Few questions about the mixer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Few questions about the mixer

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Sup guys

My setup
    Qu16
    Two dsr112
    One dsr118w
    Looking to get another sub in the future

I mainly dj and do karaoke parties for fun

I bought the system for karaoke for home use but ended up doing some gigs for fun but people are willing to pay me to do parties…especially karaoke..

1.)I’m doing aux fed sub…since my tops are crossed over at 125 with the hpf on…so for the sub I just use the geq for the mix and bring all faders above 125 down right?

What if I want to do it at 80hz? Turn off the hpf on tops then use the geq for the LR mix? Will this mess up the recording if I decide to record? Or would it just take the frequency out on the LR channel?

2.) monitor I have it on mix 1. How do I send fx for the vocal to monitor?

3.) eq room rta flat response…I’m confused…why do we want to get a flat response? When I goto my rta meter a lot of it peaks out and it isn’t flat lol…so do I need a rta mic then pafl that channel to get a flat response from the rta mic? I guess the rta for like the karaoke music or MP3 etc doesn’t matter? Is the rta meter really for ringing out feedback? And to use to tune a room with a rta mic and pink noise that the board has?

Thanks

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

1. The DSR118W sub has its own crossover built-in. It automatically filters out everything above 120 Hz and everything below 45Hz. You can just send full range audio to it the same as your tops. The parallel xlr out on the sub is for feeding the tops. The out signal is tapped prior to the crossover and remains full range. If you run both Left and Right channels into a single sub, it will sum the two channels together into a mono signal for that sub. However, the xlr outs remain separated L&R stereo for the tops. Thus, nothing to worry about in the mixer.

2. To send Effects to Monitors…While Mix 1 is selected, press the upper layer button for the faders and turn up any of the Effects Return faders. This is assuming that you already have effects in the mains.

3. I’ve never bothered to use the rta feature. I always just EQ the room and ring out speakers using my ears. During a show, if something sounds a bit shrilly or boomy, I’ll peek at the rta to see what frequency is popping, but I don’t use any auto EQ features. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

What if I want to cross it over at 80hz?

Oh so the way my setup is now I don’t have to use the geq on my aux fed sub…since it doesn’t play anything above 120hz…I was going to see if it’ll sound better crossed over at 80hz or 100hz…not sure if the geq has 100hz

Ok I’ll try the monitor again

Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

To make it short: The HPF/PEQ/GEQ can not replace a proper crossover, the GEQ particularly does not cut frequencies below the lowest band, there is (sadly) no HPF in the Mixes, the shelf PEQ isn’t steep enough and only drops to -15dB. Any USD150 analog Xover provides better results, if a flat frequency response without phase problems is your target.
    More to read here: How to hookup subwoofers to QU 24?
    Some plots can be found here: use equaliser to put low pass filter in place

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Should I get a Driverack pa2 or a 360?
    Or should I just get a decent crossover? Any good ones for $100?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I use the PA2 or 360 on my installs. Work well. Don’t buy a real cheap Xover. PA2 is very reasonable. I have a wifi router I use to set it up with their free app.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

With a pa2 can I still do aux fed sub?
    I know the 360 can because it has 3 inputs

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

No, but you could setup the crossover to be a mid high then feed your subs direct if they have a low pass filter. Or get one of the processing amps like QSC or Crown have and make it a band pass filtered amp. I use powered subs a lot which have built in LPF. The 360 would do that.

Profile photo of Darkmutton
    Darkmutton
    Participant

I’m using a PA2 as well and find the crossover very good and easy to use. I do find though that when I try to set up in a venue that has people already in it usually tells me that the background noise is too high and won’t run some of the Wizards.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

So with any Driverack u would need one per main and sub? So if I get a 2nd sub I need two driveracks?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not sure I understand your question but you shouldn’t. You really only need one aux fed sub output then feed a crossover or bandpass amp and just mult or parallel to a second sub. Some of my installs have stereo subs but only because of how I set it up. Really not needed. LF is so omni-directional it doesn’t matter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.