AR84's not working after Firmware Update

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting AR84's not working after Firmware Update

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gene gene 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JWT
    JWT
    Participant

I just updated one of my GLD-80 desks to firmware version V1.62 from V1.51 to permit the use of the newer GLD OneMix app. I did this with the desk in the shop.

When I connected it to a rack containing one AR2412 and two AR84 units, the AR2412 works, but the AR84’s have no link light and aren’t communicating with the desk.

I use two GLD-80 consoles in various configurations, “mixing and matching” stage boxes, including an AB168 (which also does not work with this desk) in live and recording situations. We’ve always applied the firmware updates to the desks in the shop and have never had an issue deploying them to the field i various configurations.

I think I saw some “fine print” somewhere that said the firmware in the interfaces is updated with the console firmware, but the update process doesn’t explicitly say to connect all of the external hardware when updating. In fact, I think it explicitly did say to disconnect any ME-1’s

Did the communication format in V1.62 change such as to not be backward compatible with the older interfaces? If so, how do I recover from this? Can I simply plug the interfaces into the console and reapply the firmware update? Do I need to downgrade the firmware, hook everything up, and then reapply?

Help! The rig is in a theater for tech rehearsals this week and performances the weekend of July 8-10.

Thanks!

Profile photo of JWT
    JWT
    Participant

Update – I just re-read the update instructions, and it says explicitly

“AudioRacks currently connected or connected later to the GLD will have their
    firmware automatically updated by the GLD during the boot process”, which explains why I didn’t have any issues in the past. Kinda puts me back to square one.

Before anyone asks, I did open up the units and test the power supply voltages with a DVM, and they all looked good. I also saw that the multi-pin connector that connects the interface card to the motherboard was canted on at least one of the units due to the bottom board apparently flexing, with no support under it. I reseated the connectors on both units before reassembling.

Ideas? If I buy a new AR84, which I should probably have as a spare anyway, will it come with the newest firmware, or will I be in the same situation?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Have you tried connecting the AR84s directly to the console’s expansion port. Maybe it will update there?

Profile photo of JWT
    JWT
    Participant

Hi, Scott – thanks for your response.

This is a fully loaded system, so one of the AR84’s is directly connected to the expansion port. The other is fed from the AR2412.

The AR2412 works fine, but neither AR84 will link up with the system. I don’t recall if I tried moving the other AR84 from the AR2412 port to the console or not.

A technician finally contacted me late yesterday. Her recommendation is to downgrade the firmware on the desk to the earlier version to get the units working, then if successful, redo the upgrade to V 1.62 with the units all connected. (The desk was previously updated in the shop and not connected to the I/O rack).

Also, as a “Plan B”, I just received a brand new AR84 this morning, so I’ll make sure it works. Best case we’ll have a wpare/backup unit, worst case it’ll buy me eight more channels to use for rehearsals while we troubleshoot the others.

Thanks again for you suggestion!

Jerry Turnbow

Profile photo of BDM
    BDM
    Participant

We lost access to the AR-84 when we updated the firmware. The AR-84 is connected via the AR2412. We have tried going back to previous level, the AR-84 still did not work. Now back at latest level with a non-working AR-84. Any ideas on how to re-connect to the AR-84?
    Thanks,
    Brian Masters

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi @JWT,

This could be related to an issue we are investigating on V1.62 firmware. We have updated the website download page to recommend V1.61 unless you have a recent AR2412 that requires V1.62 (serial number greater than 1006547):

GLD Series

Profile photo of BDM
    BDM
    Participant

Hi Nicola,
    Thanks for the reply. Apparently we did install our previous level to see if we could access the AR-84 again, but we couldn’t. So, they re-installed the v1.62 level again. Is there a suggested level to go back to, or a process to re-establish access to the AR-84? i.e. is the v1.61 likely to re-establish a connection?
    We are unlikely to try any firmware changes leading up to Christmas as we cannot afford the risk of another breakage before then. We are surviving on just using the AR-2412 for now. I am trying to find out is there a non-firmware change solution? Or, if there a firmware change required, which level and any specific guidance for the upgrade?
    Thanks,
    Brian Masters

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Brian,
    I’d suggest downgrading to V1.61, and connecting the AR84 direct to the dSNAKE port of the mixer if possible, like Scott suggested. As you do so, allow a minute or so after boot up for any firmware update of the box (the light on the dSNAKE port might be flashing rapidly). If that works, you should be able to move the AR84 back to its location (cascaded from the AR2412). Otherwise, I’d recommend you open a Support ticket.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

The same thing happened to us going from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2. We tried all the things suggested here on the forums, but no matter what we did we couldn’t get all 3 hardware units to sync. It would sync 2 AR84’s or 1 2412 and an AR84, but not all three.

We also had the bug where when you tried to shut down the GLD, it would immediately reboot as if it was shut down improperly and have to be shut down a second time.

Very surprised these issues haven’t been addressed in the year since 1.6.2 came out. I know GLD is discontinued, but why send out a firmware update that breaks things?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.