Auto-sensing Ethernet

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ feature suggestions Auto-sensing Ethernet

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of plastic_soul plastic_soul 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of plastic_soul
    plastic_soul
    Participant

I’m quite surprised that the Ethernet port isn’t auto-sensing. Almost every appliance, whether a television, AppleTV, or printer does this. They’re WiFi by default but automatically switch to Ethernet if you plug in a live cable. This already screwed me at a gig. My DAW is hard-wired only and I forgot to manually switch my CQ-20B to WiFi before I left for a gig. Once at the venue, there was no way to connect by Ethernet to switch to WiFi, so we had no IEMs. Switching back and forth before and after every gig is a major chore.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

This comment is not intended to lessen the importance of your feature request. But since you already are required to have an external device to control the CQ-20B, I would suggest getting a network adapter for that device (most likely a USB to Ethernet adapter) so that you can establish a hardwired connection between the two devices should you find yourself in this situation again.

plastic_soul
    Participant

Requiring additional adapters undermines the best selling point of the CQ series – convenience and portability. It replaced an X18 because I was so impressed by the form factor and claims that the built-in WiFi actually works (unlike the Behringer and Soundcraft). That said, I’ve already lost my WiFI connection multiple times during a gig (though reconnecting is quick) and the need to manually switch between Ethernet and WiFi is just silly. Right now network connectivity has not been a positive experience for me. I love it otherwise…

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

To be honest, you should never reply on the internal WiFi transmitter on an audio console. I don’t care what brand of equipment you are using, I mean they are inside a metal case which is designed to be placed to make connecting audio I/O easy, not to maximize the effectiveness of a WiFi antenna. External routers/wireless APs are extremely inexpensive and can be placed to optimize the performance of the WiFi system. In addition, this would solve your “WiFi vs Ethernet” issue because it would be Ethernet 100% of the time.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

“Requiring additional adapters undermines the best selling point of the CQ series –”

If that is so, maybe get something from Unifi :-)?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You just need to get a decent basic WIFI router, set it for 5g operation, connect it to the ethernet jack.
    Like Brian was getting at, you’ll find the external router works better.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Also, by using an external router, you can place it high up above head height for maximum coverage. If I was ever going to use my CQ-20 for some of the PA hire jobs I do and I didn’t want to use my QU, an external router would be paramount. I wouldn’t like to be trusting the internal WIFI whilst being positioned at the back of a room full of people.

🙂

plastic_soul
    Participant

To be honest, you should never reply on the internal WiFi transmitter on an audio console. I don’t care what brand of equipment you are using, I mean they are inside a metal case

That mindset is only acceptable because the previous implementations (Soundcraft, Behringer) are all crap. This really isn’t that hard if they don’t use obsolete chipsets and ill-conceived designs. Again, almost every consumer product has stable WiFi at this point. Also, I haven’t actually had major issues with the WiFi.

In addition, this would solve your “WiFi vs Ethernet” issue because it would be Ethernet 100% of the time.

This is an excellent point that I’ll need to consider if they never upgrade to auto-sensing. It does wreck that I have everything in a self-contained 4U flight case right now.

If that is so, maybe get something from Unifi :-)?

IT is my profession. If rock-solid WiFI was my goal, I’d opt for Meraki, Ruckus, or Cisco. Unifi is a decent prosumer product, but has shortcomings appropriate for its price point.

Also, by using an external router, you can place it high up above head height for maximum coverage.

The antenna on the CQ-20B is detachable so you simply need to extend it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.