suggestions

This topic contains 537 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KB7981 KB7981 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 538 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bob-Bickerton
    Bob-Bickerton
    Participant

Used my new iLive system for the first time last weekend in a Gala Opening Concert of the newly refurbished Theatre Royal in Nelson, New Zealand, the Southern Hemisphere’s oldest theatre.

The concert featured 26 acts in four hours with anything from 4 piece bands to 20 radio mics on stage.

Absolute testament to the iLive that I was able to mix the concert seamlessly after only having it less than a week!

Without question this is a fantastic piece of kit, but here are my suggestions for improvements. Some of these have been covered previously, but perhaps not from quite the same angle:

Scene – ‘Preferences’ in addition to edit

Quite often it makes sense not to save ‘all’ parameters into a scene, but rather selected parameters. This can be done by using the edit window, a little clumsy, but possible. But say you only want to save one set of parameters (let’s say mutes) for each of the scenes throughout a show. Currently this has to be done by saving one scene and then copy and pasting it as many times as you think you’ll need.

My suggestion is that the ‘Edit’ option should be able to be toggled as a ‘Preferences’ option. In other words you establish which parameters will be saved as a ‘Preferences’ option and this applies to all scenes saved until such time as the preference parameters are changed – seems to make more sense to me.

Scene – Insert

Currently there’s no option to ‘Insert’ a scene into a list of scenes in a show. The workaround is to move a bunch of scenes, somewhat clumsy and more open to error. Bit of an oversight it seems?

Scene – Overwrite A Parameter Mode

Imagine a situation where you have saved a number of scenes, but need to change one parameter (let’s say EQ on one input) on all the saved scenes. Currently that would mean recalling each scene, then re-setting the parameter, updating, etc.

It would be far more efficient to be able to ‘Select’ a channel, then select the parameter you want to apply, then select the scenes you wish to apply it to, including an ‘All Scenes’ option.

Rotary Encoder

I feel the Rotary Encoder above each channel fader is currently under utilized.

It would be good if this could be applied to a wide number of functions, especially useful would be the ability to have it as an effects send, perhaps toggled with other functions through the programmable buttons.

Crossover/Speaker Management

Whilst I understand many situations will have dedicated speaker management systems, it would seems a small step to create onboard crossovers and other speaker management tools, to make the system ‘outboard free’ in simpler scenarios!

Cheers

Bob

Home Page

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix
    … the accuracy that they can offer – 1/60th of an octave!

Which is totally useless in a live situation – a little temperature change and feedback will return.

Greetings,
    Walter

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Walter – Care to elaborate on that? I know humidity changes have an effect on frequency response in the air – However most speaker (and microphone) resonances and peaks in response that cause primary feedback issues are mechanical/structural in nature and so don’t change with humidity/temperature variations. The change in attenuation through air caused by a change in humidity (over time) will be very minimal as the distance between a speaker and stage mic is normaly only a few meters. I am not aware of having any issues with the original notched frequencies returning. Perhaps we should start a new topic?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Bob!

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Bickerton
    Rotary Encoder

It would be good if this could be applied to a wide number of functions, especially useful would be the ability to have it as an effects send,…

You can already Bob – just turn on “Sends on Rotaries” for each Aux

The scene store “preferences” has been requested B4 and I agree is needed! – Along the same lines I suggested a scene store library where you set channels/parameters and store that as a save preset.

With the edit scene window open it would be good to be able to toggle through the memories to see what is stored in each memory without needing to close it/select next/open edit window again.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

Richard,

There’s an article on the Rane website https://www.rane.com/note158.html that explains it much better than I could.
    I agree that 1/3 Octave is too wide and in my experience somewhere around 1/10 Octave seems to be the best compromise between sound and stability, especially for the first 2 or 3 FB frequencies.

Greetings,
    Walter

Profile photo of Bob-Bickerton
    Bob-Bickerton
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

Welcome to the forum Bob!

You can already Bob – just turn on “Sends on Rotaries” for each Aux

Thanks Richard!

Bob

Home Page

Profile photo of AgentSmith
    AgentSmith
    Participant

there’s the possibility to have some multiband compressors onboard??
    another question: when will be released new firmware??

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by AgentSmith

there’s the possibility to have some multiband compressors onboard??
    another question: when will be released new firmware??

1.63 is pretty new and seems to be extremely stable.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sound

Richard,

There’s an article on the Rane website https://www.rane.com/note158.html that explains it much better than I could.

Thanks Walter – a good article. Interesting that it also states this:

quote:

Despite the lack of large additional gain margin there are still two other significant reasons for having an auto-notch in the system. First, the auto-notch provides a simple tool to aid in the identification of problem spots in the response when the audio system is first installed. Second, it provides a safety net that can remain in place to cope with the ever-changing acoustic path (unwanted additional reflections, gain change etc.

Which reinforces what I said earlier and that they are a useful pro audio product.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

I think it’s fair to agree to disagree. Personally, I prefer to bypass one if it’s in the signal chain due to the fact that it’s most likely going to do something that I don’t want it to at least a few times. YMMV

Profile photo of mjpruzin
    mjpruzin
    Participant

I think this has been mentioned before, but as a theatre user I’d like to see the fx packages expanded. The two that I’m surprised are missing, and see as useful to all live sound applications are pitch and distortion. Next I would love to see things like rotary and modulations. I understand that development is going on to some more amazing expansion and it looks like this Dante networking thing will open up lots of new possibilities, but I am curious to know if fx development is continuing and if there is a time table for new additions?

Thanks,

M. Jason Pruzin
    Sound Designer/Engineer
    Arkansas Repertory Theatre

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I think a lot of us are looking at Dante as a potential game changer for the system (providing very low latency access to outboard processing a la waves live or the like)… time will tell!

iDR32 mixrack
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Sennheiser IEM (for PFL)
    Dante card (soon!)

Profile photo of jheimberg
    jheimberg
    Participant

I would really like the option of ganging the fader banks together two at a time (t112).

For example: I’ve got banks 1 and 2 in 3 layers for my mix channels, but bank three is FOH inputs, emergency mic, mains/etc – and I’d like that to be able to stay put while changing banks 1&2.

In our setup, we’ve got three stages, to layers A/B/C on banks 1&2 are our stages, so being able to link those two banks would be a killer feature.

Also – would it be possible to add some more colors for the strips? Maybe a color mixer? For example – I’ve got drums as yellow, but it would be nice to have an orange for my stage 2 drums, so in the heat of the battle I know which drums I’m grabbing!

So far (after 18 hours) it’s a great piece of kit. Wish I had this years ago…

Also – a question rather than a request: Is it possible to have scenes recall the layer setting? I’d like to load a layer specific scene and have the layers change… can it be done currently?

http://www.soundadvicetraining.com

Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jheimberg
    For example: I’ve got banks 1 and 2 in 3 layers for my mix channels, but bank three is FOH inputs, emergency mic, mains/etc – and I’d like that to be able to stay put while changing banks 1&2.

In our setup, we’ve got three stages, to layers A/B/C on banks 1&2 are our stages, so being able to link those two banks would be a killer feature.

One option is to link all three banks, then bring the same set of faders on each layer of the third bank. No matter which layer you switch to, the same faders will be in the third bank. I tend to run my DCAs in the third bank, and want them available all the time, so I bring them to all three layers.

Profile photo of jheimberg
    jheimberg
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dschmoldt

quote:

Originally posted by jheimberg

One option is to link all three banks, then bring the same set of faders on each layer of the third bank. No matter which layer you switch to, the same faders will be in the third bank. I tend to run my DCAs in the third bank, and want them available all the time, so I bring them to all three layers.

I tried doing that – but am finding I need some access to the added strips on those other layers on bank 3 – just not linked with my layers on banks 1 & 2.

http://www.soundadvicetraining.com

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 538 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.