Please A&H, we need more EQ options

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Please A&H, we need more EQ options

This topic contains 42 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob Briessinck Bob Briessinck 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Been mentioned here before, but I just really want to make a clear and serious plea for an expansion of the channel EQ of the dLive. Pretty much all aspects of this console is class-leading to me (all I need is an 4000E style compressor), and with the addition of the Prime preamp cards that I am very keen to try, we should be well on our way to something exceptionally good!

BUT, there is one thing the dLive just does not do very well – EQ. The channel EQ, to me, is the bottleneck of the sound quality of this console. All the features are there, but somehow it does not sound nice to my ears. The high shelf is very odd to me, even a 20k high shelf will reach way too far down into the high mids, and sound harsh, before sounding smooth and open. The bell is better, but not perfect. I can’t explain exactly what it is about this EQ, I am sure it is a standard minimum phase EQ like other desks, but it never really excites me. It just works, nothing more. Coming from a Midas Pro, this is the one thing I am really truly missing, a more musical EQ. Punchy lows, aggressive mids and smooth highs is how I remember the Midas EQ – the dLive EQ is the exact opposite. Every time I touched the Midas Pro EQ I felt I contributed to quality of sound of the source, every time I EQ on the dLive, I feel like I am compromising… The same feeling as a DigiCo for me (Which is NOT a compliment).

I know this is not very objective, but I would really appreciate A&H looking into a variation of EQ modes, for those of us who do not appreciate the very clinical approach of the current EQ. We have so many great DEEP compressor modes, and no variations of EQ mode. I can’t say anything scientifical about what I am after, but I just know this is the aspect of the dLive I enjoy the least – please please please put this in top of the priority list.

Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

+1 I Totally agree!! much more important then RTA overlay.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I’m not against additional EQ modes or even an EQ insert option (like Dyn8, but for EQ with more options), but you are actually criticizing the channel EQ for doing what it is supposed to do: Changing level frequency dependent with the settings used while NOT affecting the signal in other ways (except phase of course). What you want is EQing with character, which is fine by me as an option.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Doing what it is supposed to do? It is not “supposed” to limit my possibilities, as it does now. Almost all other consoles on the market has additionel EQ modes by now. It is not about making “incorrect” eq modes, but being able to obtain the curves I need.

Profile photo of Jeyz
    Jeyz
    Participant

Hello, I note that the graphical representation of EQ curves does not correspond to what I am used to.
    Let me explain : when I drop a frequency with a 1/4 bandwidth, the graph looks like the one equivalent to a 1/2 bandwidth on other boards.
    With 1/2 to 1, with 1 to 2, etc. twice as wide…
    This is not a concern because I trust my ears more than my eyes but please tell me if I missed something.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

This is crazy! I’m a prospective buyer and this may be a deal breaker. I’ve downloaded Director 1.80 and noticed that the PEQ drawing representation is not linear to the BW of an octave. It ranges from around 2x at the widest 1.5 setting up to 3x at the 1/9th setting compared to the industry standard BW octave scale: https://www.rane.com/note170.html.

Also, what is it with the ‘purist’ labeling for the console to use a combination of decimals and fractions like “1/9” instead of just “0.11” rounded? Yes, “1/2”, “1/3”, and “1/4” are not that difficult, but when comparing neighboring values of mixed fractions puts a strain on anyone who is not a mathematician. I’d suggest a global setting that allows a selection of the numbering system representation of your choice. While you are at it, add ‘Q’ as an option.

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

I forgot to comment about the shelving behavior from the original post. The BW appears to be fixed at about 2 octaves with the frequency selected at an awkward spot. Whereas, most software will reference the frequency at the natural pivot point of the shelf. Therefore, the dLive poses a problem by not allowing it to go above 20kHz which works out to be only 8.2kHz when compared to a normal system. This is bad. I don’t think R&D thought this through. This will be tough to fix without breaking backward compatibility. But, it should be doable. They’ll also need to deal with the low shelf in a similar way. It would also be cool if they exposed BW on the shelving EQ to allow a range from something like 1.3 to 2.3 octaves.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I forgot to comment about the shelving behavior from the original post. The BW appears to be fixed at about 2 octaves with the frequency selected at an awkward spot. Whereas, most software will reference the frequency at the natural pivot point of the shelf.

there are many different ways to do this and none of them is wrong, they are just different
    and a shelfing has no bandwith

SteffenR
    Participant

This is crazy! I’m a prospective buyer and this may be a deal breaker. I’ve downloaded Director 1.80 and noticed that the PEQ drawing representation is not linear to the BW of an octave. It ranges from around 2x at the widest 1.5 setting up to 3x at the 1/9th setting compared to the industry standard BW octave scale: https://www.rane.com/note170.html.

Also, what is it with the ‘purist’ labeling for the console to use a combination of decimals and fractions like “1/9” instead of just “0.11” rounded? Yes, “1/2”, “1/3”, and “1/4” are not that difficult, but when comparing neighboring values of mixed fractions puts a strain on anyone who is not a mathematician. I’d suggest a global setting that allows a selection of the numbering system representation of your choice. While you are at it, add ‘Q’ as an option.

this is totally academic and highly irrelevant to the practical use

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

there are many different ways to do this and none of them is wrong, they are just different and a shelfing has no bandwith

It is more than just “different” as you put it. It is a limitation for my use and the thread starter. Perhaps, it doesn’t affect you, but does that give you the right to nullify another persons concern?

And, you are most certainly incorrect about shelving! They do have an associated bandwidth. It is basically related to the transition width of the shelf. The transition width (bandwidth) is possible to be adjusted, but they just need to expose that hidden parameter. It is currently set to 2.0 octaves, but you can’t see it. It is easy to reverse engineer the actual value with the software tools that I have written.

Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

Yes the eq is terrible and weak. I have been saying this from day one. You can cut a frequency by 3-5db and sweep anywhere and barely hear a difference. I have actually shown people this. It doesn’t really change the tone of anything. The channel your trying to fix still retains the same tone even after drastic eq. I feel like I can’t really change the sound of anything. And the highs are very sibilant.
    Listen to the mix off on Allen and heaths
    YouTube channel. All the mixes sound the same tonally. Just different levels of things.
    I’m starting to think they chose this eq because of its low processor load and not it’s tone.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

Completely disagree. I find the dLive EQ as effective as any other desk I used. Whether the screen representation is accurate doesn’t really matter to me. Use your hears.

Although, some vintage / character EQs would be a welcome addition.

@Alu sounds like you are very dissatisfied with everything dLive from your forum posts. I find this odd given the number of venues and engineers selecting it over the rest. Did you get someone from A&H to check your system? There might be something wrong with the desk or the rest of the PA?

SteffenR
    Participant

Although, some vintage / character EQs would be a welcome addition.

no doubt about it…
    and more parametric bands on outputs… 😉

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

As much as I would love to see 8 bands on output, I wonder how A&H could get around their self set limitation to 4 bands from a control point of view with the surfaces? Any suggestions?

SteffenR
    Participant

2 pages with 4 bands on each…??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.