WARNING to QU-DRIVE users!!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting WARNING to QU-DRIVE users!!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you use ProTools and bounce your work as stereo to a wav file and then try to playback that file with the Qu-16:

YOUR PA WILL BE BLOWN AS WELL AS YOUR EARS IF YOU TRY TO PLAYBACK SUCH A FILE!!

The Qu-16 doesn’t support the stereo files produced by ProTools AND it doesn’t detect those files as not supported. But you notice that something is wrong when the unit tries to reproduce it and instead starts making white noise REALLY VERY LOUD!!

Please be careful, it happened to me using head phones. Not amusing at all…

BE SURE YOUR MASTER FADER IS WAY DOWN BEFORE YOU TRY THIS!!

I’ve already submitted a ticket and this issue should have been passed to R&D, but since I don’t know if this bug will be fixed (no feedback until today) I think it’s better to post it here so others don’t get harmed (in the mean time).

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

can you tell us the specs of that wav file?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Surely a WAV file created on Pro Tools should be the same as one created on any other DAW (for any given sample & bit setting).

Are you saying that Pro Tools is creating some form of non standard WAV file?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

ProTools bounces stereo as interleaved. See example attached.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Be careful!!

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi all

Apologies for any inconvenience this issue causes.

R&D is investigating this issue and will hopefully resolve the problem for the next maintenance release of Qu firmware.

The problem is not actually interleaved WAV files, but the additional information specific to Broadcast WAV file headers.

Until we have an update for this, the easiest work around is to re-save the file using an application like: Sound forge/ Audacity/ Goldwave/ reaper etc, where you can choose to save WAV files without any of the extra broadcast WAV data.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Hope this helps, but you should be able to export ProTools .wav files as MONO, as Protools works with files in mono only, although that may have changed in V. 11? When I was still working in the post field, all session files (most of the time) were mono, 48k 24 bit. Quite often, they were also time stamped for session locations, perhaps that is a problem? As with all things, it may be different based on client needs..

Hope this info might help somehow..

John

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the question for specs:
    Channel count, sample rate, bit depth, big or little endian, broadcast wave or not

I think the Stealth answered as we expected…

Can someone change the topic because it’s not a PT problem

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

V1.31 and higher support Broadcast Wave (BWF) files, WAV64 files and generally WAV files with non standard headers. This should ensure that WAV files rendered / exported / consolidated with popular DAWs such as ProTools can be played back on Qu-Drive, provided they have valid sample rate and bit depth (44.1 or 48kHz, 16 or 24-bit for stereo playback; 48kHz 24-bit for multitrack).

Selecting an invalid file will now display ‘Unsupported file’ and disable the Play and Stop transport buttons.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.