Streaming

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Streaming

This topic contains 85 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raycarroll03 raycarroll03 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Be careful adding reverb to the pastors mic or any mic used for speaking, a little will go a long way! If you can hear the reverb when there speaking it’s too much!

Don’t just put reverb straight up on all the instruments, I would start with just
    a little on the acoustic guitars.

Profile photo of raycarroll03
    raycarroll03
    Participant

Our streaming feed is sent from our mains to a matrix. Do not have any open aux or groups right now. How can I increase the pastors volume for the stream without effecting the house?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@raycarroll03

Welcome to the club!

The Qu is not as flexible as the SQ ; but if you compress the Qu input channel , not just the top but the whole signal, add some make up gai and then feed it to the matrix , then in the matrix you could compress again and add more gain back there, and finally OBS has filters and limiters so you can increase the average level some more if you need to.

What we really need is NY style upwards compression but that is hard to do in the Qu, or at least do enough in the Qu in order to tame our extremely wide DR.
    Perhaps your orator does not have such a wide DR and you can get by with just the downwards compression.

Possibly you could find a NY parallel style UPwardscompressor , VST2 Plug in, for OBS that would do the job you need easier.
    Here is one that google found, but no info on how good it is
    but this site might (wont load on my olde pc:) https://everythingrecording.com/review-baby-audio-i-heart-ny/

the plug in itself $30
    https://babyaud.io/i-heart-ny-parallel-compression-plugin

more info on ny parallel compression

8 Parallel Compression Hacks: Kick Your Mixes Up a Notch

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

NY style compression is not upward compression, these are two different things
    and parallel compression is not the only way to do it

And btw the SQ has parallel compression already integrated on all compressors.

@raycarroll03

how is your routing for the pastors mic?
    do you use any groups?

raycarroll03
    Participant

When the mixer was installed all the buses had been setup all as aux’s for on small monitor for the pianist to hear one is set for our subwoofer and the rest are setup as aux for IEM’s.
    Ray

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

When the mixer was installed all the buses had been setup all as aux’s for on small monitor for the pianist to hear one is set for our subwoofer and the rest are setup as aux for IEM’s.
    Ray

If you do not have any open mixes/auxes/groups there is no way to create the separate mix
    needed to balance the levels for live stream.

I’m guessing if you would look at it close there is a mix you could free up to use for live streaming, maybe someone could share a monitor mix, you have 12 mixes available.

raycarroll03
    Participant

Earlier in conversation was ask and said I did not have and groups open that they all are used for auxes. We currently have on one aux channel is for subwoofer, another is for Hallway and hearing device. Is it possible on the sq6 the subwoofer to matrix and the hallway and hearing to another matrix? This would free up 2 aux channels that I could use for a group channel.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Earlier in conversation was ask and said I did not have and groups open that they all are used for auxes. We currently have on one aux channel is for subwoofer, another is for Hallway and hearing device. Is it possible on the sq6 the subwoofer to matrix and the hallway and hearing to another matrix? This would free up 2 aux channels that I could use for a group channel.

good idea for the hallway send
    the subwoofer could be handier on an aux, I would leave it there
    since you have people talking… you can leave the speech signals out of the subwoofer
    if you put the subwoofer on a matrix this would not be possible anymore
    the SQ can not send inputs to matrices like the dLive
    some people requested that feature already… we will see
    but on the other hand if it’s working to send the speech to a full range PA system you can use the aux as a group
    you can try it… change the settings for the matrix only and leave everything else like it is now then you can switch back very quick
    if necessary during the show, it’s just a change in the patch

and btw the mixes or groups are switchable to stereo without needing an extra mix
    so freeing up one aux mix would give you a stereo group

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes keep the subs on a aux (should be post fade by the way) that way you can still send the inputs that need subwoofer support to the ssubwoofer like the bass, kick drum, playback track audio, keyboard.

Put the hallway on a matrix out fed from the main mix.

The mix now open for the live stream should also be post fade.
    Now also feed the hearing assist system with the same mix that is feeding the
    live stream. A mix that is mixed for live stream will more or less be what
    people listening using hearing assist would want to hear.

You may want to send the live stream mix to a matrix and feed the hearing assist
    from the matrix out so you have independent output processing.
    Sometimes depending on the main system I will put a little delay
    on the hearing assist output to help bring it into alignment with
    the main sound system. You can’t make it perfect everywhere but you can
    find an average setting.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

In your case, Ray, I would also go the route with an extra postfader mix bus for streaming. You also can try to send the streaming signal to the hallway if the hallway is not close connected to the room where the band is playing, because the PA would not have much of the louder instruments, like the drums, on the mix.
    The longer I think about the more I come to the conclusion that your focus should be on the streaming mix rather than on the main PA mix. Maybe itwould be a good idea to use the mixbus for the PA and the main mix for streamin, hearing assist and hallway. If you are two persons who can do the mix job, one for PA and one for the rest, one of you can do it in a separate room for streaming and so on.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Good idea on also putting the streaming mix into the hallway.

I don’t think I would assign a mix/aux bus to become the main mix for the
    PA and the main mix to be come the streaming mix.
    Depending on your sound operators and team rotation that could get confusing
    for people coming in doing sound for non streamed events.

Having someone mix the live stream mix in another area more or less isolated
    from the main PA system using an iPad would be a big help, if you have the
    personnel resources to do that.

Do you have you mixer set up on a network for control at this point?

raycarroll03
    Participant

Was able to move our Hallway and Herring devices for seniors to one matrix and able to get our pianist to use IEM’s and that has freed up 3 channels I can now switch to a group. Now it is time to play and experiment and see what I can do. Again thanks to everyone for your advice and patients and boy have I learned a lot in the last few weeks.

Ray

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Was able to move our Hallway and Herring devices for seniors to one matrix and able to get our pianist to use IEM’s and that has freed up 3 channels I can now switch to a group. Now it is time to play and experiment and see what I can do. Again thanks to everyone for your advice and patients and boy have I learned a lot in the last few weeks.

Ray

Good to hear your making progress and we can tell from your videos.

You do not want to use a group for the live stream mix, you will want to set that mix/group to post fade aux mode, that way you can create a “mix” just for the live stream.
    If you get to the point of having other person that can attend to the live stream mix
    in real time then you could set the mix/aux to pre fade.

Group mode will take the channels assigned to the group at the levels they are set for the main mix with no way independently adjust the send levels going to the live stream.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m interested in the herring devices – what are they for?

😉

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

looks like a misprint for heAring devices
    ADA requires ‘large’ (per ADA rules of large based on seating) churches to post signs and have hearing assist devices for hearing impaired folks which many old people are

There are at least 3 common ways to do hearing assist
    @raycarroll03 will have to fill in the details of their devices

This tells more

Assisted Listening Systems for Church Sound

The Best Assistive Listening Devices For Churches Large And Small

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.