Multichannel audio from windows

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Multichannel audio from windows

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of airickess airickess 8 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Belfast
    Belfast
    Participant

Hi All
    How can i get my windows PC (VLC player) to send Ex. 5.1 or 7.1 to separat channels on my old Alesis multitrack mixer i did it with the software that came with the mixer but now I havent got a clue…

Anyone ?

Cheers

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If the Alesis mixer behaves as a computer audio interface then Reaper will do everything you need. Which mixer is it?

https://www.reaper.fm

This is what is used in all the A&H demos of multitrack audio with their mixers.

It’s got I think a 60 day free trial and is only about £40 after that. The free trial will actually work forever without being activated, but they ask you not to do that.

You select your interface as the audio device in Reaper, drop your tracks in, and then choose a different hardware output from the track controls of each track.

Chris

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess he’s asking for surround support and some virtual device decoding 5.1/7.1 audio into separate channels so they could be send to a multichannel interface.
    I don’t think VLC is able to decode surround sound directly and needs something external for decoding.

Profile photo of Belfast
    Belfast
    Participant

Sorry for not being clear 😉
    I have a dvd with surround I want to run it on my PC and then run the different sound channels in to seperate channels via USB to my QU 24
    that way i can send it to my mix out and also EQ an decide volume my self…

Cheers Søren Kelly

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That’s what I thought. If this is your goal, you’ll need some virtual surround decoder software taking the encoded stream from VLC player and forward the decoded channels via ASIO driver to your Qu.
    If you don’t persist on using VLC player (which only uses internal codecs) for playback DVDs Ac3Filter may help. But I somehow doubt audio and video stays in sync after splitting the playback path.
    You still didn’t state which Alesis mixer/tool you’ve used to accomplish that task before.

Profile photo of Belfast
    Belfast
    Participant

sorry it wasent a alesis it was a e-mu think its the 1640m
    but my with alesis multimix I could choose were to send what output (but not so many outputs to choose from) 😉

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Maybe Mackie 1640i?
    Anyway, I really doubt that any of these mixers could decode a surround stream into its component signals since they all expose a multichannel audio interface to your system. Maybe you sent the surround stream via S/PDIF through some external decoder or just the stereo stream to a pair of audio channels.
    The Multimix exposes a stereo pair only, not surround.
    However, the Qu exposes a multichannel audio interface to your Windows system and you’ll need an ASIO aware application to access all channels. Using the WDM interface your stereo stream end up on channels 1&2 (switch to USB to hear it).
    You can not directly feed the (encoded) surround stream to any multichannel audio interface, including the Qu.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

If I were you I would try a cheap way to get a surround signal out of my laptop using this – https://www.diamondmm.com/xs71u-diamond-xtreme-sound-usb-audio-device.html
    It converts the signal to the separate analog components. You would just need some stereo 1/8″ to dual TS 1/4″ cables.
    I own one of these as a cheap sound card backup in case my laptop sound interfaces crash while on a gig (it has happened once to me). It works just fine for me as a line-level output device.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.