About GigaACE cable lenght

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions About GigaACE cable lenght

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mr-B Mr-B 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of EdvardasFX
    EdvardasFX
    Participant

Hello,

does anyone can tell me about gigaACE maximum safest cable lenght between desk and mixrack? was tried and can confirm?
    For example midas/behringer manufacturer telling 100m, but in real world not more that 50m.
    so how it is with GigaACE?

thanks

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

All our transport protocols are Ethernet Layer 2 compliant and tested to work with 100m CAT5e (or higher) STP cables.
    To the best of my knowledge AES50 (as used by Midas) uses the Physical Layer only, not Ethernet packets, which might explain different cable spec or performance.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

A&H is recommending 100 m at the maximum, but I successfully used 130 m Cordial CAT7A Long run in the past.
    Never had problems with cables shorter than 100 m.

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

A maximum of 100 m is the maximum for LAN cables, not that 100 m is possible in all cases.

It depends on the thickness and structure of the connectors and the wires that make up the cable.

It also depends on temperature.

If the cable is to be rewound repeatedly in a temporary installation, periodic cable tests are recommended, if possible.

The link is an example.

https://shop.klotz-ais.com/pub/Graphics/Spezialseite/C5PS_e.pdf

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

In reality, I already had the following:
    From the mixrack to a wall connection on stage 20m CAt5e, then 73m CAT7 house cable, 1m patch cable at the patch field, 25m CAT7 house cable to the FOH floor tank, there again 5m CAt5e to the surface.
    In total 124m
    I have used this several times and it has always worked stable.

Of course, this is no guarantee, but it shows that the system works quite well.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

If you use a pair of giggabit media converters even running Multimode you should achieve 550m between ends plus the length of the link ethercon cables. I think there is a note in the A&H help files about this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.