S-link and Ethernet over Power

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions S-link and Ethernet over Power

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of viperius viperius 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of viperius
    viperius
    Participant

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but as I have an SQ5 then I am hoping its a good place to start.

Currently connect to stage box vi S-link RJ45 CAT6 straight out desk into stage box.

Question would it work using one of those Ethernet over Power adapters. (Basically lets you use the electrical ring as a network)
    The reason being we want to put the stage box in the middle of the room and we have a power socket there already. It may come down to running a cable under the floor but I want to explore options before doing that.

Thanks in anticipation

Kenny

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

So, the short answer is I don’t know if it would work.

A&H makes mention of being able to use “media converters and switches” on an Slink port which leads me to believe it supports Ethernet standards and theoretically could work with a power line type Ethernet extender.

However, I do know that I wouldn’t want to trust it for something critical like this. These types of devices barely work well enough for most standard types of ethernet/IP/data extension and can be finicky. Any types of interference or glitching could cause serious audio disruptions so I would just do whatever necessary to run a standard supported Cat5e or higher cable between the stage boxes and console.

https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403666880913-General-Connecting-to-the-SLink-port

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I would be shocked (no pun intended) if it worked reliably.

Basic “computer” data is pretty insensitive to timing and has built in data checks and ways to resend data if there was packet loss, etc. Even then, most “ethernet over power” converters are notoriously unreliable. When it comes to the ultra low latency audio data that these devices are going to be passing, there are no data checks or ways to resend data on packet loss, etc. That missing data is simply lost which can produce audio artifacts or a complete loss of signal.

Long story short, as bad as these converters are for data that can be fairly latent, they are going to perform even worse for data that is as time critical as the audio data that you want to pass. I would 100% be working towards a hardwired ethernet solution – even if that means using some sort of cable protector/ramp/tray on the floor that the wire is laid into and is safe for people to walk on without the cable being a tripping hazard.

Profile photo of viperius
    viperius
    Participant

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to check with those who know better than I do.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.