Random popping in SQ 6

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Random popping in SQ 6

This topic contains 79 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterzoetermeer peterzoetermeer 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

>I read that possibly some sync issues, but when I check my dante controller, there isn’t any clock or sync issues, all green.

That is on the Dante side, but you could still have issues between the Dante card and the desk, if they aren’t synced to each other properly.

The Dante card should either be set to “sync to external” through Dante controller, OR the SQ should be set to sync to the I/O port. ONLY ONE of these should be set, not both at the same time.

Profile photo of MarkF
    MarkF
    Participant

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I’m experiencing those pops as well on V1.5.3
    How do you roll back to v1.4.4 on the SQ5? Just for testing as I’ve read that v1.4 seems to be pop free?
    Or should I update to v1.5.4? The release notes say nothing on pop sounds.
    Thanks, Mark

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@MarkF –

You can roll back to V1.4.4 to test by just downloading and installing it (in the same way as you would when upgrading).
    The current and previous couple of fw revisions for SQ-5 are available here – https://www.allen-heath.com/sq-series/sq-5/#software

Before you do so however, it would be worth backing up your show and carrying out a hard reset ( https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf#page=108&zoom=auto,-361,132 ) to rule out any settings that might be causing it e.g. clock source or bad cable to an expander.

Worth noting again though that while you may have the same symptoms, the issue discussed in this thread has been identified and fixed. There are no outstanding issues which could cause popping, meaning there is no single solution anyone could provide and it’s therefore best to contact us directly using https://support.allen-heath.com so we can figure out what’s going on in your specific setup.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of MarkF
    MarkF
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to roll back to V1.4.4 but still pops occur. Haven’t tried the hard reset yet, worth a try indeed.
    Currently running a test with the speakers connected to a different set of outputs.
    Should the issue still remain to be there, I’ll create a ticket with support for sure.

Thanks for the support so far,
    Mark

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Is it possible that the pops are originating from something else that is plugged into one of the channels? Wireless mic receivers would be one suspect.

Profile photo of johnlimed
    johnlimed
    Participant

> The Dante card should either be set to “sync to external” through Dante controller, OR the SQ should be set to sync to the I/O port. ONLY ONE of these should be set, not both at the same time.

If I set the SQ to sync to the I/O port what should my Dante card be set through Dante controller? Vice versa what should my SQ be set if the “sync to external” is set on my Dante card?

Asking as we’re still experiencing the pops 🙁

We’re using a Shure wireless mics which run through a UA844+SWB.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Option 1: Set the SQ to internal, and the Dante card to sync to host, and then set it as the preferred clock master.

Option 2: Set the SQ to clock to I/O card, and let Dante choose the master.

Use Option 2, if the SQ will not be powered up at certain times while other devices on the Dante network will still be used.

Profile photo of johnlimed
    johnlimed
    Participant

Back here after two weeks of monitoring the situation.

I went with option and it did reduce the frequency of the pops!

While it may not have reduced it totally, it does seem like the right step in the right direction.

Asking a few more questions to see whether we can figure out how to totally remove this issue.

1. I’m running a single cat 6 cable from the SQ Dante card (primary). Would running a second network cable through the secondary port help with this issue?

2. My other thought that could be a cause of this issue is, I have two other computers in the network which receive and transmit to the SQ but may not always be on. In this situation would it cause syncing issues?

3. Continuing from the previous point, if anyone of them are using an older version would that be an issue? I updated all the Dante virtual soundcards but I think the dante controllers have not been updated.

4. I’m using a router that I had previously but could it be that the router is causing the clock sync issue?

Profile photo of Q.C. den Hartog
    Q.C. den Hartog
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve had the same problem with our SQ-5 since the updating it to 1.5.3
    After installing 1.5.4 the random popping on the local outputs remained. For the time I’m using a DX168 rack that doesn’t have this problem. So the popping only occurs on the local outputs.

@KeithJ has the update been released that was supposed to fix this? I hope you can shed some light on the situation

KeithJ A&H

@Q.C. den Hartog

Yes, this bug was fixed in V1.5.4 so there must be something else going on…
    Please backup your SQ and perform a hard reset followed by a re-installation of the firmware using a fresh download (and confirm you are running V1.5.4 on the home screen), as this should rule out any software or setup issue.
    If the popping still persists, please contact us using support.allen-heath.com and we’ll figure out what’s going on.

Thanks!
    Keith.

Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hello I have Poppingnoise also. I mute al my channels and in a time of 2 hours I get 3 or 4 pops out of my speaker out of the master. I have the latest film-ware version. I can not find where maybe if I can not find it I stop working with my SQ5, I don’t want loud noises !

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

I think I found something! I know how to provoke those pops maybe you have it too? it is often when the mixer is cold than when it warms up it does it worse, now i tapped gently on the metal on the top and then it also pops not always but very often.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Look at my Video

KeithJ A&H

@peterzoetermeer

As above, please contact us using https://support.allen-heath.com as this does not sound like something relating to the bug in this thread so we will need to investigate further with you.

Thanks!
    Keith.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

I think I found the solution! mine is completely silent now! I had an output RCA on a channel from my sd player with a cable to XLR and had 2 pins Bridge on the XLR and that in he sq5. it turns out that the mixer can’t handle that and this is the solution,

I have another question! , we are tape artists, and often plug into other mixers for a new act, but several colleagues have already plugged into another mixer, now they accidentally had Phantom power turned on, and yes then you blow the sq5’s output! how can you prevent this “secure”

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.