dlive recording via gigaACE?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions dlive recording via gigaACE?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of daveb daveb 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of daveb
    daveb
    Participant

Recently moved to a C3500 desk from a SC-48. Love the new console. Next step is start recording. Our vendor provided us the virtual soundcheck software and a gigaACE card (M-DL-GACE) as part of the package. When I start researching, i’m not seeing anyone using that setup and using Dante instead. Did our vendor give us the wrong card (I think they went with the gigaACE over Dante because Dante was on backorder for at least a year. If we can use the gigaACE, what do we need to accept the gigaACE on the computer side (we’re getting a new MAC for this, as our old proTools mac was outdated.

Profile photo of Brent H.
    Brent H.
    Participant

I think you need a Dante network with dante virtual soundcard installed. Not sure GigaACE has a way to connect ot a PC/Mac.

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

Yes, you need Dante for this. And, I think the Dante backorder situation is better now. At least we got our card several months ago, after waiting over a year.

I can imagine a product that would allow GigaACE to go into a computer. GigaACE’s physical connection is standard gigabit ethernet, and the audio transport is standard ethernet packets (though as I understand it, GigaACE uses layer two packets for the audio data, not TCPIP or UDP). The big problem is that GigaACE was designed as a point-to-point interface, and uses practically all the available bandwidth of a gigabit connection. That means a computer would require a dedicated ethernet interface just for GigaACE. Possibly it would even need a proprietary implementation similar to the PCI Dante interfaces. So those are at least some of the reasons such an interface does not exist.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You’ll need a Dante, Waves, or Madi expansion card depending on your recording hardware/software solution and which protocol will work with your solution. Currently there is no way to record directly from a GigaAce connection (and I would be very surprised if A&H ever released such a thing).

Profile photo of daveb
    daveb
    Participant

This is the conclusion I came to as well but wanted to ensure I wasn’t missing something. Thank you for the feedback all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.