macOS updates and dLive Director: Compatibility update?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions macOS updates and dLive Director: Compatibility update?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mikki Mikki 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of abeness
    abeness
    Participant

Hello A&H. Seven months on, there is still no update on your software page as to whether dLive Director is compatible with macOS Ventura. In fact, the “Supports” note for Director 1.97 currently stops at Big Sur, after which we’ve had macOS Monterey (released Oct 25, 2021) and now macOS Ventura (released Oct 24, 2022).

Might you folks find a way to move faster on software compatibility checks, and communicate better about testing progress?

Operating system updates are automatic by default on most systems now, and often include security patches that are no longer released to older versions. Plus, there are many other packages that require dependencies available in a newer OS. Expecting dLive Director users to stick with outdated versions of their operating for years, or to dedicate an old machine to dLive Director, is unreasonable for an otherwise excellent product like this.

Please advise. Thank you, A&H.

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Director V1.97 has passed testing with Monterey on both Intel and M processors. I will ask the team to update the download link.
    Unfortunately compatibility with Ventura remains problematic and still under investigation.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Maybe the Apple users should stress Apple more to get stable and compatible systems back.
    Since 2020 I read more and more reports about incompatibilities with assorted software.

Profile photo of abeness
    abeness
    Participant

@nicola Great News re: Monterey and M1, thanks. Would you be able to post the known issues with Ventura? It may be that some will find them to be manageable.

@SteffenR Let’s please not malign OS manufacturers here. Testing during beta and reporting specific issues is critical; developers can’t catch every problem on their own. I do admit to avoiding the bleeding edge: I’m much happier running shows on the mature OS with 6+5 service packs (e.g. Monterey 12.6.5) than on the latest release, for sure. But by the time 13 gets to 13.3.1, most software should be functional, because most issues will have been raised and addressed.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Not trying to raise an Apple vs. Windows debate and will not engage in one, but I have not been able to wrap my head around the reason developers continue to exclusively support Mac and Mac Only especially when it comes to audio/video/photo development software.

Neither is excused. I use both out of necessity because of stupid decisions that both companies make, but particularly from a business perspective, supporting the Mac has to be a nightmare considering there are zero compatibility layers. Plus, when Apple decides to make sweeping changes, there is no consideration as to how much that will impact software developers. From a consumer perspective, you just upgraded your OS and your software doesn’t work anymore? Too bad. Wipe your device and start over. Boggling. Terrible attitudes towards consumers and they don’t care because they can get away with it.

Profile photo of Brody
    Brody
    Participant

I just recently got upgraded to a MacBook Pro M2 Pro from a MacBook Air Intel as it wasn’t receiving software updates from Apple for Ventura. I unfortunately didn’t read the reviews on the Director and MacOS Ventura and now the Director is almost unusable. It hasn’t crashed but it’s very unstable and laggy, it seems the lag is limited to the pop-out window, but that’s taking out the feature of the offline feature of the director. It’s the same when connected to the board, when I recall a show to the board, the board takes longer to load. Please fix this!

Ironically, while my old MacBook could barely run Google Chrome, it could run Director smoothly. But, now my new MacBook can smoothly run Chrome, it struggles to run the Director (what’s also interesting, the CPU load doesn’t increase, but the software struggles, it’s as if the software allows Intel-based software to run on Silicon chips).

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

In my opinion we don’t have to expect any Director overhauls before firmware 2 hits the public…

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I don’t know why you expect something special with 2.0. Just because A&H has run out of “1.x” numbers in their naming scheme does not mean there is going to be some completely revamped system with firmware 2.0….. It’s likely just going to be a “normal” feature release.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

No, numbering does not mean nothing.
    But if there are bigger changes, they would probably incorporate them in version 1 to 2 step, no?

And thinking about a complete Director overhaul was mentioned here in the forum or one of their videos about 3 years ago? Will see, if I could find the source…

Profile photo of Brody
    Brody
    Participant

DLive Director seems to have some good and bad days; on a good day, it will lag very slightly; on a bad day, the software is completely unusable; it only lags when scrolling, like configuring softkeys, viewing your shows, etc. A very intreging problem.

Also, do you have any idea when the new software will be released? I need everything functional by mid-December for one of our big shows.

Thanks!

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

I do not know nothing, and A&H never talked about release dates beforehand 🤷‍♂️

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Not to continue to jab at A&H (sorry guys I know a lot of this is not your fault) but it is ironic that the Windows support for Director is rock solid, mac support sucks, but then they only support iOS for all of their Apps. A&H should just consider purchasing Mixing Station contract them to make A&H apps. It is quite superior (for most things) if you spend the time configuring it.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Apple has always had a “innovation over compatibility” type attitude (and I’m not saying that is bad – Apple’s innovation has benefited everyone – even if you have never used an Apple product). What I mean by that is they are willing to push the boundaries with new ideas and care less about the chaos that these changes sometimes make. They are much more willing to make “breaking” OS changes than any other company. This means more innovation, but less compatibility between major updates.

Long story short, I would not want to be an Apple developer.

Profile photo of Miasm1
    Miasm1
    Participant

Hello A&H,

Hope you’re well. Quick query: Any word on dLive Director compatibility with macOS Ventura? Software page hasn’t been updated, and users are in the dark.

dLive Director Software Page
    User Forum or FAQ Section

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.