SQ7 XLR Stereo?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ7 XLR Stereo?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tabs
    Tabs
    Participant

Can i use an XLR jack on the console as a stereo port?

Firstly, i know, not recommended, bad idea, balanced cables, common-mode rejection…
    TL; DR: My plan is to add an FX unit next to my board, this unit will return a stereo mix even if the source is mono. Is this supported by my console, and if so what config would be needed? (Please link documentation if applicable)

Longer version: I mix audio in a room that couldn’t be worse for sound reverberation if you tried. Think a delay at about 80-90% feedback. Anyway, we have EQ’d our main mix to remove many of the problem frequencies and are about as good as we are going to get, but there are still a few problem areas that cause some nasty feedback. The goal is to run a feedback remover unit from the console and attach it to the main mix, (board -> feedback remover -> board). Really simple, i guess im just not sure if the SQ7 supports stereo mixes on a single XLR port or not?

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Tabs,

XLR will always be mono unless should use two.

In order to patch in your FX unit you would need to patch the insert send to a physical output and the patch the insert return to a physical input. Signal Flow would be board output->fx input-> two board inputs (if returning stereo).

All that said, I don’t believe you will achieve you desired results from your efforts. Feedback eliminators simply use and RTA and look for loud signals then eq them out. It sounds like you are in a bad situation with your room and you have already been very agressive with EQ. One thing that has always helped me in those situations is starting over. Often times we compress, eq, etc a room to death and at the end of the day we add problems we aren’t aware of. This is especially true with compression, as it lowers the effective gain before feedback. Most users I have seen with the level of processing that an SQ gives them at ther fingertips tend to overuse it. Before you fix something with more gear/processing, I highly recommend attempting to fix it by simplifying. Happy to discuss further if you are willing to provide additional context.

Happy Mixing

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

+1 for everything David said!

Profile photo of krunker
    krunker
    Participant

Yes. XLR cables are primarily used to transmit a balanced mono audio signal from one device to the other. They can also be used for stereo signals. The only caveat is that when XLR cables are used for a stereo signal, the signal will become an unbalanced audio signal.
    krunker

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

This is not really true. 3-pin XLR are used for balanced mono signals or unbalanced stereo signals. But there are also, for example, 5-pin XLR which are used, for example, for stereo microphones or mono tube microphones.
    But the 3-pin XLR sockets on the SQ are balanced mono sockets only. You have to usetwo ofthem for stereo signals in both directions, input and output.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.