Simple question regarding number of Outputs/Config

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Simple question regarding number of Outputs/Config

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of suhrplayer suhrplayer 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I took the advice of another poster and added the number 1 soft key to go to the mix LR/M buss. That way in a panic they can always press that to see the house mix.

Since I try to keep the main inputs on the A layers on Bank 1 and 2, masters on 3 I would like to have a menu choice for the soft key to go to layer A on all banks.

Again. As a panic button. One mode for a soft key. LR/M + Layer A All.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Not to beat a dead horse, but why not go with George’s suggestion of LR+Msum instead of feeding LR to a mono matrix? You still have independent GEQ and volume control. Do you see a benefit to using a matrix over M/C? Just Curious.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

I haven’t had time to checkout the mono sum technique. if I have gain control of the mono sum and it does not consume any additional buses vs. a LR and mono matrix, then either works and I would probably do the mono sum technique. I just need time to go through all the options. We never got close to the bus or output socket limits before so going through all these possibilities is new to me.

Can only the LR Mono signal be assigned an output socket and not the LR buses?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The loon and LR can be assigned sockets. Just did this on an install. On the surface outs. 41=M. 42&43=LR
    Console has 2 faders. LR and M. They both select mix together. You have separate fader levels and processing. The mix buttons are ganged. There are 2 other config options. LR M and LCR. In LR+M. The mix buttons are not ganged. Levels are same but you can assign or unassign to each. The LCR seems to act like LRMsum I think. At least in the editor it does.

dcongdon
    Participant

Correct. Just assign M/C to a socket on the I/O page and ignore the LR busses. They exist virtually (and still take up Mix Outputs), but will not have any impact on your socket count.

dcongdon
    Participant

Thanks, George. helpful to know. I wasn’t fully aware of the differences between LR+M, LR+Msum, and LCR.

I would assume that LCR functions more like a 3.1 system…where panning 12 o’clock goes to C and panning left or right is a blend of C/L or C/R.

Nicola, do you have any input to help us understand these better?

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

Bob, the mix outputs are assigned in pairs so LCR, LR+M, LR+MSum all tie up four mix outputs–same as LR + 2 mono matrix.

If you can use the second mono matrix for anything (lobby feed, fills etc) you may want to consider the mono matrix route. In my church we do what you’re considering (LR not routed to sockets, Msum to mono PA) but we only have 5-6 monitor mixes, all auxes from FOH.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

From the Touchscreen Reference Guide:

LR+Msum – A stereo main mix with additional output which is the mono sum of the pre-fade, pre-processed LR mix. For example to feed a mono delay speaker or zone.
    LR+M – A 3-way main mix with independent stereo LR and mono M buses. Channels can be separately assigned to any combination of LR and M. Typical application for M is main centre speaker, mono PA or bus-fed sub bass.
    LCR – A 3-way main mix with true LCR panning. Each channel can be panned from left, through centre to right. At mid pan, full signal is fed to M and none L and R. Stereo channels feed the LR mix only.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of suhrplayer
    suhrplayer
    Participant

Does anyone else notice FX phase cancellation when using LR+Msum for a Mono Mains sound system? We run Mono on mains and of course a Stereo Mix for a 2-track recording till we get Dante up and running. I switched over to LR+M for our last service to see if I noticed a difference, especially in Verbs. Also, if I use LR+M mode, should I assign FX module output (back panel) from Output 1 or 2? Question being is Left FX out or Right FX out considered best for a Mono mix.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.