Dante Card For SQ with SRC?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Dante Card For SQ with SRC?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Showtime Showtime 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Hi Keith-

Any work being done on a Dante card for the SQ line that will do smple rate conversion?

D.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi tourtelot,

The Dante card for SQ Series is doing 96k and 48kHz.

What do you need?
    44,1 ?

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The Dante card is doing sample rate conversion already… if your Dante network is running with 48kHz the sample rate gets converted to the internal 96kHz…

tourtelot
    Participant

My thoughts on such a Dante card (and I believe that Yamaha has such a card) is to allow my SQ6, running at 96k, to be able to send and receive to a Dante stream running at another sample rate. Let’s say hooking up to a house system in a venue that is running at 48k.

D.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

That’s what I said…

you can switch the Dante card to 48kHz while your SQ is running 96kHz… it’s always running 96kHz

tourtelot
    Participant

Maybe I’m just confused that the Yamaha Dante card will do something that the A&H card won’t do?

D.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

The SQ card works fine on 48KHz Dante networks while the console stays at 96KHz.

I use it between my SQ5 and a Yamaha LS9 with no problems at all.

Yes the new Yamaha cards has the possibility to downsync to 44.1KHz, or “split” the clock in case you combine two different Dante networks.

The again, to see a card for a highend console being more versatile than a card for a midrange console, is quite natural imho.
    (after all he talks about the D-live competitor console and as the “low end” the Avantis competitor.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The Yamaha Rivage can be set to several internal sampling rates (word clock), so it can be easily in a digital audio environment without the need of SRC. So, a Dante Card with SRC might be new for Yamaha consoles, because they do not need it necessarily.
    In opposite to this, the SQ works always, ALWAYS, with 96kHz internal. Therefore they use SRC for AES/EBU Output and the expansion cards.

tourtelot
    Participant

Yes Soren. “Yes the new Yamaha cards has the possibility to downsync to 44.1KHz, or “split” the clock in case you combine two different Dante networks.”

The idea of being able to combine two Dante networks at different sample rates is what appeals to me. That would allow, say, my 96k recording network to take inputs from a FOH console in a venue on a Dante network running at 48K.

To all, I know about the SQ running at a base rate of 96k and allowing connection in a network running 48k. But that doesn’t solve the potential problem of having to record at a lower SR because I need to include a outside network that runs at 48k.

That’s why the Yamaha card is of interest to me.

Just a FR like many that can’t/won’t get implimented. No biggie. Just a thought.

D.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Ahhh then I understand your post.

We are not talking the src but the splitting of the Dante network right in the card, agree that will be a very usefull feature when arriving to (some) venues.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I am not sure, but I think it is not possible to have two different clocks in one Dante network (since there is a clock master in this network) and afaik there is no way to allow a node, like the SQ, to be part of two networks. So, SRC can only be done between the SQ and the Dante network. And afaik the only two sample rates which are supported by the SQ are 96 and 48 kHz. I never tried to use the SQ with a Dante network on 44.1 kHz, for instance.

BTW: that limitation of one network and one clock in this network is also true for the Yamaha Dante card, when I am not completely wrong. But maybe the Rivage can use two expansion cards connected to two Dante networks with two different clocks. But that is not questionable for the SQ since there is only one expansion card possible.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Maybe i missed something, the yamaha dante card cost twice the price of an sq5.

This is an complet different range, if you need 48 and 96 khz in one network the avantis with 2 dante card’s is an option.

Richard

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.