Streaming

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Streaming

This topic contains 85 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raycarroll03 raycarroll03 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of raycarroll03
    raycarroll03
    Participant

I am using a plate reverb on the vocals and I will add some more to the vocals. Is there a a better reverb for vocals? Looked at the board today and I do not have any compression on vocals or instruments. Any recommendations on good compression ratio for vocals and instruments to start? Sorry I have asked questions over and over trying to learn and understand.
    Ray

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I am using a plate reverb on the vocals and I will add some more to the vocals. Is there a a better reverb for vocals? Looked at the board today and I do not have any compression on vocals or instruments. Any recommendations on good compression ratio for vocals and instruments to start? Sorry I have asked questions over and over trying to learn and understand.
    Ray

A plate verb is fine. Think of an FX return as just another input channel, you can send that to the live stream mix the same way you send any input channel to a mix/aux.

As for compression (yea I forgot to mention that in my other post) 3 to 1 to 4 to 1 is
    a good starting ratio on vocals and instruments. Start with the auto attack and release
    to keep it simple.
    Set the threshold so there is just a little to no gain reduction on the softer parts and around 6db or so on the louder parts to start.
    You want the compression to help even out the levels but not so much as to suck the life out of the instrument or voice, finding the sweet spot on the threshold is the key.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

As an alternative to the plate reverb I suggest the Arena reverb. To support speech intelligibility and more room depth you also can use a larger predelay, around 90-100ms, and a decay of 2.5 to 3 seconds. I also like to mix it with a tempo delay with 1/8 delay slightly added to the vocals. this also gives you more space. But I would also use some little reverb for the spoken words at the streaming sum. This will help to get a more natural sound on your stream.

In addition to the soft compression of the vocal channels you also can put all vocals to a sub group and use a compression with an ratio 10:1 or more and use the parallel path setup to add some dry signal to the heavy compressed signal. This will give you some extra power to the vocals on the stream. Maybe it would be a good idea to use a subgroup for the instruments as well for the streaming. While it is not really recommended to do a lot of compression for the live sound on your PA, compression of the signals would help a lot to get a tighter signal for the stream.
    So I would try to get a three stage compression, some soft compression on the input channels, a heavy compression on subgroups and a limiting compression on the sum.

I also would do some different EQ on the acoustic guitars and add more bass signals, the bass guitar and probably also the piano, to achieve a more frequency balance for the sum.

raycarroll03
    Participant

1080p is what we use

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

To truly “fine tune” your live stream mix you need a way to monitor it
    in real time while not being influenced by the main PA system at the same time.
    Really good isolation headphones will work or setting up a monitoring location
    in another room.

Short of splitting all the channels EQ and compression will be applied to the mix
    and the streaming mix. You may want to check the live stream mix channel pick off point
    to be sure it is set to post channel processing, that is a different setting than
    pre or post fade.

Reverb and other FX can be set up independent of the main mix by the routing of the FX returns.

raycarroll03
    Participant

Today I used compression and a plate reverb on my singers and also on my pastor. It sound was great in the sanctuary. When I got home and listened too the stream music sound was good but the vocals were echoey and when the worship leader talked same way. How is the best way to stip the stream from having that echoey sound? Thanks for help with compressions still learning.

Ray

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@raycarroll03

It depends where the echo comes from.

We do a separate mix from the mikes on stage and send that to our livestream.
    Our echo was mostly from the back wall but was not really noticeable even before we added acoustic panels to tame it.

We compress the livestream but do not use reverb on anything.

Have you tried it without the reverb? Do you still get the echoey sound?
    Is your plate reverb external? Could you be hearing the delay as an echo?
    Could it be the internal fx reverb as they have various delays and amount of echo in them?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe you have applied too much reverb to the live stream, bring the live stream
    mix send down on the FX return then.

You should mute all of the FX returns when someone is speaking between songs.
    You can put all the FX returns on their own mute group and then assign that mute group
    to a soft key button for quick muting, personally I use a DCA for the FX returns, the mute group is a bit simpler.

I was going to listen to it but it looks like you have not posted it to YouTube yet or if it’s a new link let us know.

raycarroll03
    Participant

Here is a link to 1/3/21 Service and any feed back for ideas is appreciate

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Much improved!

What you calling echo is the reverb.
    Listening in headphones from the computer during the music the reverb maybe just
    a touch too much, on the FX/reverb return channel bring down the mix send on the live stream mix a little.

When the worship leader was talking you are hearing the reverb on his vocal mic, you need to mute the FX returns as I mentioned earlier or as was also mentioned you can mute the FX sends.
    One way or another you need to mute the FX when people talk on the live stream mix and in the main PA mix as well, one mute group set up could do both with the push of a button.

Are you adding any FX to the instruments?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@raycarroll03

sounds good to my olde ears
    I doubt the audience will find any problems

I did not hear an echo on this version

The pastor’s level was lower than the music but not as bad as what we have with our pastor.

raycarroll03
    Participant

I went back and listened to the service again on my computer with headphones and I can only here the reverb when the worship leader is speaking. Was hearing more reverb when I had it on my tv with surround sound it stood out and I had a few people text me that they were hearing the reverb live. Have the pastors gain set around -12db guess I need to increase it some more.

Thanks

raycarroll03
    Participant

No I did not have a reverb on the instruments forgot to add it to the mix. During our 11am service I did add a arena reverb to the instruments and I had a lot of people tell me that it was the best sound coming from the instruments and some said it sounded like a track. It has been added for next week. I will setup a soft key for the mute on the reverb for vocals. I did add a little reverb to the pastor mics but volume seemed low to me. I have him setting around -12db guess I need to increase his levels. Thanks for the tips and it was a whole lot better. Again thanks

Ray

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The good book requires all of us to make a joyful noise in our worship. The ability to deliver to the pews and streamed listeners a cohesive sonic delivery is a balancing act by someone making production decisions at the console. IMO it is impossible for desk control to create a great performance: however all too often desk decisions can degrade marginal performances even further.
    Hugh

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You have a PA in the room, then double the pastors mic just for the stream.
    So you can use more compression for the stream.
    To control mutes on both at the same time add them to a gang. You can synchronize the EQ as well.

And make use of the EQ at the FX returns, you can tailor your reverb better to the instruments or vocals without bring it up too much.

and just some videos… 😉

FabFilter Beginners Guides

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.