SQ-6 Stereo channel Pan Balance LR gain inconsistencies

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ-6 Stereo channel Pan Balance LR gain inconsistencies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of churchy
    churchy
    Participant

Hi All!
    I’ve an issue with a stereo input on an SQ-6 which has apparently different gains on left and right – meters with PAFL show right is significantly higher. Adjusting gain or trim, as you would expect, adjusts both channels together (Local 21/22 in this case). I’ve checked I/O patching and it shows it as a stereo pair, also confirmed this in the stereo inputs config. Input is not being used in other channels too, patching is only to the channels 45/46 in this case.
    If I swap L/R input cables over the right hand input remains much higher.
    I also tried making mono or reducing the stereo width and this does makes the levels the same (or closer).
    In summary, why can’t I get the gain/levels on both channels in the stereo pair to be the same?
    Thanks all!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The levels on both channels were different before you made the stereo connection
    the settings from the preamp section where not taken into account

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

@churchy
    It can be a benefit to adjust the gain of the two sockets independently. Not always both signals of a stereo source have the same level. But if you want to bring both gains to the same level you have two choices. 1) make the stereo channel to two mono channels, adjust the gains of both sockets and make them again to a stereo channel (but that means you will have two short periods of time when all audio is muted) or 2) assign one of the to sockets as the input socket of an unused mono channel and adjust the gain of the socket on this channel.

Profile photo of churchy
    churchy
    Participant

So if I change the channel configuration to two mono channels, assign the new (was right) channel to a spare input, set the pre-amp gains to 0dB on both channels, make it a stereo pair again, then all should be well?(!)
    So why are the gains AND trim for both channels on a stereo pair not exposed to the engineer? That’s really obscure!
    Thanks for your input (no pun intended), I’ll give that a try tomorrow…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You have the two options I explained previously. You have to do the one or the other. It is not required to do both.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.