Multiple iPads (for individual monitor mixes)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Multiple iPads (for individual monitor mixes)

This topic contains 92 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DocDocDocDoc
    DocDocDocDoc
    Participant

@owai:

for these “hand-made” devices, it is quite easy to build a “master” conected by tcp to the QU16, and multiple slaves connected to the master, so the QU16 sees only one device 🙂

I in deed have considered this option. But it’s not true that it is quite easy. After all, a safe implementation of such a program would need to be aware of the full MIDI implementation of the Qu-16. For example, switching mute on/off on a channel involves sending (or receiving) two note-on events. Hence, it must be ensured by such a program that Qu messages encapsulated into multiple MIDI events are not split in the middle and mixed up if multiple clients send the same information simultaneously.

Furthermore, the Qu can be requested to send a parameter dump or the current meter status (creating plenty of traffic) – if one iPad requests meter status, and the other doesn’t – what to do? Send all data to both? Keep track of which one requested what?

It’s not impossible, but doing this properly is a lot more work than one might think at a first glance.

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

ok… I was speaking about master / slaveS with DIY devices, not and Ipad, …

but you are true about the “one DIY master / multiple Ipads” config!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d really like to see this as well.
    I’m likely to be leaving the mixer on stage and doing all the real work via remote control.

Two main use cases I envisage:
    – Musicians having a cut down “more me” mixer on their stands (even an phone based app)
    – Me having a second screen available, displaying the meters page, and the RTA, at all times.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Agree with OP.
    Multiple iPhone/iPad (Even iPod touch) abilities so each member can mix their own monitor mix is very important to me.

Heck, I’d even pay an amount for the app (Or rather my band members would pay for it).

It would be an app JUST for monitor mixes though.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I almost wonder whether a proxy would be easier – so you connect a proxy (maybe something running on a Raspberry Pi (other low cost hardware is available) which connects to the QU-* and allows connections from multiple devices – so band members could have “mix n” login, and FOH could have everything – maybe with a second connection showing the RTA and meters?

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

I agree: an arduino/rPi “proxi” should be possible. either with ipads as slaves, either with other adruinos/DIY devices as slaves

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

This is a no brainer and should have been put in a long time ago. MANY bands and churches use in ear monitors. For each user to be able to bring up his or her’s personal mix is huge. Even the OLD Presonus boards allow this. The new Mackie DL32r is boasting this and they are not even out yet. It will allow 10 devices and like the Presonus, allow you to lock out certain parts which prevents a member from accidently grabbing the wrong mix. Also, they have an iPHone version for the personal mix.

I’m telling you, this missing feature will cause people to go with other brands. I almost did myself but I figured it was a new product and hopefully they will release a version soon. Still waiting! 🙂

Profile photo of DocDocDocDoc
    DocDocDocDoc
    Participant

Me too, still waiting! We’re using a custom-made TCP/IP foot switch with the Qu16, but we can’t use an iPad simultaneously. Not so great.

Can the Qu16 talk TCP/IP and USB-MIDI simultaneously? That would perhaps be a workaround, but it turned out that accessing the MIDI-USB from the RaspberryPi embedded computer in the foot switch is tricky (should be somehow possible, though).

Still, I don’t regret that we chose the Qu16. It is powerful but simple enough to do basic adjustments (like monitors or managing feedbacks on the GEQ) on stage in between two songs.

So please, people at A&H, make this good console a heavenly console and give us multiple TCP/IP connections! 🙂

Best
    Doc4

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I believe the USB Midi can be used at the same time.

I’d be happy with a Proxy software solution at the moment, but I’d rather the desk supported multiple connections directly.

Most people are looking at limited control – so a few faders controlling a mix output – not a full fat connection. It would be nice to get a level meter (mix AFL) out to the user as well…

coffee_king
    Participant

Don’t forget iPhone/iPod Touch QU-Pad apps too.
    Most people I know own iPhones (and they are always in their pocket unlike iPads in pockets) and to enable users to simply have them adjust SOLELY their own monitor mix would be great.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

Wow.. the new PreSonus StudioLive RM32AI coming out will offer 16 simultaneous connections from Ipad, Iphone, Android and Windows 8 tablets.

Like you guys, I LOVE my QU16 and don’t regret my purchase but I REALLY hope their developers are taking notice and have put this on the top of their high priority list.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

hope their developers are taking notice and have put this on the top of their high priority list.

It is on top of our list indeed, and I hope to have some news to share next week. Bear with us a few more days.

coffee_king
    Participant

It is on top of our list indeed, and I hope to have some news to share next week. Bear with us a few more days.

Whoo-hoo, dreams can come true 🙂

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

I get mildly concerned about access control when multiple ipads are involved. Even if a muso is on ears so they can only mess with their own mix and not affect the anyone else or the stage noise, and there’s no risk of feedback if their monitor gets too hot because they’re using IEMs and not a wedge, I’d still be concerned that they could inadvertently change a mix other than their own.

Presonus addressed this in their SL series by having all wifi devices go through a computer and then to the mixer, and the computer controlled which devices had access to which mixes. They got a bit of grief for needing to carry a computer and a wifi router just for wifi control, but it worked. On their DL series, Mackie managed to implement access control without a computer between the mixer and the wifi router, but the lockout had to be applied to each individual ipad, and whoever was using said ipad had to be trusted to not go unlocking it. Of course this approach won’t stop anything malicious, but will stop a muso inadvertently switching to the wrong mix.

In my ideal world there would be a tab somewhere in the Setup>Control page on the Qu (possibly integrated into the networking tab) that would list connected devices, and by default they’d have access to nothing. Whoever’s standing in front of the Qu could then configure what mix(es) and controls each device can access. I’ve no idea whether the Qu has the processing power available for this though, still, I’m interested to see what happens. Just having the capability for multiple ipad control will tick a box on quite a few peoples’ wish lists, and will help the Qu compete with its competitors.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

While I love my Qu24 the best, I do think Mackie’s DL1608 has nice features with regard to the “lock-out” of control of the i-devices that are connected to the system.

Kinda silly of me to mention this because I am quite confident that A&H has already seen and documented all the various features found on ALL the other manufacturer’s digital mixers with iPad control.

Again, thank you so much Nicola for contributing to this forum’s topics so that we KNOW our voices are being heard!!!!

Priceless 🙂
    Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.