Recording gated and un-gated input simultaneously

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recording gated and un-gated input simultaneously

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JP JP 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JP
    JP
    Participant

We use the noise gate on our mic inputs and had the unfortunate occurrence that a quiet speaker who was also too far from the mic had parts of their words cut off…

Obviously we’ll need to be more careful with gain/gate settings in future – but I’m curious about an insurance policy…

Is it possible to record, say mic 1 both with and without input processing on the sq-drive? (or anywhere else?)

Thanks!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you just wanting to make a stereo recording or multi track recording?

If you just want to do a stereo recording……you set up a mix just for recording you can select the pick off point in the channel processing ahead of the the gate, the mix should be set to post fade if you want the recording mix to track along with the main mix. To track the main mix you also will need to mix sends to all the same level.

That all said gating a vocal mic and even more so a mic just used for spoken word with a variety of people using the mic is a loosing battle you can never get the mic to be gated and still work with random people and the way they speak.

How many mics used for people speaking are on at one time?
    If it’s more than one maybe look at using the auto mix function on those channels instead of the gate.

Do you have some one operating the mixer, could they just manually operate the mic levels when people are speaking.

Back to gating, still not going to be a magic fix but try a longer hold a release time so the gate is not turning on and off like a switch and reduce the gate depth/attenuation to maybe around 6 or 8 db. Finding a working threshold setting is the tricky to next to impossible part.

What are you wanting to “gate out” of the mic, just background room noise or the stage volume/noise of a band playing.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Also wanted to add, you could patch the mic or mics each to two separate channels, one channel just for recording and the other for the PA system ect.

Each channel could then be fully processed as much or little for their intended use.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Yes, you can do so…
    Just use a Tie-Line for recording ungated signal and Direct Out for Recording Gated Signal.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of JP
    JP
    Participant

Thanks all! I’ll give those suggestions a shot. I am doing multitrack, and I have un-used tracks on sq-drive, so I’ll likely patch the mic to two inputs and record those un-processed.

Thanks again – this community is amazing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.