Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alax
    alax
    Participant

always use good quality oil during oil changes.[url=https://logicfleetservicecentre.ie/our-services/oil-change/]Oil Change Dublin[/url].oil changes should be done on time which will make our vehicles better.
    [url=https://logicfleetservicecentre.ie/our-services/oil-change/]Oil Change Dublin[/url]

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Moving on from oil changes, I am stress test recording on my SQ6 today with a spinning drive, a OWC Mercury 1TB with external power supply. 32 tracks 24/48 for a 2-hour burn. Got an hour to go. If all the files load into Reaper with no errors, I will take that drive on the next job, along with my JoeCo as a life preserver. More to come.

D.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What is this Joeco you’re speaking of ?

Btw, I use a Sandisk extreme usb3 thumb drive with great results…

Giga

tourtelot
    Participant

Just DL’d 32-tracks off the OWC Mercury drive and all the files loaded into Reaper and play back. Maybe the bus-powered Samsung SSD just can’t handle the load of a big track count. The OWC drive is externally powered. I have a 1TB SSD coming from OWC next week. Same footprint. I’ll test it then and report back.

My JoeCo BBR-64 Dante is a Dante enabled 64-track dedicated recorder. https://joeco.co.uk/bbr64-dante-joeco-multi-track-audio-recorder/ Never failed me.

D.

tourtelot
    Participant

The OWC Mercury On-The-Go 1TB SSD seems to have faired just as well. 32-tracks of 24/48, two-hour recording. All files downloaded and played back in Reaper.

A couple of on-the-job tests sohould be enough to restore my confidence in recording on the SQ.

D.

tourtelot
    Participant

I know that there are a lot of choices of media out there but can I ask why getting a reliable recording on the SQ could possibly take 34 pages of discussion? I have other recorders that don’t have nearly the reliability issues that my SQ does using a wide variety of media. Every time I think there is some consensus on what works, someone comes on the forum to find out why their “very important” recording went missing.

Maybe I should ask in the Feature Suggestions forum but how about A&H figure out what to recommend for a bomb-proof recording media and end the questions, guesses, and heartbreak of recording off the SQ. My boss has a Presonus panel and while I think that it mostly doesn’t hold a candle to my SQ, every time we ask it to make a multi-track recording, it does so without fail. Hmmm. Fix this please.

I still don’t feel safe recording from the SQ.

D.

Profile photo of Jos
    Jos
    Participant

Thanks for putting the database together; it’s really helpful to have a list to consult! A couple requests for whomever is currently managing the list:

• If possible, could you enable sorting and/or filtering on the list? It would be REALLY helpful to be able to, say, sort by manufacturer so we can find all the SanDisk drive results, or to filter the list to show only the things tested on SQ devices.
    • It seems a bit esoteric, but it would be really helpful if you could provide the USB device ID string for each item — this is the string that the device shows in your hardware manager when you plug it in. On Windows, this would be the ‘FriendlyName’ column that shows up when you run powershell "Get-PnpDevice -PresentOnly | Where-Object { $_.InstanceId -match '^USB' }"; on a Mac, it’s the string that shows up when you run ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l | grep 'USB Product Name'. So many manufacturers use the same product name for multiple generations or versions of a product that having the unique identifier would be helpful to narrow things down. (Providing the other info like the product ID from the USB device listing would be extra-cool!)

Once again, thanks for maintaining this list — it’s a great resource to have available rather than playing trial-and-error!

Profile photo of Keith
    Keith
    Participant

I notice some work with one version of firmware but not another. I need to update a QU-16 from 1.9 to 1.95 so it will be compatible with the QU-pad* I just downloaded. The thing is, if I buy one that formats on 1.9 so I can give the desk its firmware upgrade, then presumably it will no longer work as soon as the desk is on 1.95 ??
    Can someone give me advise on a reliable USB drive that works irrespective of firmware?
    I had no idea this would be a problem when I bought the mixer. Seems a mess to me.

* QU-pad from Apple store says it is 1.95, I assume that is for 1.95 firmware on the desk – I cannot get it to recognise my QU-16 yet.

Thanks,
    Keith. (who has plugged a whole range of USB drives into the Q-drive slot and yet to see one being read!).

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

My go to USB for many years and firmware versions has been the Kingston Data Traveler series.
    For a faster drive that will do multitrack recording I have a Samsung BAR Plus 64gb.

Profile photo of Keith
    Keith
    Participant

Thanks Mike. This morning I found, in a kitchen draw, an unpromising cheap plastic Integral USB 3 device (no idea where it came from) and it worked for format and store scene – I have not tried audio recording as this thing is not up to that anyway. Unfortunately I cannot find much out about it, so I don’t think it is useful for me to add it to the list.
    This illustrates the general difficulty – there seems to be no discernable pattern to which works and which does not. I must say this USB interface really lets the side down on otherwise exceptionally good performance of A&H kit (which I am now an enthusiast for, with everything from Z-24 to iLive 112.).

Profile photo of Einstein
    Einstein
    Participant

For our mates in this community… My Sandisk SSD 1TB works without any fail or error during live recording.
    I have Qu-24 and tested during a live show 2 weeks ago and I’am mixing with a Cubase DAW for stream and CD project, now.
    Highly recomendable.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Papanate
    Papanate
    Participant

I have a QU-32 – SanDisk 32GB Ultra Flair USB 3.0 Flash Drive just stalls at Formatting – can’t see why – it works fine on my SQ-48.

Profile photo of altalake
    altalake
    Participant

Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB thumb drive has been working well until recently. Blackmagic test shows 350MB/sec write, 393MB/sec read. Formatted as Fat32 in a Qu16.
    On recent recording session (Multitrack) it threw an error and stopped recording for about 10 seconds about an hour into the recording. Didn’t see the error until after stopping the recording. Fortunately we had backup so no ultimate loss. The resulting wave file shows no indication of a dropout when viewed in a DAW.
    Other than the device becoming temperamental, the only explanation I have is that I didn’t reformat the drive before starting a new recording. Perhaps some digital dirt left on the drive after it was read in a Mac?
    Always a good idea to reformat in the Qu, of course, but any other theories?

Profile photo of aurix
    aurix
    Participant

The form does not work – I am not able to check any radio buttons or enter any text.
    Tried it in Chrome and Edge on Win10 and Android.
    Is it faulty or am I doing sth wrong?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Altalake: to me your story sounds like somehow the recording got paused and restarted again ? Otherwise you’d think the waveform should show a blank during that 10 second gap ?

I think I’m using the exact same drive you are using for about 6 – 7 years now and it never gave me trouble except one time where it skipped an entire track (which I still think was caused by the guest soundman at the time)

Good luck !

Giga

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.