Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erniberni
    Erniberni
    Participant

Hey there,
    maybe this helps someone. Maybe I just have luck but with my intenso hdd i never experienced any recording issues. Its a 500gb Memory Case
    If you guys find it somewhere give it a try. 16 Channels no issues only 1 mistake at the very begining ever time I start the record.
    Edit: Its a USB 3 but fully compatible to USB 1 and I have a lot of other stiff saved on it.

Profile photo of gato
    gato
    Participant

Works: SanDisk Extreme CZ80 16GB USB 3.0 SDCZ80-016G-G46
    Does Not Work: SanDisk Extreme USB 3.1 64 GB

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Failed: WD (software on it said san disk) 128G easystore usb 3.0 blue
    could not format it on Qu32
    could not format it on PC
    some forums say it uses exFAT not FAT32
    my pc said it was FAT32 but no way to verify that it really is

appears to be relabeled sandisk 128G drive

volounteer
    Participant

Summer 2019 and I am having the same issues that @barry noted in 2017.

There is one thing if the file format is wrong. But the mixer does not see the drive to format it and when we format it the way the dealer said on our PC the Qu still does not see it.

Speed is something else. If a specific device is too slow then I accept that as my problem.
    But I won’t know if I can’t format it and use it.

USB standard is also something else. Do I need USB3.0 ? USB 3.1 ?? The 2019 USB 4.0 ??? Something else ?
    There are no specs in the docs or knowledgebase telling us what to use, just pointers to a user database of stuff that should work.

USB is supposed to be a standard the USB IF sets and apparently does not enforce to protect users.
    << Universal Serial Bus (USB) is an industry standard that establishes specifications for cables and connectors and protocols for connection, communication and power supply between computers, peripheral devices and other computers. Released in 1996, the USB standard is currently maintained by the USB Implementers Forum (USB IF). >>

@barry said:
    Yes. It is beyond a joke.

I’m a software developer, Ive worked on embedded systems with USB in the linux kernel in C. The QU series USB is an absolute joke.
    I have not seen this level of USB incompatibility since the earliest days of USB – its pathetic. To be honest I am now feeling so aggrieved by this I am wondering if there is possible recourse to trading standards here – as this area of the product has not delivered what is promised. I have wasted numerous amounts of money on USB sticks – the “list” is ridiculously short.

To NOT see a USB device – unforgivable. There is not a single USB device that my laptop from 2004 doesnt see. Yet the A&H QU-SB baulks and refuses to format them.
    Incredible.

My Linux machines will see, format and use as a filesystem (name what you will ext2/3/4, rtfs, ntfs, fat32 etc) the QU hardware isnt old enough to not be compatible!!
    By my reckoning I understand that A&H can advise that certain specs of USB stick will not perform at the required level of writes, (supposedly…). However there should not be a single USB stick that cannot be seen, formatted and have at least full functionality without streaming writes. i.e. all the scene transfers etc should work as a minimum.

So whilst I am a huge A&H fan….basically I shall write formally to A&H using snail mail to complain and seek resolution to fix my duff hardware/software. Failure to resolve the matter will result in me seeking help from trading standards. I shall also examine all the literature to see if a case may be made regarding the marketing literature via the Advertising Standards Agency.

So A&H. After a year of using a QU-SB I’m at a junction whereby you can take this opportunity to fix the matter and resolve – or I shall feel no other action is possible than to press for resolution using other means – in short you are peeing off a LOT of loyal customers….is this really the way you wish to behave? Does such behaviour make good financial sense? You see when I need a bigger rig – do I buy dLive or do I walk because of this experience and examine the exceedingly good desks available from others?

volounteer
    Participant

at least your computer knows you have the memory stick.

our Qu wont recognize a memory stick that we have tried.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello people
    I have just read this whole forum and are quite stunned.
    I have only ever used the Sandisk Extreme PRO 64 USB 3 & 128 gig USB3.1 which I purchased quite some years ago and never had any issues.
    I notice that A & H have both the QU and SQ together on this form?

Is this the latest form for listed drives
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSRGk-ihkEh_jdzODLd6bPr8Lwhu-bpMtXEnyHU_EysBZeW2Qc_GjP-yt5p6p-DiIhINqsMKp44nNHJ/pubhtml?gid=1850366197&single=true

Profile photo of timhum
    timhum
    Participant

When I bought my QU16 some years ago I got a SanDisk ultra USB stick and it has worked fine. A job came up where I needed to give an editor the recording and had to source extra memory sticks. The ones I bought a few weeks ago did not work, neither did an Extreme version. Others on the list which I could source easily did not work or recorded errors when recording multitrack. I bought 6 of them altogether so wasted a lot of time and money trying to get the system to work.
    The card which worked perfectly (using firmware v1.95) is a CFast2.0 Integral Ultima Pro 32GB(it is a version of a normal CF card which does not fit the normal CF card socket).
    It has to be used with a Startech CFASTRWU3 reader/writer. It is a system used for video cameras and has a whopping 520MB/S write speed!
    It is not a cheap option but it works!!! and in fairness, a very cheap alternative if compared with a separate multitrack recorder.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

used for video cameras and has a whopping 520MB/S write speed!

Brilliant
    So is this the bottom line?
    Write speed?
    for the specs on that card reader:
    https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-CFast-Card-Reader-CFASTRWU3/dp/B071R73VNV?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B071R73VNV

volounteer
    Participant

@nzdave

I am sure there are a lot of old USB sticks that work great.

But I need to be able to go to the local store and buy what they are selling now, not waste my time on a scavenger hunt.

WHY wont the QU work with any standard USB? At least state what USB version is required, and then work right with it!
    And if speed is an issue I could live with that problem, although it would be nicer if they had less channels and more convenience, at least for us.

Profile photo of rodf
    rodf
    Participant

We bought a couple of 500GB Samsung T5 SSD drives and they have worked without errors recording 1hr30 Multitracks.
    All 5 of this year’s BBC Radio Reith Lectures were done this way.

Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Portable-SSD-T5-500GB/dp/B074MCM721/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=80264380300242&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=samsung+external+usb+drive&qid=1563673474&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Are these both Thumb Drives? Thank you in advance. Frustrating…

How do you respond to a specific post?

xyz referred to a few specific Scandisk storage devices. Scandisk Pro 64 3.0 … & … Pro 128 3.1.

Profile photo of Pumphouse
    Pumphouse
    Participant

I too found this monstrous frustration yesterday when trying to copy some mic libraries across and do a firmware update on our desk. None of the 6 sticks I tried would be seen by the excessivley ‘fussy’ desk. Come on A&H, sort this out in a firmware upgrade!! The record speed issue is understood, and cheap sticks could be relied upon not to work for that, but for a simple file transfer – it really should be easy!

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I need to purchase a couple more thumb drives but I don’t know what to get now.
    I have been using the same 2 x Sandisk Extreme 3.0 for multitrack recordings for a few years and I alternate between them – they have been rock solid but its about time I get a couple more for when these die.
    This same drive would have been my obvious choice but they are no longer made of course and the 3.1 gets thumbs down from everyone it seems. So what do I do now?
    The compatibility chart on the A&H website shows mainly the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 (no surprise there) but as they are no longer made and the fact there are only a few others that are quite expensive, I’m bit stuck.
    I have tried 6 or 7 different types of drive – none of which have worked yet have been recommended over the years in different forums so they have been thrown in the desk drawer ….
    can anyone suggest something as reliable as the Extreme in 32 or 64gb that won’t break the bank?

FYI – I have used a couple of WD hard drives successfully in the past but they are very susceptible to vibration in a live environment and quite frankly are not as convenient as a thumb drive.

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

Hi All,
    Has anyone tried the SanDisk Ultra Fit 3.1, 16GB. It won’t format on either my QU32,QU24 or QU-pac. It gives the same responses as everyone else seems to get when having problems, stuck on formatting, reading etc. Have formatted several times on Win 10 & Win 7 to FAT32, including a full format. I have the Cruzer Edge 64GB which works great, just wanted this smaller thumbnail version to minimise getting knocked by other careless desk pilots.
    Any help appreciated
    Jimmy

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

PS, If it helps anyone I’ve been using a Samsung 1tb HDD for multitrack recordings for 4 years now, still going strong, with no external power supply.
    Jimmy

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.