Firmware V1.9 ETA?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Firmware V1.9 ETA?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 117 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Can’t agree more with that.
    But the reason for their decision could only be speculation up until they are “open and honest” to us customers about it. A phrase they stress so often in other respects…

Profile photo of andrewyager
    andrewyager
    Participant

I think for all of us we exactly agree with this sentiment. We love our dLive’s and the ability to create beautiful sound for us and our clients. We know that many of the rumoured features (e.g. Sennheiser support) will make our lives better, and we keen to design and work faster, better and more creatively.

It’s not like our dLive’s don’t work. It’s not like we can’t do amazing things – but we are all champing at the bit to do it well.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’ll just add that the Avantis development isn’t exactly moving forward at a fast pace either. It’s had a couple of maintenance releases (3 to be exact), but only one major release (firmware 1.10) in the 18 months it’s been available, and it went 11 months during COVID without ANY sort of firmware update. DLive had 4 major and 6 minor firmware updates during it’s first 18 months and has continued to get fairly regular maintenance updates throughout this COVID period. So while everyone is complaining that Avantis is getting “all the love”, I’d say that A&H is really struggling with software development right now in both lines of consoles.

Profile photo of Ilrusso
    Ilrusso
    Participant

I think you’re right @brian.
    I read in the news here in Germany: Sennheiser, RCF, D&b – they are all on short-time work due to corona. I wouldn’t be surprised if A&H struggels with the same problems. With a reduced team it all takes longer, that’s clear.
    But on the other side I’m really glad to see a progress, even it’s a small one.

When we decided to buy a new mixer a few years ago there were some guys in our team which absolutely wanted a VI.

I’m glad it turned out to be a dlive because VI is “dead”.

So I’m looking forward for some fancy new features for the dlive – keep on doing A&H. All the Best 🙂

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

@ilrusso It is not only vi that is forgotten, samsung has no interest in pro audio.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m an happy SQ/Qu buyer and user but to be honest I moderate my enthusiasm:even if A&H support is good and listens to customer, I agree that the software development part is for me the weak point of the brand.

In my experience I bought my QU and my SQ when they came out and several fonctions announced at the start were not present in the 1st firmware of each.

I don’t know how the development software is organised at A&H but it’s sn important point to improve.

Best

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

With all the criticism, however, we must not forget that because of the worldwide shortage of electronic components, A&H has nevertheless put a lot of work into adapting many devices to other components. And new components also require the adaptation of firmware, as could be read in the release notes for dLive, Avantis and SQ.
    I don’t have the impression that the team there is somehow asleep.

Nevertheless, after the long time we are simply hungry for extensions and improvements, and now there would be a little time to thoroughly familiarise ourselves with new features. That’s why we would be very happy if new functions were to be added soon.

And thank you for this great product!

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Still assumption and speculation until we get a official statement.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

As far as I have heard, the manufacturer no longer gives out any advance information.
    So only when the new version is released will we be able to find out more.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Not sure if no communication is the solution in their relationship to fanboys/customers. I doubt…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Not sure if no communication is the solution in their relationship to fanboys/customers. I doubt…

that’s not the same as saying nothing about the new firmware release and the estimated release date …
    they do communicate
    you can ask the A&H staff many things here in the forum or on FB

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I would sooner it take a little longer and be fully tested than have it crash mid show on me. It’s not like the current version does not work.. A&H would take a great deal of stick if they announced, leaked rumoured some feature was coming then it did not happen, best to keep quiet IMHO. Mind you at the rate shows are being cancelled and postponed the desk along with the rest of the gear will be staying in the warehouse.😡

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

There is a huge difference between in house testing and what happens out there in the wild. Tester of the manufacturer do a certain set of tests but users do complete different things, combine the device with others the the in house tester and so on. The real truth of the quality of a software version is only revealed when customer will use it.
    And I think the time window for a safe release of 1.9 is closed now. Because when now the customer will use their devices for the upcoming events, nobody will risk to work with the new feature release. In the time between the last feature release and the next one they will include a lot of more or less complex features, I guess, and that will lead to bigger changes of the software. So it would be a good idea when customer reserve a lot of time to test the next feature version very intensive.

And I personally see no real reason why not to publish the planned features from the very beginning of the development of the next version. That will allow customers to somehow vote for the one or the other and will help the manufacturer to control that list. And I think nobody will be disappointed when not all feature will be part of the next version. That is for me just an excuse not to publish such a list. It is just a question of how to organize your customer relationship and your software development process.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

And I think nobody will be disappointed when not all feature will be part of the next version.

the experiences in the last 25years show the opposite… there are always people that complain about not realized features

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

I would sooner it take a little longer and be fully tested than have it crash mid show on me. It’s not like the current version does not work..

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that statement.
    What’s got people frustrated is that the time between us being told it’s “In testing, we hope to release in a month or 2” and the still-unreleased now is measured in years.

Mfk0815 makes some very good points about testing.
    There’s only so much a development team can test, the real test comes from getting it out there into the mass of the user base.
    Look at Microsoft with their mega bucks budgets, even they occasionally release an update that has to be rolled back or updated again within days or hours of release.
    I’m not suggesting that everything possible isn’t done to mitigate this possibility before release but they can only go so far.

Back to repeating myself, I think the current size of the 1.9 update may have shot everyone in the foot.
    If updates were developed in an iterative fashion where updates are much more frequent but affect a much smaller portion of code each time then the chances of releasing a version which crashes are reduced (in theory anyway) and the user base feels that constant progress is being made. Maybe the fact that there’s FPGA code to consider means that it’s not as simple as that (there I go wildly speculating again).
    It’s certainly an interesting situation.

Mind you at the rate shows are being cancelled and postponed the desk along with the rest of the gear will be staying in the warehouse.😡

Yep. My one big event of the year has just been cancelled (in spite of all legal requirements being planned for and met) due to the obstructive nature of the local authority so my S7k will remain a coffee table ornament for a while longer.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.