Stage Monitor Mix

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Stage Monitor Mix

This topic contains 27 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kevin Clark
    Kevin Clark
    Participant

I have my #16 fader on Layer A setup as Matrix #2 which is my stage monitor for singers to use with their CD’s, etc. To set it up, I pressed Mix 2 soft key and ran up my CD input fader. It works, but if I run up any fader it comes thru the stage monitor too. I don’t want that. I want just the CD audio to come thru. What am I doing wrong?

I pressed the #2 Aux button to set it all up. but when I press View button, It says Mtrx#2 not Aux. But I did select Aux 2 (the light blue first set of 4 just to the right of the LR)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sounds like your matrix out that you are sending to the monitors is just set up for the main mix output.
    You really should be using the direct Aux 2 mix output to send to the monitors, not knowing how your SQ outputs
    are routed that could be any output.

When you select aux 2 all of the faders become the aux send levels for aux 2, bring them up to the levels needed
    on that needed channels.
    Normaly monitors are set up to be prefade, on the channel for the CD playback you may want to try post fade on that
    channel.
    With post fade on that channel if you fade out the tracks before the track actually ends it will fade out in the monitors
    as well. Sometimes that can be handy depending on the tracks and program.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

mix buttons (the blue ones) are not the same as selects…
    they differ in functionality

it is easy to select a matrix master strip while a mix is “armed”

make sure you understand the difference this makes many things much clearer

some videos…
    https://youtu.be/SHUvKDtJj9M
    https://youtu.be/prlGm_qLh9o

Kevin Clark
    Participant

I understand the difference, but when I press Aux#2, on my channel strip it says Mtrx2. How do I get it to be Aux2.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

what do you press on your channel strip? Select?
    and where does it say Mtrx2?
    Which mix button is selected?

Kevin Clark
    Participant

I’m using Aux button #2. It says Mtrx2 when I press view I think when I’m on the main mix.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So you are pushing the blue mix button on the left hand side of the mixer?
    If so that puts the channel faders into the mix/aux send mode.
    If I have followed along correctly that is what you need and want to do.

Are you sure mix two is set up to be an aux out, they can be set up as stereo or mono
    auxes or groups.

Kevin Clark
    Participant

I’ll check again here shortly.

Kevin Clark
    Participant

On my routing screen,Aux2 is on and set to Pre level 0, and the sound is coming thru regardless of the CD fader level. If I switch it to post fader, I get nothing and I brought up, CD, Stage and Main LR faders.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On my routing screen,Aux2 is on and set to Pre level 0, and the sound is coming thru regardless of the CD fader level. If I switch it to post fader, I get nothing and I brought up, CD, Stage and Main LR faders.

That sounds correct for the pre and post fade monitor mix selections.

When in the AUX 2 mode the fader for the input channels becomes what is the AUX level knob on an analog mixer so you can adjust the needed level of the mix.

In the main mix mode if you hit select on the channel that is the CD or any other input
    and then hit the routing button under the screen you get the big picture of every output level and routing for the selected channel, you can also change the mix levels using that screen.

Kevin Clark
    Participant

Here is hopefully a video showing my setup. I would think if I setup it up correctly, If my CD fader is down, I shouldn’t hear it on the stage monitor or any monitor unless it is PAFLed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The video link is not shown.

Monitors mixes/auxes that are set to PRE FADE are controlled independent of the channel fader when in the main L R mix mode so when you adjust levels to main L R mix the levels do not change from where they are set for the stage monitors.

As I mentioned earlier there are a few times when having the monitors set POST FADE are what is needed, generally they are not.

Kevin Clark
    Participant

For some reason, I do not have MainLR signal either. I do not show any “noise” on that fader. I have my MainLR routed in I/O to Local 11/12 going to my amp.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

That could be few things and some I’m not thinking of now!

Do other input channels work in the mains?
    Is the CD channel assigned to the main mix?
    Are your sure that you have the board in the main mix mix mode?

Post a picture of the CD channel’s routing screen and a picture of the left
    side of the board.

Kevin Clark
    Participant

I double check the mode. but all of my inputs are suppose to go to my MainLR. The only faders not going to MainLR are my outs to sound booth, stage monitor and to my live stream. I have to get those tomorrow night hopefully as tomorrow is a busy day at work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.