Stereo Input Bug

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Stereo Input Bug

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie WaihekeSoundie 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

This caught me last weekend and it took me a few minutes to work out what was going on.

Two adjacent inputs on GX4816 had previously been set for two mono channels, one of which had Pad engaged. I needed a stereo channel and those inputs weren’t needed so I set that in Mixer Config. The level on one side was 20 dB down!

Once I figured out what it might be I split back to two monos, disengaged the pad and then set back to stereo and all was good. I’ve not had chance to test what happens with Phantom Power, but as that’s part of the preamp/socket it may also be a problem…

When a channel is changed from mono to stereo the settings from the left preamp should be copied over to the right, including pad.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

When a channel is changed from mono to stereo the settings from the left preamp should be copied over to the right, including pad.

not in all cases…
    I often use preamps multiple times on the channels,
    so if I would use a preamp on a mono strip and on a stereo strip this would mess up my settings… and if there is a needed offset this will reset the offset

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

I can’t imagine a scenario where I would require the same source from the ‘hidden’ right side of a stereo channel on a separate mono channel, if I needed that I wouldn’t make it stereo in the first place. I do understand reusing preamps on multiple channels and do it often.

I’m fairly sure it’s unintended behaviour, at best it’s unintuitive as it’s not apparent anywhere what is going on.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

For what it’s worth I agree Dave– that caught me out too.. not at all obvious

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.