Distortion on computer but sounds fine

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Distortion on computer but sounds fine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RussInWY RussInWY 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RussInWY
    RussInWY
    Participant

We’ve been using our Qu-24 board with a remote dSNAKE for a few years (church setting). Since coming back after lock-down, we’ve been streaming (Zoom and Facebook) and I’ve been struggling to get the audio down.

I’ve been using an output on the dSNAKE to the line-in on the computer (placement purposes). All the outputs are using the LR for simplicity and it sounds great in the building. It is fine when someone is talking, or an instrument with one or two voices, but when we add a third voice or second instrument, we start getting distortion/buzzing on the computer. It gets worse as more are added. It also tends to change the balance with one voice being more prominent than the others.

I know it isn’t Zoom, it still happens no matter how I record it, using OBS or whatever.

I have also tried connecting to the board with the USB. The sound is terrible, but I do need to update the firmware and I’m aware of possible issues there. I’ll continue playing with that when I get time.

Any help with getting the sound working well would be great. My preference is to use the line-in on the computer, but I can use the usb if that’s my only option. I’m a tech person professionally but not a sound expert, so don’t make assumptions that I’ve configured this or that in a particular way.

TIA
    Russ

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

The first thing I would look at is the signallevel going in to the computer

You don’t happen to have the AAM activated do you ?

Furthermore, take a look at the link below for cable matters:

Qu SB output to Blackmagic Atem

Good luck !

Giga

RussInWY
    Participant

How do you check the signal level? It is running through LR, same as the external speakers. I haven’t found a way to individually adjust the level of each output, but that is what I was looking for, as it seems to be at the higher volume points that the distortion gets worse. Maybe I just need to look 8n the right spot.

I’m assuming you mean AMM (auto mixing), but let me know if it isn’t. I don’t believe we have it turned on, each mic is adjusted individually. I’ll verify that.

I’ll read through that discussion again when I’m sitting next to the board. I think I’m configured correctly but may need to review that.

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

RussInWY
    Participant

How do you check the signal level? It is running through LR, same as the external speakers. I haven’t found a way to individually adjust the level of each output, but that is what I was looking for, as it seems to be at the higher volume points that the distortion gets worse. Maybe I just need to look 8n the right spot.

I’m assuming you mean AMM (auto mixing), but let me know if it isn’t. I don’t believe we have it turned on, each mic is adjusted individually. I’ll verify that.

I’ll read through that discussion again when I’m sitting next to the board. I think I’m configured correctly but may need to review that.

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I’ve been using an output on the dSNAKE to the line-in on the computer (placement purposes).

What type of input/audiointerface do you use on the computer? If it is the buildin with the mini jack you will get in troubles since the dSnake output works on +4 dB level and the computer on -10 dB level, I guess. You better use an audio interface, connected via USB for instance, on the computer. This interface should be able to handle +4 dB signals. That would have another benefits because the buildin interfaces are most of the time cheap and of really poor quality.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

In addition to the mentioned interface levels the 3.5mm input on the computer
    is set up for a stereo input connecting a straight through balanced line input to that input will cause issues with phase cancellation.
    Lots of post about that here on the forums.

To give you independent level control to live streaming you could use a matrix mix output or set up an independent mix to feed the live stream.

Distortion and buzzing are two different things generally with different causes.
    Distortion is normally a signal level overload issue, buzzing is from equipment interface grounding issues.

Do you hear buzzing on the live stream audio when the system is turned on but without
    any program audio.

You may need some transformer isolation between the stage box output and the computer.
    The mentioned USB interface would do that.
    The proper transformer isolation could also take care of the balanced line to 3.5mm stereo inputs and the level issue.

RussInWY
    Participant

Thank you everyone. I didn’t realize the output levels would be different between the connections. I have been using an XLR->TRS adaptor with a TRS cable running into the line-in port on the computer, assuming that since audio came through mostly fine until multiple voices were present that it wasn’t a problem.

Is there a way to adjust the level of the output while still using the LR?

I also said distortion/buzzing, but buzzing isn’t the right description. It’s best to just say distortion, sorry for the confusion.

For an interface, does anyone have a reasonably priced recommendation they’d use? Or would I just be best to set the computer up next to the board and use the USB port on that? I guess that would be assuming the sound clears up once I update the firmware.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Connecting the mixer to the computer directly via usb would be the cheapest first attempt. There are however quit some stories floating around of problems with strange pops, clicks etc. You may get lucky, I for one never had a problem with that.

This time do your homework and read through the forum. Almost all the answers you need are there already.

Good luck

Giga

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

For an interface, does anyone have a reasonably priced recommendation they’d use?

“Resaonable” is not well defined. But I think even a budget interface like an Behringer UMC202HD, Evo 4, Steinberg UR22 or similar will help a lot.

Using the USB interface of the QU will avoid an extra DA and AD conversion. On the other hand an external Interface might give you more flexibility with the Gain settings and allows you to run an extra computer for multi track recordings.
    Nevertheless the hint to use a matrix to adjust the level of the Stream independent from the live level is it worth to think about it. Imagine that the live sound level must be adjusted for some reason. you do not want to change the level of the stream as well, it should be constant.

RussInWY
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. A friend has a focusrite interface (Scarlett something or other) that we tested this morning. I believe this has resolved a lot of the issue and anything remaining can be adjusted out. We will pick up something along those lines for our use. I’m very pleased with where we are at, so thank you everyone for your time in helping me understand the issues and how to resolve them

As far as the read through the forums remark, I really wish people didn’t respond with those types of comments, here or anywhere else. I understand the answers are there but it often is the case that one simply does not know how to find the right question. This doesn’t mean I didn’t search through the forums. I did prior to asking and a few times since, and I’ve learned a bit. As I stated in the beginning, I’m a tech person, not a sound person. Telling someone new to your area of expertise to do their own homework discourages them from interacting and often end up without a solution, and certainly doesn’t come off as friendly. Yes, posting a question is an easier way out than reading 2000 entries, but when you buy a piece of equipment for several thousand dollars, you don’t want to spend 14 evenings of your free time trying to figure it out when the solution could be a simple “have you tried this?”.

I have contributed to many forums because people need help and I’m happy to provide it if I can. I rarely ask tech related questions because I know how to find answers, whether it be a programming issue, a systems administration issue, or device function, or something like that. When I have spent a lot of time trying to wade through a sea of information and I have no clue where to start because it isn’t my area of expertise, I sometimes will reach out and ask an expert. Being told to do my own homework tells me to not come back until I’ve learned more. Big turn off. I do appreciate the help, though. I have spent a long time doing the wrong things and I’m glad I posted the question.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.