“Image not found” while trying to update & installing Dante card

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting “Image not found” while trying to update & installing Dante card

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christian Fictoor Christian Fictoor 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saylorville
    saylorville
    Participant

Hi. We recently installed a 64×64 Dante card into our SQ6. We powered off the unit, installed and powered back on. It doesn’t show up under the I/O options. We assumed we needed to update the firmware. We are on 1.5.7 and 1.5.10 is available. We’ve tried multiple USB drives (even ones we know we’ve used for recording) and tried multiple firmwares between the two versions and we consistently get “image not found” on the Firmware Update page. We’ve formatted the USB drives with the console, moved the .bin file to the root of the drive and tried the update without success. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks!

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Just to be sure, you did unzip the file you downloaded from the site?
    Had a few who missed that step, as windows have a tendency to hide the .zip unless instructed to show filetype.

saylorville
    Participant

The file is not zipped. It’s an .bin file. Thanks!

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Just wanted to make sure, as I have seen people copy the downloaded .zip file onto the USB key without unzipping it.

A few other things that “might” be connected:

The USB key is formatted on the console ?

And naturally you have the correct console type of update (SQ5, SQ6, SQ7)

saylorville
    Participant

Yes, tried 4 USB drives, all formatted by the console. 2 we’ve been using regularly to record audio from the console.

Yes, doubled checked that also that we are on SQ6 firmware.

Thanks for both ideas.

Update on the Dante card if it matters: It’s a 64×64 V3. I assume I need the firmware update due to it being a V3.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

If you are trying to update the console’s firmware, are you following the SQ Firmware Update procedures to the “t”? https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-Firmware-Update-Instructions.pdf

If you follow those instructions and still get this error, it is likely an incompatible USB drive. This is not uncommon and it’s possible that all four of your drives are incompatible, especially if they are from the same manufacturer or came with “special” software on them to make backing up things easier, etc. That type of software is usually installed on it’s own boot partition which can cause issues too.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Update on the Dante card if it matters: It’s a 64×64 V3. I assume I need the firmware update due to it being a V3.

Yes. You need to be on SQ Firmware 1.5.10 before the “V3” Dante card will be recognized by the system. The V3 cards, while having the exact same specs/capabilities of the V2 cards, do use different components (ie chips that are actually available today) and the console needs that firmware (or later) before it card will be recognized by the system. So your experience with the card not being recognized is 100% due to this issue.

saylorville
    Participant

I feel I’m following the directions exactly. I’ve used two different “types” of USB drives, two we’ve been using regularly for recording from the console. None have any built in software. Formatted by the console. I plan to try some other USB drives and the same process using a Windows computer.

saylorville
    Participant

SOLVED: After 9 different USB drives, one finally worked. The only think I can think of is it is a 4gb drive. Some others were larger.

Profile photo of Solomon
    Solomon
    Participant

I am having the same issue. I have tried 3 different brands.
    I have tried multiple sizes and I can’t get it to update.
    I am trying to move from 1.5.4 to 1.5.10 and even tried 1.5.5
    Nothing works. Any ideas or Flashdrive brands anyone has used to be successful? I have an event in 2 days and I need the Dante V3 card but it won’t work until I get the firmware up to date. Please help

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

While I can’t be sure this is the problem people are experiencing, I think the fact that a lot of these flash drives come with pre-installed shit, I mean “free software” on them causes a lot of the incompatibility issues. This software is usually for backing up or recovering data and it’s usually on its own boot partition. You really need to make sure all the “extra” drive partitions are removed and you have just a single “data only” type partition.

Profile photo of Solomon
    Solomon
    Participant

Issue resolved.
    The problem is with Apple’s new OSX. It creates a metadata tag file when you move the files over that can’t be seen on Apple but you can see them on a PC. The workaround is to copy the files from a PC not Apple until they can fix this issue.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

The problem is with Apple’s new OSX.

or the problem is A&H’s code that freaks out when it sees something it doesn’t recognize.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

or the problem is A&H’s code that freaks out when it sees something it doesn’t recognize.

Installing a firmware is something that can easily “brick” a device if it is done incorrectly. I can absolutely understand why A&H would have such a strict adherence to file structure and file types in it’s update programming. Having “something the system doesn’t recognize” could easily lead to completely inoperable equipment due to a failed/corrupted update process.

Profile photo of Christian Fictoor
    Christian Fictoor
    Participant

Thanks the MACOS tip worked for me as well. Maybe good if A&H states this as a well know problem in their install guide? Would save a lot of us Macbook owners a lot of time 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.