Random popping in SQ 6

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Random popping in SQ 6

This topic contains 79 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterzoetermeer peterzoetermeer 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SGVREC
    SGVREC
    Participant

All was quiet until after V1.5 firmware was updated in mid-May, then the occasional random pop that lights up all meters started happening.
    – Sometimes it doesn’t happen for a whole hour.
    – Sometimes it happens 5 times a minute.
    – It varies in intensity (level) from distracting to forcing outboard speaker DSP limiters to clamp down hard.
    – We have reinstalled firmware twice since, the most recent was 14-08-2020.
    – When the pops comes the LED lights on every channel will light!

We hope that A & H can solve this as very soon as possible

Profile photo of BradWalker
    BradWalker
    Participant

We hope that A & H can solve this as very soon as possible

It has been pop-free under V1.4. It sounds like A&H is working on it, and getting the fix is much anticipated. At least I’m still able to use DynEQ and MB plugins, which have become essential to my way of life 🙂

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

Hi there people at A & H,
    any news available about this? I apreciate your fantastic work but hope you can solve this as very soon as possible

Profile photo of gioeit
    gioeit
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H
    – 2020/08/13 at 2:10 pm
    – So I’m sorry I don’t have more info or any guess at the time frame, but it will be soon!
    But it will be soon = days, weeks, months?
    thank

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

Now its arrived, 1.51 is here – thanks a lot

Profile photo of BradWalker
    BradWalker
    Participant

Those who update, let us know how it behaves! I’ll probably keep what I have going right now until I hear some reports back.

Profile photo of churchingnv
    churchingnv
    Participant

Just updated. Fingers crossed, I will post updates after the weekend.

Profile photo of churchingnv
    churchingnv
    Participant

Following up. After a month on the new firmware, we have not encountered the popping anymore. Hopefully everyone else’s issues are resolved as well!

Profile photo of Calvarysj
    Calvarysj
    Participant

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread but I have been encountering this pop as well on 1.5.0 and after updating to 1.5.3 I am still experiencing the pop. Has this issue returned in 1.5.3?

Profile photo of TobiVI
    TobiVI
    Participant

My SQ5 just started having the same ‘popping’ problem described above. I’m on 1.5.3. I did not have the problem on the last firmware, though I did have the ‘screen freeze with usb multitrack recording and RTA on’ problem that necessitated installing 1.5.3. Any word on if 1.5.3 re-enabled this problem?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

The root cause of this issue was found and fixed with V1.5.1 and is not something that could creep back in, so I can’t imagine this is the same issue even if it has similar symptoms.
    Please contact us using https://support.allen-heath.com with details about your setup/s including all connected devices and if there is any sync set up to SLink or option cards (‘popping’ noises are most commonly found with out-of-sync digital connections).
    If we discover something that might be useful to other users, I can then report back here.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of TobiVI
    TobiVI
    Participant

@calvarysj

My current SQ5 show includes routing for 2 AB168 dSnakes on the hardware SLink port. I have no option cards. A router is connected to the ethernet port, and nothing connected to the USB B port. But the problem was occurring without any XLR inputs or SLink devices connected. Occurred with the USB stick in or removed.

This is the first time I prepped the SQ5 for a show where I need more that 16 channel since 1.5.3 was installed, and the problem started while I was double-checking my saved scenes. I did not have the popping problem with 1.5.2, which is why I thought it was a 1.5.3 problem. I’ve had the SQ5 for about 2.5 years, and a QU16 for about 5. After I had the problem with the screen freezing on the SQ5 with 1.5.0 using the RTA and USB recording simultaneously at an important show in summer 2020, I was reluctant to take the SQ5 out even after the 1.5.2 fix patch. I just stayed with the 16 channel count of the QU for a while for reliability sake. The QU has been incredibly stable for hundreds of shows since I bought it.

I may have found a work around to the popping problem on my specific SQ5. I rolled back to 1.5.2 and the problem disappeared, even using the same scene that was loaded when the problem started. I rerolled to a new download of 1.5.3, and the mixer has been stable for the last 12 hours under the same conditions as above. I’ll try it connected to the 2 AB168 boxes and report if the problem reoccures. But try this and see if it helps you, too.

All the best,
    Paul

Profile photo of johnlimed
    johnlimed
    Participant

Hi sadly, in hopes of eliminating the random popping noise I upgraded my SQ5 to version 1.5.3 but sadly the popping noise is still there.
    I had popping noises from all 1.5.x versions so dropping down to 1.5.2 didn’t work as well.

I’m using the dante expansion card as well as 2xDX168 through the SLink.
    I read that possibly some sync issues, but when I check my dante controller, there isn’t any clock or sync issues, all green.

Could it possibly be a fault with my particular mixer? i.e. would me changing for another set solve the issue?

Just trying to think if there’s anything else that I could do in this situation…

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Johnlimed,

Please go to support.allen-heath.com to start a ticket and one of the team can look at this in more detail with you.

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of johnlimed
    johnlimed
    Participant

Ok will drop in a ticket.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.