Stereo Input Bug

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Stereo Input Bug

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

This caught me last weekend and it took me a few minutes to work out what was going on.

Two adjacent inputs on GX4816 had previously been set for two mono channels, one of which had Pad engaged. I needed a stereo channel and those inputs weren’t needed so I set that in Mixer Config. The level on one side was 20 dB down!

Once I figured out what it might be I split back to two monos, disengaged the pad and then set back to stereo and all was good. I’ve not had chance to test what happens with Phantom Power, but as that’s part of the preamp/socket it may also be a problem…

When a channel is changed from mono to stereo the settings from the left preamp should be copied over to the right, including pad.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

When a channel is changed from mono to stereo the settings from the left preamp should be copied over to the right, including pad.

not in all cases…
    I often use preamps multiple times on the channels,
    so if I would use a preamp on a mono strip and on a stereo strip this would mess up my settings… and if there is a needed offset this will reset the offset

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

I can’t imagine a scenario where I would require the same source from the ‘hidden’ right side of a stereo channel on a separate mono channel, if I needed that I wouldn’t make it stereo in the first place. I do understand reusing preamps on multiple channels and do it often.

I’m fairly sure it’s unintended behaviour, at best it’s unintuitive as it’s not apparent anywhere what is going on.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

For what it’s worth I agree Dave– that caught me out too.. not at all obvious

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I disagree. Sometimes I have a stereo pair but want a gain offset between them. I always zero my gains before pairing channels if I want them identical.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

so if I would use a preamp on a mono strip and on a stereo strip this would mess up my settings

Hmm, I think if you use the same preamp for a mono and a stereo strip you have already a messy setup 😉

Sometimes I have a stereo pair but want a gain offset between them

I you have to deal with that situation on a regular basis you have imho a serious problem with the source setup. In my experience stereo signals do not have significant gain offsets.
    The question is for me what is the most regular use case and how this use case can be handled by the console the easiest way. There is always the workaround using a mono channel to adjust one gain separately from the other. But this can only be a dirty trick, not the usual way how to fix accidental created gain offsets by switching a mono channel to a stereo channel. This offset is nothing you would expect when you start to work with the console. Again one thing you have to learn the hard way on A&H consoles.

SteffenR
    Participant

This offset is nothing you would expect when you start to work with the console.

it’s not there if you just start to work on the console in a defined default state…

I often use the keyboards with ganged mono channels during sound check for monitors and use stereo channels later on the show for FOH only to save faders…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

My fault, I did not mean when you start working at an initialized console, I mean when someone is not as experienced as you working with A&H digital consoles.
    Frankly spoken, I think that there was no big plan behind the behavior of the console as we discuss here, the is no well thought design which was realized here. It just happens as it is. When you try to give it a meaning, that is a nice try but imho far away from reality. I would prefer to have a solution which fits the most possible use case, a proper gain balanced stereo source. But since then I will continue to avoid stereo channels whenever except for the stereo sources coming from my playback device. The rest I handle with ganging.

SteffenR
    Participant

I know that you need the manufacturer to think for you… no matter what console you are using

Remember not all use cases for mixing consoles are related to music and I bet the most use cases for the SQ are conferences and streamings these days…
    and it is reality that not all line sources in conference systems are in perfect balance…

and btw we already had a discussion about that back in the iLive days…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I know that you need the manufacturer to think for you

Do you ever heard something about „intuitive design“? Or something about a design build to prevent mistakes? Or the concept KISS? Hmm

and it is reality that not all line sources in conference systems are in perfect balance…

I know it can happen. But is that the rule or the exception? If it is for you the rule you might have to focus on a way to fix those imbalanced stereo sources. Fix the root cause and do not propagate a workaround as the right remedy.
    And as far as I know the common type of sources in conferences are mono, aren‘t they?

and btw we already had a discussion about that back in the iLive days…

Hmm, that could mean that A&H is somehow resistent for advice. But since I am no user of iLive systems i have to apologize that I do not know this discussion.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

One solution would be to implement a feature on the I/O page like dLive that allows you to touch the socket number across the top, and adjust the parameters (48v, Gain, Pad) for that particular socket. It would be nice to have this on SQ along with the ability to change the output polarity on the outputs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.