D-Live Mix Pad app Scene Store

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions D-Live Mix Pad app Scene Store

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RuneS RuneS 3 hours, 31 minutes ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mixtrix67
    Mixtrix67
    Participant

Hello All, As a 35 year industry professional, I am struggling with some of the features or lack there of in The D-live MixPad app.
    Before I get started on an endless rant about the lack of reasonable operable features in the D live mixed app.

Can someone please tell me how to create, save or update scenes in the D-Live MixPad app? If this is not possible WHY?
    Also why can’t I edit effects processors parameters from MixPad app.

I have just completed an installation in a small venue where there is no room for a console surface. I went with a D-Live mix engine CDM48 due to the feature set and processing power, and the ability to run at 96khz available in a rack mount form.

I believed the truth in advertising that I could easily operate the CDM48 from either Director or MixPad. Neither seems to take into account ease of use or set up for an admin or end user.

I dont understand why the feature set for the apps at this price point doesn’t come close to that of Behringer/ Midas or low end Yamaha TF series iPad apps. Yamaha Rivage has this ability to address every function available on the surface or mix engine from the iPad app.

Please Help here, I have sold the client on this point of operation and spent the money, without being able to achieve the ability to easily commission and hand off this system with the fully functionality required in this situation.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

You can definately use dLive with Director only. It has all the features of the hardware surfaces, and the exact same UI.
    MixPad…is a different story. It is definately not designed to be used without a surface. There are however 3rd party solutions that are better. Mixing Station is a great app iPad, iPhone and Android. It lets you control a lot more features in a much better way.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You have to understand A&H perspective on the issue….. They consider the DLive Director to be the preferred way to control the system with software. The iPad app was not designed to support all of the features of the DLive and the “missing functionality” will likely will never be added. It’s designed to give a person who is running the show from a surface (either a hardware or Director software surface) a way to quickly walk around the facility and make minor adjustments. Again, it’s not designed to run your whole show from. This is a stark departure from the “lower tier” A&H consoles that don’t have Director software available for those systems. Those systems have much more functionality in their iPad apps because it is the only software option available on those consoles vs the higher end systems that have the Director software available.

As RuneS mentioned, the third party app Mixing Station supports DLive and it really is designed to be able to run a whole show from. I’m not sure if every DLive feature/setting is available in the software, but if not it is really close. It certainly has a lot more functionality available vs the DLive iPad app. So if you need more functionality from a tablet or other mobile device, it is well worth the low price of the DLive Mixing Station license.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Be aware that Mixing Station is not compatible with Dlive 2.0 at this time. If you implement the current version of MS, “scenes” are stored in the app and not on Dlive. With the improvements to scene midi protocol in 2.0, I anticipate the new version will be able to store and recall Dlive scenes.

Dlive apps are built for specific use cases:

Director: surfaceless operation with full access to parameters (best with touchscreen PC).

Mixapp for iPad: generic, mobile mixing functionality (ring out monitors, adjust levels)

OneMix for Ipad: generic, single mix app for limited access operator (IEMs or satellite feeds)

Custom Control browser-based App: customizable app interface to give select users specific controls (can be quite powerful, but best to keep simple for most clients)

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Mixing Station IS compatible with dLive v2.0. Took him less than a week to fix it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.