3 do not.
    Seems like some usb3 device should work if that is the case. Does nobody else make chips for usb but intel?
    If that is so then why dont all the other usbs and pcs fail to mix and match?

Now there are 3 usb3 device specs out usb3 3.1 and 3.2. And 4.0 is coming soon too.
    Maybe 3.2 fixed the problems. Maybe not. AH does not say.

Now maybe it is all the USB consortiums fault.
    The disclaimers they make about audio make me think they dont care and do not want to be involved with audio issues.

Perhaps AH will build in full size SD memory card slots instead of using usb next time.
    And perhaps they will find other ways to send data to other devices rather than with usb.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

The other way to send data is LAN. You can use a Dante card for LAN with a SQ5 mixer for example…

SteffenR
    Participant

since DANTE, Ravenna or AVB/TSN will be the future to link to audio equipment
    but it is now that some have problems

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

@SteffenR
    I don’t understand, what you mean… Problems with Dante…? And Dante is not really the future. It is relatively old, but seems to work, as I heard. But it is expensive… about 600-700€ for the Dante card. But cheaper than buying a new mixer. Unfortunately it is not available for QU-series, only SQ. That was the reason, why I was thinking about changing my QU 16 to SQ5 with Dante card. But it was to expensive for the purpose, I need it. For me it is enough to do multitrack-recording on a USB-stick and rearrange it at home on the DAW. I gave up to do this “on the fly” with laptop connected to the mixer, although my used at eBay bought Lenovo TP410 with SSD works without problems. It has only USB 2 ports :-).

SteffenR
    Participant

there was no “problem” in my post…

And Dante is not really the future. It is relatively old, but seems to work, as I heard

10years… that’s not so old
    MADI is about 40years and other things in audio are more than 100 years old…

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

@SteffenR

You wrote
    Quote: “but it is now that some have problems”…

So I thought, you know about problems with Dante standard? Perhaps I did it understand wrong…

Greetings from germany…

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.