Query / Ping a midi value of a given parameter…?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Query / Ping a midi value of a given parameter…?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jBam
    jBam
    Participant

Hi there – I’m wondering if someone can help confirm whether the QU16 midi protocol will allow me to ping/query the value of a parameter without changing it?

e.g. if I have HP filter on Channel 1 set to variable “120”, the message is:

B0 63 20
    B0 62 13
    B0 06 “VA”
    B0 26 07

Where “VA” is the variable (“120” in my example)

If I don’t know what this value is, can I send a message to the Qu16 to ask what the current value for this parameter is?… and then it would send back a response (e.g.):

B0 63 20
    B0 62 13
    B0 06 120
    B0 26 07

as a return message??

I see the protocol document has some guidance on “Get System State” for ipad / q-pad connectivity (which seems similar), but not sure if that’s able to give me individual parameters?

I’m writing a Bome’s Midi Translator script for using the custom layer (with faders set to midi) to control weird and wonderful things back within the Qu… Being able to ping existing values would be amazing for my purposes…

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi jBam,

Sending a ‘Get System State’ would return the entire state of the desk in one big MIDI data dump. This may work for your application, as you can look for a specific part of the NRPN message:

B0 63 20 – The channel
    B0 62 13 – The parameter

Then look for the next message and get the value.

So although there’s no specific get state message for a parameter, you could extract the information needed from the get system state message.

I did this with my Ctrlr panel but never got it to work perfectly on the panel side: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-ctrlr-windows-mac-controller

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of jBam
    jBam
    Participant

Hi Alex – great … thanks for the confirmation and info there… It seems I’ll need to work with that whole data dump arrangement… which should be fine actually… and I can probably use that for a few extra tricks to be honest!! :)…

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hello,
    If I understand correctly, there is no way to query individual parameters via midi on the Qu series (as is possible with the SQ, for example)?
    I think that’s a big limitation.
    My tests with the command “GET SYSTEM STATE” showed that the transmission simply takes too long.
    It is possible to do this once at the start of a session, but I always have to save the entire state + all changes made externally (e.g. on the Surface itself or via other remote devices).

I don’t have the resources for this – and I don’t want to create the storage structure.

Would it be possible to get an extension in the course of a firmware update?

greetings
    dd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.