Default scene startup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Default scene startup

This topic contains 32 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of barberousse barberousse 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mark. You could but then you should have saved it to that scene or not and went back to your last saved. I really think the console should ask before you shutdown if you want to save or not. Just like any computer would. Sure I make changes to a scene during a performance but it doesn’t mean I necessarily want to keep that.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

So, in my case, would I have to do some “save as” just to keep my current layout which is not based on any scene at all? Am I enforced to use scenes now?
    And what about unexpected power failure without the chance for a “save as”? Should it really revert to the last scene recalled (maybe weeks ago)?
    And things probably get even more complicated if safes are used, which makes the “current” layout rely on a particular sequence of scene recalls…
    I personally really don’t want the desk to behave like a computer, where I often have to bother how to trick out some “helpful” mechanism to get the device to behave as I need it. I like it to behave like a plain analogue desk. Switch off and on and still there.
    But maybe thats only me.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I like my desks to switch back on exactly how I left them and then If I want to load a different scene or reset I can do that.
    I save scenes progressively as I am working in most cases.
    Although I can see from a theatre point of view this may not be the case and scene 1 or start up might be needed?

AFter spending 6 8 12 14 hours on a desk in studio I always save something somewhere but occasionally I forget!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

On my customers complaint the desk comes back how they shut it down but it doesn’t display that. The thinking is it should.

Profile photo of Dags
    Dags
    Participant

I use the Scene memory as my venue memory – mainly for recalling EQ settings for particular rooms/halls I work in.
    (If there’s a better way to do this please enlighten me)

So if I make any changes to the scene (usually an EQ tweak) that I want to keep I always update the relevant Scene in the console and on my USB stick.
    It’s just a workflow process I have adopted and I sinply have to remember to save any changes I want to have recalled next time I load that venue scene.

Dags

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Personally I don’t like “restore on power on” in most cases.

We use it at church – the Roland boots into scene 00, which is locked (so it doesn’t get accidentally overwritten)
    Scene 01 is the “scratch space” – this is where we all save the working state of the desk as we build the weekends setup.

If we need to save a setup off for a future event then there are hundreds of available scenes to use.

When I’m out gigging I load a scene, and want it to stay as set in the event of power glitches.
    If I had a QU at church I would have a softkey set to “load scene 0” or similar.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

if you touch a fader the scene content is already altered so the state has from now on nothing to do with the scene content
    so it makes no sense to show last recalled scene after a reboot

if you need to start with a defined state then recall a scene at startup

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Potentially then the “recalled scene” should be greyed out or something the moment anything is changed. Then you would recall with a greyed out 1 there (or, better still, nothing)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

This has gotten way too complicated verses my original intent in mentioning it.
    All I am saying is this. I think it would be better if the console booted up displaying in the scene window the last scene it was on at shutdown and that scene also displaying in the lower part of the screen. Whether or not any changes have been made. Sure last state can remain. It’s not recalling only displaying. If the operator knows that he can choose to recall the previous saved version of that scene or proceed from that point.
    How hard is that? It’s just a logical thing that I left on scene 10. Boot up. My display shows scene 1. Makes no sense to me.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

What is the behaviour on saving after a power failure?
    That’s the critical issue surely…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the desk starts always in last state,
    except the startup scene is set

that makes it difficult to list the last recalled scene
    you can change all parameters without saving them to a scene

I didn’t say that it would be useful for some, but it’s misleading for others.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

quote GCumbe

This has gotten way too complicated verses my original intent in mentioning it.
    All I am saying is this. I think it would be better if the console booted up displaying in the scene window the last scene it was on at shutdown and that scene also displaying in the lower part of the screen. Whether or not any changes have been made. Sure last state can remain. It’s not recalling only displaying. If the operator knows that he can choose to recall the previous saved version of that scene or proceed from that point.
    How hard is that? It’s just a logical thing that I left on scene 10. Boot up. My display shows scene 1. Makes no sense to me.

Dug this thread up searching if there was a solution -for whatever reason- wanting the source of ‘Scene 1’ available upon start up.
    Between two QU’s, several varieties of scene setups -live gigs, live record templates, in home studio templates etc and sometimes flipping through track layouts or names to ID the template (scene).
    I agree a simple asterisk or such on the ‘source would be plenty. But as I presume there will be no further updates on the QU(?).. I think I found a solution.
    To bad we’re restricted to six digits names in the mixer but a next best workaround;
    Name ‘Mix LR’ with with the template’s scene number.
    It comes up in two button pushes, ‘select LR’ and either Processing or the Routing pages.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

At our gig last night I was using my ‘Default indoor’ scene (scene 4) for our band. Everything seemed fine, however we tripped the noise limiter (which had an absurdly low limit, it was a family party at a social club and we’re not loud!). When power was restored we had weird issues, there was feedback/ringing even though all channels and all mixes were muted (including LR). Anything with a compressor ‘ON’ gradually went into max compression (red vertical bar) one channel at a time over a minute or so. It seemed to have some internal feedback going on. I first switched off all compressors then in a panic I decided to reset and did a controlled shutdown. We got going again and managed fine (very quietly). Only later I went to the mixer intending to save the scene as a new ‘indoor quiet’ scene did I realise that the mixer ‘current scene’ field was blank (I had forgotten to re-select a scene) and the ‘next scene’ field was set to scene 1 (default outdoor).

So a couple of questions…
    After a power interruption where, according to other comments, it should have reverted to the previous scene, why did I get those weird issues which weren’t there before? (I can’t recall what scene was ‘current’, if any, at that point.
    After the controlled shutdown, power-up doesn’t result in any scene being selected, and I forgot to select one, so what ‘state’ would the mixer have been in if ‘current scene’ was blank?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

The QU normally always starts up in its last state that it was shut down in previously. I have had instances were power has suddenly been lost, but my QU has always restarted in its last state regardless of whether I had saved it or not. It might not necessarily show the correct scene name, but it is always as I last left it.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The only instance when a scene will be loaded at startup is when you log into the basic user and you have set a specific scene to load.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.