GLD80 + Dante Issue

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting GLD80 + Dante Issue

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tofke78 Tofke78 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of daveherring
    daveherring
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have a GLD80 + Dante, and I’m running it into a Macbook Pro with Pro Tools. I set it all up last week and used it this weekend, but got a lot of pops and clicks. After a lot of research, I discovered this was due to a clocking issue. I think I got that issue resolved, but today another issue came up that I do not know how to resolve.

As I was testing things today, the signal became really fuzzy, and then faded out. I was testing on a wireless mic, but the battery was great and the board had signal. Everything looked right…it just started getting fuzzy and fading out after about 1min. I saved the PT12 session if it would be helpful to hear and diagnose what happened.

Here’s my setup, and it’s a little crazy:
    GLD80+Dante –> MBP w/ ProTools 12, recording 28 channels of audio AND —> Presonus Audiobox (as an aggregate device) for the OUTPUT to a video switcher and then broadcast to Livestream. The purpose of Pro Tools is to get a good mix for broadcast.

So all of that said, as I’m monitoring Pro Tools today, the signal on my wireless mic go really fuzzy, faded off, and was gone….but still active on the board.

Any help would be great. This is a new setup, and in theory should work!

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Hi Daveherring,

It would be helpful to hear/see the recording and to see your GLD showfile. I primarily use Reaper and Tracks Live, but I can test our GLD/Dante system with PT when I’m in the shop tomorrow. I am curious if you Macbook Pro is able to keep up with sourcing the inputs from DVS, processing in PT, and streaming audio out through a separate interface. Have you measured the load on your CPU or your buffering settings? I assume you’ve turned off low-latency.

Again, it’s been a year or two since I’ve used PT in a live sound environment. If I think of anything else, I’ll post. I’m interested to hear from other engineers who are working with a similar setup.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Does it work any better if you just use Dante as your audio device for both inputs and outputs? Have you tried changing the cat5 cable between the GLD and MBP?

Chris

Profile photo of benniferj
    benniferj
    Participant

I would sack off the aggregate device asap. I would question do you have the Audiobox set to a 48k clock as well as the desk running clock from the Dante card?

But i’m not sure what the need for the aggregate device is. You can route Dante returns from PT straight back through the desk and if needed just direct out them to a pair of spare outputs… Unless your racks and surface outputs are completely full already? If you have spare outputs this is a no brainer to streamline the setup. I have never heard of anyone trying to aggregate device the Dante system let alone need to.

daveherring
    Participant

Thanks guys. I’m heading into a meeting, but wanted to link the session so you can hear it yourself if you have PT12.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4987049/The%20Point%20ProTools.zip

Maybe I’m overthinking my setup, but I couldn’t figure out how to get a stereo output from the GLD80 to our video switcher out of Pro Tools. We have some open outs, but maybe I don’t know how to route them correctly? Would you guys be cool with me uploading a video later today to my setup and maybe giving me some guidance?

Profile photo of benniferj
    benniferj
    Participant

Okay… I haven’t got Pro Tools to hand but you want to try something like this for your routing…

GLD80 Dante card linked to Macbook pro
    Macbook Pro running Dante Virtual sound card and Dante controller. In Dante controller set the matrix grid to show the GLD80 transmitting the first 44 Inputs to the Macbook Pro on the first 44 channels Then on the Macbook Pro transmitter page route the first 12 returns of Macbook pro to some spare Dante lines, say 45 and upwards. This should make the Dante sound card’s outputs 1 and 2 return on Dante line 45 and 46

In protools, set your active sound card to be Dante Virtual Soundcard, and on your output routing set your main stereo mix for example, to route to Dante Soundcard 1-2. Get some audio playing so your mix is outputting on those channels.

Now on the GLD80 on an input channel, on the preamp page set the source to be from the appropriate Dante return channel. You should get audio coming back through the desk.

I haven’t got all of this in front of me, but that process should basically work.
    You may need to ensure that Pro Tools is set to the same clock as the desk, sound card etc. – 48k i’d be assuming. You can confirm your hardware clock speed over Dante by looking on the ‘clock status’ tab of Dante Controller.

EDIT – Oh and for the output to your Streaming box. If you have a spare bus or aux out, just send the return faders from Pro Tools/Dante to the spare aux or bus… and on your GLD80s patch window, set some spare outputs to come from this Aux or Bus output. This could be on the surface’s outs or an AR Rack’s outs on whatever format you have spare – most likely XLR pairs. If you get nothing on those outputs, check that the channel is sending them pre-fade to the aux, and that the aux or bus master is unmuted, etc.

daveherring
    Participant

I’m be in front of the board Sunday morning. I’m going to try your walkthrough and I’ll let you know what happens. Thank you guys so much! Standby…

daveherring
    Participant

It took forever, but I finally had a chance to get this setup. Everything is hooked up properly now and I have signal routed through the GLD80 from Pro Tools back into the board. Thank you for the walkthrough.

However, that has brought up a new issue. The sound coming through has static on it. It sounds like clipping, but nothing is clipping. It comes and goes, fairly often though. I have an mp3 playing on PT12 and its routing through the board great, but we have static.

Any thoughts? I updated the firmware on the Dante and the GLD80. Still the same issue.

dcongdon
    Participant

Static/clipping sounds like a clock issue. Dante firmware mismatching usually results in no audio passing through the network.

I would check to see if PT is sync’ed to Dante’s clock, along with your GLD. Are they running at 48 kHz / 24 bit?

daveherring
    Participant

What’s interesting is that everything seems to be clocked correctly, and it’s only Pro Tools. I opened up Logic Pro X, and it was clean and clear. However, when I try to multi-track record the event (with 30 tracks), Logic Pro keeps giving me error messages while Pro Tools records perfectly for hours.

Just for poops and giggles, how should the clock be set up between the GLD80, the Dante card, and Pro Tools?

daveherring
    Participant

Video link. Also, I updated the firmware to the latest version after recording this video and realizing it was old firmware. Still the same issue.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Recommended clock settings for a single Dante system are as follows:
    – GLD Audio Sync (Setup / Audio) set to Internal
    – In Dante Controller, set the Dante card to be Preferred Master and ‘Slave to Ext Clock’, this will make the card sync from the GLD clock

DVS is always a slave device. Check the PT session is set to 48kHz.

Hope this helps.

dcongdon
    Participant

Interesting. It’s hard to clearly make out the “static” from the recording, but it doesn’t appear to be a clock/sync issue. That would “pop” every few minutes.

To setup the clock on the GLD, go to Setup>Audio>Audio Sync>Slave Option Card.

Curious why you are getting error messages from Logic and static from PT. You are sure that the sample and bit rates are setup correctly?

I assume we are listening to the output of the GLD through your monitors, correct? Or is this coming post the livestream system? Have you worked back up the signal path and found where the audio begins to sound corrupted? I would pull audio from the following locations (working your way back until you find which stage introduces the static):

– Post Livestream
    – Post GLD Aux send
    – Post PT (straight from the computer)
    – Post Dante (feed dante directly

daveherring
    Participant

We have the clock set correctly in the controller. That’s an interesting point about sample rate and the clock in PT. I’m going to test this out today and report back.

I don’t know why Logic gives me error messages. It says the write time is too slow. I’m running the session on a thunderbolt external drive. We record 30 channels live in PT all the time and never an issue. I couldn’t get 12 to run in Logic Pro X without getting write errors.

In the video, you are hearing the GLD output, post video switcher. We aren’t broadcasting in the video, but it is post switcher. There is still static even in the headphones, though. And with Logic its clear through the switcher, vs. Pro Tools where there is static.

Will report back later today. Thanks for the help guys!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Try it with Reaper, I don’t know why you’re having the problems you are, but if they move with the DAW…

It shouldn’t make much difference but Reaper is what A&H use in the promotional videos.

https://reaper.fm/

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.