S7000 plus multiple stageboxes

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions S7000 plus multiple stageboxes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Julian Tinao Julian Tinao 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of trflorin
    trflorin
    Participant

Hello guys!
    I am new in the Allen&Heath universe. I started using the C2500 with DM32 about a week ago and so far i am really impressed with the console. It’s tremendous flexible and it is a really high class console.

I am currently in preproduction for a show with high channel count (about 80+ channels).
    I rented a S7000 and a DM64 and i own a CDM32.
    How can i connect both of the stage boxes to the s7000 surface?
    Also, i would like to record all the channels. I have two options: DANTE card 128×128 or WAVES card V3 128×128. Can all the channels be routed to the DM64 in wich the card will be located?

Thank you in advance!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

How can i connect both of the stage boxes to the s7000 surface?

This is not possible.
    The Mixrack is the console, the S7000 is just a comfortable remote control that carries additional audio channels.
    The system provides 128 channels for processing, even the CDM32 can process all 128 channels.

trflorin
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, let’s put it another way: I have one S7000, one DM64 and one CDM32. Can i use all the 96 channels on the stageboxes, and how?

Thanks!

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

As Steffen stated, MixRacks can not be connected together.
    If you want to expande the available inputs/outputs for any given MixRack, use any of the “DX” boxes and connect them to the DX ports on the Mixrack. See “Everything I/O” at the A&H website.

All inputs connected to a Mixrack (up to 128) can be routed to a slot-card in the Mixrack/Surface for recording, be it Dante or Waves. Keep in mind, that for recording with Dante, you would need a Dante PCI card in the computer for recording 128 channels, as Dante Virtual Soundcard can only handle up to 64 channels. Or use 2 computers with DVS and record a “synch” track to both (EG. Kick Drum).
    No advice about Waves because of lacking knowledge 🥴

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

This is not completely accurate.
    It is possible to link two MixRacks together and use one as an expander, many users regularly do this. It’s not as straightforward as connecting a DX Expander, but it can be done. All you need is a pair of matching I/O cards and some familiarity with clocking and tieline patching.

So for example:

CDM32 with gigaACE card <-> DM64 with gigaACE card
    CDM32 set to sync from gigaACE card, CDM32 input sockets patched to gigaACE card (via Director)
    DM64 gigaACE card inputs patched to Input Channels 65+
    If using gigaACE/fibreACE cards, you can take advantage of the Gain Sharing feature so that the CDM32 preamps are controlled from your S7000/DM64 system.
    And yes a single Dante 128×128 or Waves card can record all inputs from both racks simultaneously. But read above re: Dante Virtual Soundcard limitations.

trflorin
    Participant

Thank you so much RS!!

So i have to use the DM64 + DX168 to get 80 channels wich should be fine.
    I’ll just have to figure out how to record the 80 channels now…

Thank you so much, guys!!

trflorin
    Participant

Thank you Nicola!

I suspected this was possible.
    The trouble is that i cannot find two gigaACE cards for rent… Those are really scarce here…

SteffenR
    Participant

Yes, Nicola I know that, but I think it is not a good idea to try this at the first bigger job without some experience with the eco system.

I’ll just have to figure out how to record the 80 channels now…

The channel direct outs or tie lines are patchable to the cards available in the system.
    You can configure everything offline with Director, save it as a show and recall it on the real system.

To configure patching from DX boxes offline, you need to read the documentation carefully.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

The tie lines screen…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    trflorin
    Participant

“The channel direct outs or tie lines are patchable to the cards available in the system.
    You can configure everything offline with Director, save it as a show and recall it on the real system.

To configure patching from DX boxes offline, you need to read the documentation carefully.”

Thank you SteffenR!!!

Profile photo of Julian Tinao
    Julian Tinao
    Participant

The thing to understand is DM64 and CDM32 are BOTH mixracks (digital mixing consoles), not expansions. You can use all the channels from both, but you need to treat DM64 and CDM32 as mixing desks. You need expansion cards to connect them (Dante 128 or gigaAce 128 expansion cards) and will need to route in one of them every local input to one output in the expansion card. This is really easy to do in dLive thanks to the Tielines menu. On the other dLive you will use the local inputs and the input comming from the expanssion card.
    Also you will need to configure the wordclock correctly to not have audio glitches.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.