I'm New To SQ-6 – Aux Question, please help

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions I'm New To SQ-6 – Aux Question, please help

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Saddler Saddler 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnP
    JohnP
    Participant

Hi All,

I have just got an SQ-6, after previously using the A&H ZED28. My question is regarding Auxiliary outputs. On the ZED428, you had Six Aux knobs above each channel strip, so you would turn the knob and control how much signal/level from that channel you would allow through to that particular Aux.

I cannot get my head around how to do this on the SQ-6, I notice on layer C, there are Aux’s 1-8 and I have certain devices assigned to these(camera, monitor speaker etc..) but I cannot see how to control level of how much of the local inputs get send through to these Aux’s.

For example, I have an ambient mic that is on local input 4, that I would like to send to ONLY Aux 5 and none of the others. I have tried turning OFF the mix sends on the (local input 4) routing page for other Aux’s, even muting the Aux’s on layer C, but it doesn’t seem to work. It works only when I turn OFF the L-R Main send.

Any help would be very much appreciated, once I get my head around it, it should all click into place.

Thanks in advance,
    John

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

On the SQ (and most other digital mixers) the Aux sends that you are used to having on knobs, are accessed from the faders instead.

So select a layer (buttons on left) that contains the channel you are interested in eg local input 4.

Then on the right of the desk select the Aux you want to send to – in your example Aux 5 (or Mix 5 as it is called here).

The faders (for all input & group channels you can see) are now no longer the main fader you’re used to from your Zed, they have turned into the Aux 5 knobs. So any input can now be sent to Aux 5 from here. The master fader has also become the Aux 5 master.

Does that help?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Or

Select your channel 4. Hold down the blue “Chan to All Mix” button on the left.
    The faders now show how much of chan 4 is sent to each Mix (aux), group & FX send.

Profile photo of JohnP
    JohnP
    Participant

Thank you MarkPAman for your quick reply, I’ll give that a try. I don’t know how the desk is configured out-of-the box, mine was installed and by an integrator, and I’ve been left to figure it out. They’ve put my P.A on an Aux(1) rather than main L/R – which confused the hell out of me.

Many thanks again, much appreciated.

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

If you’re not familiar with digital boards in general, be sure to read through the reference manual in a fair bit of detail. I’ve found the overall structure of the SQ to be a lot more intuitive than most, but there are still things it took me a while to wrap my head around. It’s worth the effort!

Profile photo of Kris Kurowski
    Kris Kurowski
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_4_0.pdf

Get a cup of tea and study this manual. It’s clearly written with pictures and will teach you all functions of SQ series.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

and some videos are available as well

btw Keith looks good on these 😉

Profile photo of JohnP
    JohnP
    Participant

Thank you all for your advice, very much appreciated.

Warm regards,
    John

Profile photo of Saddler
    Saddler
    Participant

Howdy. Just got into the SQ. I want to increase my auxiliary sends from the standard 8, and lower the group count. I see how to do that on the BUS Configuration page, but when I “Apply” the group channels go dark and are not replaced by Auxes on the strips. Essentially, I’m trying to make groups 1,2,3,4 into Auxes 9,10,11,12. MONO I want as well.
    Hmmmm…
    What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Saddler
    Saddler
    Participant

Never mind. I forgot the strip assign function. I’m good!
    Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.