Autosave function in backup scene.

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Autosave function in backup scene.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Julian Tinao Julian Tinao 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Julian Tinao
    Julian Tinao
    Participant

When dLive shutdown abruptly it will not remember it previous state. It will come back to the last SAVED secene. This can be a problem if you lost power in the middle of a show or sound check and didn’t saved the scene with the last changes. The constant fear of loosing a change in a scene is something new to me that I had never experienced used other mixing desks …
    Most consoles can lose power and wake up in the same state as they where when the power was lost. This should be the norm …
    If there is a technical limitation with dLive OS to achieve this, at least there should be a way to create a backup scene, with an automated autosave every minute or so, for the power loss to be less problematic.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Not true…
    Mixrack bootes the last state after shutdown. As long as you not recall a scene/show or push setting on connecting a surface, you loose nothing.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

dLive will only load a scene on boot if you setup a ‘Mixrack startup scene’. Otherwise it boots to its last state.

Julian Tinao
    Participant

Dont know what you call “last state”. But it is certainly not working well. Do your test, save a scene, then move some eq, then force a power loss. Restart and the last eq change will not be there.
    Should I report this as a bug ?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

You haven’t yet commented on, if your setup has a Mixrack startup scene set up….

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Julian Tinao, I don’t need to test this. It has worked like that since launch 8 years ago. Check if you have a mixrack startup scene. If you do, you need to remove it.

Julian Tinao
    Participant

I don’t have a mixrack start up scene. Do the test, you will surprise. Or maybe I need to send my dm0 to service …
    If I change some levels and some eq just before forcing power down, the changes will not be there on the next power up. Maybe there is some time for the internal autosave function. But it is certainly not saving instant changes with a few seconds of difference. Will try waiting a little longer on the test, but forcing a power down like 15 seconds after a change will end in loosing the changes.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I believe you are doing this correctly based on your posts but just to clarify, you are pressing the “power down” button and letting the system power down properly and not simply turning the power switch off, correct?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

@brian, not sure, if that would make any difference. I have a surface-less setup, so there is no way to “power down”. It’s just a hard switch from the Mixrack and it always boots up in the last state. Although I have never tested a change and immediate power down. But to be honest, I don’t believe there is something like a timeframe…

Julian Tinao
    Participant

Of course I’m NOT pressing the power down button!! I’m forcing a “wrong power loss”. If I’m powering down the desk I will save the scene. The problem is what happens when you “lose power” the bad way, in the middle of something happening.
    Everyone is giving opinions, but no one did the test, I assure you there is a timeframe at least, in wich if you made some changes and lose power right after (on the mixrack obviously), the changes will not be there after boot up again.

I did not try it without a surface, I’m doing my test with a surface connected, but I doubt that changes anything.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The last events I had with a power loss, the system worked correctly.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Just to make this absolutely clear…upon power up the dLive mixracks return to the same state as when you powered it off. It does not matter if you power it off with the power button, or pull the power plug out of the wall.
    If your system does not perform this way it is either caused by a startup scene in the mixrack or a hardware fault with your mixrack. Either way, contact support to have it resolved. It is really that simple.

Profile photo of Perttu
    Perttu
    Participant

One of the great features of dLive is that it indeed powers up in the exact last state. Did you get yours behaving the same Julian?

Julian Tinao
    Participant

People, here is the test in video I had to do proving my point.

As you can see in the video, if you make a change and lose power, the change will be lost when power up.
    If someone upload a video doing the same test and behaving any different I will take my TWO NEW DM0 to service. But I doubt any of you really tested what I’m talking here…
    Until that, can we continue discussing this feature ?

Profile photo of lposound
    lposound
    Participant

Hi Julian,

I’ve been following this thread with interest since the beginning but only took the time to test on my dLive today.

Let’s keep it short and efficient, according to my test (1 unmute every 5 seconds for 60 seconds = 12 unmutes), after a sudden power cut, the dLive boots to its last state… minus about 25-30 seconds (7 unmutes were kept but not the last 5 that occurred in the last 30 seconds before the power “loss”)! The test gives the same result regardless of when it’s started. We can therefore assume that the autosave is not performed on an hourly basis, but continuously, with a constant 30-second offset.

All in all, your feature suggestion made me discover something about my beloved dLive… which I’ve had for over 6 years now! So, thank you!

Loïc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.