multitrack playback of external files

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions multitrack playback of external files

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pê  7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bidomak
    bidomak
    Participant

Good Hello, Is it possible to import external 48kHz 24-bit WAV files to Qu-Drive Multitrack folders for playback. Cheers,

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I’ve moved this into a new topic.

It is possible, provided you follow the file format / naming and folder structure convention as described in this KB article.
    Also avoid metadata, timestamp and BWF (broadcast) chunks when rendering the files.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of bidomak
    bidomak
    Participant

Good Hello, I have tried exporting pro tools region files as 24bit 48kHz wav files and followed the format / naming folder structure convention although i have had no luck
    playing back the multitrack files.On each occasion i tried opening the folder with the files i had to physically remove the drive from the QU-16. In my case it was only possible to play back mutitrack files recorded into the QU-16 / external drive setup.
    Cheers,

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

One thing I didn’t mention is that Qu-16 expects all 18 files to be present in the multitrack folder, and all of the same size. If you are using less than 18, create dummy tracks by duplicating and renaming your files.

To make sure your file format is ok, copy one of the files to the AHQU/USBPlay folder and check playback in the Qu-Drive stereo page. Be aware loud noise can be generated if a file with a BWF chunk is played back – this is a known issue and will be fixed in the next maintenance release. If the file doesn’t play correctly, try rendering / exporting your tracks with another DAW or software – see this related topic.

Profile photo of justin
    justin
    Participant

Hello I have a similar question. forgive me, for I’m very new to digital consoles and the lingo.
    I mix sound for a party band that plays along to stereo track and click. after Im finished editing the track along with click in Logic, I then play the three tracks (left, right, click) and record them to the Qu-Drive… Im sure there is an easier less time consuming way to do this.. but
    now that I have the entire set list recorded to the Qu-Drive, Im trying to relabel each song. I know that when you record to the Qu-Drive it allocates a folder name “QU-MTnnn”. so my questions is: How do I relabel the songs so I’m not looking at a bunch of numbers? Ive tried changing the multitrack folder name, but the Qu-drive only recognizes the the allocated name.
    Also, you said, “Qu-16 expects all 18 files to be present in the multitrack folder, and all of the same size. If you are using less than 18, create dummy tracks by duplicating and renaming your files”.
    Again, forgive my ignorance but how do i do that?
    the user manual gives no clear instruction on that.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Using the multitrack QuDrive for your application is probably not the best way to got for several reasons:
    – File/Project naming, as you already observed
    – Plenty of dummy track to may QuDrive happy
    – Fast disk (SSD/UsbStick) required, otherwise you may run into problems from HDD seeking since tracks can not be written interleaved which would be best for QuDrive playback.

I’d probably consider alternate routes before deciding to go for the QuDrive:
    – If a mono mixdown for the backing track would be ok, then I’d suggest using the stereo WAV playback with backing on one side and click on the other. You’ll get full freedom for renaming tracks etc.
    – Use a PC/Mac for playback. Either using USB-B streaming directly into the Qu or an additional audio interface.
    – Maybe there are some affordable compact multitrack recorders (like Roland R-44) which also could playback 3 or 4 channels concurrently to avoid the PC…

Profile photo of justin
    justin
    Participant

thanks for the quick response. Very helpful. I know my options now. I would love a stereo mix with separate click but i don’t want to have to lug around my computer and interface. I’ve chosen the option of a mono mix with click on L and Track on R
    Ive bounced my Tracks down to WAV files and they are now showing up on the Qu-drive stereo playback. and it shows up on St3. My only problem now is routing it to Channels 13 and 14. is this possible? please advise
    Cheers

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Probably only via analog domain (short external cables from Mix/Group output back to the channels). Stereo Playback is hard-routed to ST3 which can’t be split internally to separate mono feeds. Yup, missed that…

Profile photo of Pê

Participant

Hi guys. I’m having a really bad problem.

I downloaded the audios from the same site where everyone downloaded.

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk-newbies.htm#Mystery

I imported all to the ableton live (my favorite daw after the PT), I exported all the audio to 48kHz 24-bit WAV, 18 files, checked the file sizes, renamed the files, put the same folder of the original files inside the pendrive, I inserted it into the console, and gave the project message invalid.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I had this problem, and I’d love to find a solution.

Can someone help me?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.