Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-Drive Compatible USB Device Database

Tagged: 

This topic contains 510 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike G Mike G 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

We use a portable Seagate spinner with no major problems.

Profile photo of Isaiah
    Isaiah
    Participant

Qu 24 I done multitrack recording files showing in PC but I got only empty files no audio recorded in tracks only some digital noise plz help me

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

New PNY 16G – ‘not compatible’

New SanDisk Ultra usb3 16G – ‘not compatible’

About 2 dozen fails and only one very old staples generic usb2 8G I found in a box of my OLD computer stuff worked.

Profile photo of bethelsound
    bethelsound
    Participant

I’ve been using various USB thumb drives on the A&H tested/compatible list for the last year.

The model that was available for sale and that’s given the least problems is the Transcend JetFlash 810 USB 3.0 64 GB.

Reading and formatting by the console work fine.
    But…

It regularly errors when attempting to record multi-track.
    It shows no errors when recording in stereo, but is always found later to have dropped 5-10 second chunks of that recording at many points during a 30-45 minute sermon.

This is mission critical.

This should be basic functionality, and it shouldn’t read as error-free when it’s not.

FYI, I’m following all the recommended procedures, including re-formatting before each use, keeping firmware up-to-date (1.93 build 4555)

volounteer
    Participant

@bethelsound

I would say the speed is not fast enough even though it works otherwise.
    Or it could be you need to format it again, andor defrag it, if it had worked okay previously.

Have you tried recording in a DAW instead of on the usb drive?

My problem is finding any USB that works at all.
    All we want to do is back up the device not record in RT.
    It is totally crazy that any drive would fail to be recognized and allow us to do that.

Profile photo of YodaNoFear
    YodaNoFear
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Qu-Sub and this is the first time posting. I thought that I’d done my due diligence and bought two USB flash drives that were approved on the list but neither worked for multi-tracking:

• Transcend JetFlash 710s 32GB
    • SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Force Flash Drive

So I guess those can come off the list. I was really trying to find one that was metal so when it was sticking out the front it couldn’t have the connector broken off by accident. No luck yet. Has there been any metal USB flash drives that many people have had success with?

Thanks!

Profile photo of YodaNoFear
    YodaNoFear
    Participant

My USB charge was spoiled by children. They put modeling clay in there and now it doesn’t work anymore..

Profile photo of cafewalter
    cafewalter
    Participant

YodaNoFear, I doubt that plastic vs metal will make much difference – I think the jack would break before the USB drive! Those drives are surprisingly tough.

Now, what has already broken, is my patience with A&H on this issue. I’m about ready to start a class action suit. Everyone who’s bought one of these mixers should be getting some money back – we were all sold a feature set that doesn’t actually exist.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Please try a usb3 portable hard drive before giving up. I’ve used one for several years plugged into my church’s Qu-24 with only one glitch, and that was probably because I hadn’t formatted the drive with the board for several months before the glitch happened.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’ve recorded whole weekends of multitrack quite successfully using this as per attached pic

Profile photo of jmannn
    jmannn
    Participant

I’ve Had my Qu-24 since 2014 and been using a Sandisk Extreme 3.0 recording multitrack for at least 30 shows without any problems at all. These flash drives are super fast and that’s why they work.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cafewalter
    Participant

Garyh, Jmannn, Xyz – I’m glad you guys are happy. But if you read through this long thread, you’ll see that for everyone reporting success for a given device, there are also people who have that exact same device and it’s not working.

Imagine if this mixer only worked with a few models of microphones. Imagine that I had to have my “blessed” SM57, and I knew that if it ever died I’d be out of luck, because a new SM57 might not work. Imagine if a singer came up to me and said they wanted to use their own mic, and I had to say “sorry, this mixer only works with a couple of microphones, so you’ll have to use mine – even if we get yours working at the top of show, it might crap out half way through.”

That’s *exactly* the situation with the USB port. A few devices work, for a few people, some of the time, and there’s no way to say which ones will or won’t. The majority of devices don’t work, and it’s increasingly difficult to find any that do.

The only reason that 3/4s of us on this thread still own this mixer is because we can get away without needing the USB port. But we bought the mixer in part because of this feature. It would be like buying a mixer that had mic inputs, but most of the time you only need the line inputs, because the mic inputs mostly don’t work.

Allen-Heath have screwed their customers, and they are doing nothing at all to remedy the situation. It’s truly remarkable, and it’s a sad ending to what used to be a reputable company.

volounteer
    Participant

@cafewalter

It is odd that so many USBs will not work. And that AH won’t sell any that are guaranteed to work.
    I wonder what the real problem is? Perhaps they cannot guarantee that any USB will work.
    Did they try to game the USB standard and get caught with their knickers twisted or what?
    Why doesn’t the device just format ANY usb the way they want it?
    Why can’t it recognize them at all? All my devices will recognize them even if they can’t use them.

AH should tell us the details of how they determine a usb is there and how they recognize it.
    And exactly what the characteristics it needs are and the exact format so we could format somewhere else and get them to work.
    Else, they really should be honest and update the documentation and say that it may or may not work and not hype it as a feature to use.

Except for the USB fiasco this is a very nice device that is trying to do just a bit more than the hardware and software can do without problems. If we don’t push too far then it is great for our needs. But for those few folks who need the most possible what options do they have now?

The real question is what did they do so terribly bad wrong that they have this problem at all? This is just not a problem with so many other devices where almost any USB will mix and match just fine. I do have problems with some of the very newest USBs on my old Win98SE computer. And if there were a driver then those would work too. And yes that computer is still running just fine!

I have had a few USB problems with my XP computer and otherwise that one is also running just fine! Most of those problems came down to worthless new crappy features some USB maker tried to add for some unknown reason. One was a driver issue but most drivers seem to be handled automatically with the XP itself when it sees a new USB memory stick.

USB works just fine on my CD changer as long as I use WMA files and not WAV.

What will AH be doing with the next generation of mixers? Will they repeat this fiasco with an SD slot or worse force us to use a mini micro or nano sized_SD du jour when that time comes?

Clearly we need a reliable way to back up the data. Something simple easy and cheap. As to recording it would appear that most folks either do not need it or else they can use the usbB to a DAW okay. We can burn a custom CD to cue for playback if we need to, although a better USB I/F would be more convenient.

I just wish AH would be totally honest and tell the truth so we can figure out how to live with it and stop wondering WHY?
    Maybe also tell us what they will do different next time.

If this feature was vital to them then are they losing sales to the many other manufacturers?
    If it is not vital then why did they do it , and do it this way, and just stonewall everybody?

volounteer
    Participant

@jmannn

I have tried every Sandisk (adjective) usb3 I can find. They do NOT work. Not recognized!! Won’t even try to format!!!!!

This is NOW 2019 tomorrow is 2020. Your USBs are OLDE and the new ones do NOT work!!!!!!!!!

If you have a solution for newer users without a stash of OLDE USBs please let us know as the ones we buy now FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

cafewalter
    Participant

@volounteer, my best guess is that A&H’s ownership has gotten so messed up because of them being sold and resold to different private equity firms that at this point they have gone a decade or more with management that just wants to suck them dry rather than build brand loyalty. I don’t have any insider info, it’s just a hunch based on their behavior and on the public record of their ownership.

I used to be a factory authorized service center for A&H and I gave up in part because of stuff like this. It’s so discouraging to see a formerly strong company fall into the same vortex of disposable product culture.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 511 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.