AR2412 not booting…. or is it??

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting AR2412 not booting…. or is it??

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geoff Geoff 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

hey guys,

Two gigs ago I very nearly had a heart attack – I had rigged up and turned the AR2412 and amp rack all on…
    ….and the usual power light on the rear of the AR2412 decided to NOT turn on – but the power fan was whirring away.

Quickly I changed out IEC’s, Fuses, isolated different power supplies etc.
    So I left it the way it was and rapidly bounced to the phone to get another one sent up from my friend who also has one..

Whilst on the Phone about 20 minutes later the lights came all on on the front of the AR2412.
    WEIRD I THOUGHT – so I disconnected and reconnected it all again and it was all fine again – problem solved I thought (somehow)

Then on last nights gig I had the same thing all happen to me again – NOT COOL.
    SO – I am writing here to see if anyone else has experienced a 20 minute lag in the AR2412 booting up???

ANYONE???
    Thanks

Jonny

jonnyweston
    Participant

I should have said that everything is on version 1.4 firmware.
    I have also had the problem when using the same AR2412 with one of the QU16’s aswell.

The power light on the rear does not come on – the signal light on the fornt does not come on – only the fan activates on the rear.

It also exhibits this problem regardless of whether or not the CAT 5 is plugged in.
    It may all be sorted when I put version 1.42 on later today – but for months and months version 1.4 never once gave me any problems – nothing has changed to prompt this vast reduction in performance.

The Ar2412 is mounted in a shock-protected rack, its always handled with extreme care – it kinda has to be causes its in the same rack as two IPD2400 Lab amps so its a heavyish rack and its always packed into the van on its bottom and wedged in so it cannot possibly move.

This is doing my head in – I shouldn’t have to consider bringing a spare AR2412 with me to gigs – but this is heartbreaking right now LOL!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

This only sort of answers it, but I have a TC M2000 with a failing switch-mode power supply that exhibits the same delayed boot up after around 20 minutes. The screen backlight comes on immediately, but the unit doesn’t fully boot for a while.

It’s unlikely to be the exact same issue, but here are the details on the TC, for what it’s worth.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20801.20

Chris

jonnyweston
    Participant

Hi chris,

Yes that kind of makes sense in a way too – definitely is an avenue worth ruling out.

Strangely – after it’s powered up and been running for a bit, I have discovered now that if I turn it off and turn it back on again after a minute or twos day…. it will stay back on again.

So weird – I will try and rule out the dodgy PSU.

For tonight though – I think one of the QU16 will be coming with me – with some analogue multicore to see me through just in case!

Thanks chris,

JW

Ps anyone with any more ideas a please still feel free to lend me your thoughts also.

Thanks

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

My friend with a GLD-80 and AR2412 told me the same issue (not 20min but 5min or so!) but it happened only 2 times (yet) i told him to save the log on a usb stick and send it to the A&H support! But he didn’t do it yet!
    So best advise for you: send the log to A&H support and tell them the date and approx time of this issue! They will check if it is a software or hardware problem!

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

Hi, Johnny.

We had our AR2412 behave *exactly* as you describe.

Turned out to be a hardware problem (I believe it was power supply but don’t quote me on that) and we wound up having our dealer ship it back to be repaired under warranty.

That was more than a year ago and it’s worked flawlessly since.

jonnyweston
    Participant

Indeed chaps – thanks for your thoughts.

I stopped past our local (ahem about 60miles away blurrrrrghhhh) A&H repair shop, and they have had a very quick look at it – reckoning a failing power supply is to blame.

They are going to replace the power supply at the start of the week, and will let me know how they get on there.

I’d hate to think that the power supply would fail after about only 100 gigs since buying it – seems a bit premature to be honest.

I will let y’all know how I get on.
    Many thanks

Jonny

jonnyweston
    Participant

Unfortunately, I don’t think it logs anything to the error log file, as the problem seems irradicated once the unit is powered up.

Thanks again chaps!!
    JW

eotsskleet
    Participant

We will send in our AR2412 as well! Let you know what they find out!

Profile photo of theTovi
    theTovi
    Participant

Hi there,
    sorry for my bad english… i´m from germany.
    i have the same problem with my AR2412…

i use a GLD-80 with an AR2412 and AR84 for a touring band doing FOH Sound and 5 Stereo InEarmixes from FOH.

This summer we play a lot of festivals in Germany.
    One Day two weeks ago we go on stage with all our stuff, plug everything like every day but there was no connection to the AR2412. The fan was working, but no LEDs flashing on the front.
    If only i connecteed the AR84, in less than a second there was a connection to the GLD. So the Cat5 Cable and the GLD were ok.

We changed power cables, power on, power off, changed power sources, with or without powerconditioner and so on at the AR2412…
    But only the fan was still working.

It is very bad if you stay on stage, the crowd in front of the stage are going crazy because the band does not start their concert, the time is running, and today you have to mix the headliner of the festival and the band is the reason for all the people to come to the festival. Only because one most important thing, your AR2412, does not work your are near to a heart attack. And you can not change to the local mixing desk because you doing crazy things on the GLD (thats why i use and love it) and you can not transfer this in a short time to the local mixing desk.
    So you have to think about the fine if you can not play the concert.

Suddenly the AR2412 works, nobody knows why, no one takes his hands on it in this situation – happy we do a super fast Signal-Check and start our concert with 30min delay.
    The next days the AR2412 works with no single connection problem.
    ——–
    I had the same problem 3 monthes ago with another band, but there i had a lot of time before the show, only 14 Inputs, no cracy things in the GLD – possible to switch on another desk. But there after 10min the AR2412 worked…
    ——–
    And one day in my warehouse the AR2412 does´t worked. In this moment i was busy with other things so i give it no attention and after some minutes the AR2412 runs… and i did not worry about it…
    ——–
    But now i think, after three times, there is a bigger problem with it. The AR2412 is in service now by my local dealer and we got a brand new AR2412 Crome for Backup to play the rest of our concerts for this season without fear.

Maybe the problem depends on the latest firmware update? Or is it the powersupply? I am very excited about what the problem is …

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not sure this is related but only issue I have ever had with 2412 was on July 4. Getting ready for riverfront concerts and fireworks. 12,000 people coming. I had a power light but no sound. QU16 seemed ok. We tested the CAT cable with Ethernet tester. It showed ok. I tested the power distro the city had installed. The one by the console was 124VAC. The one by the stage box and power amps was 104VAC. There were 2 on stage. Other was 124. We swapped them and got the 124 on the box and amps. Everything worked fine. No more problems.

So check your power. These things just don’t like low voltage. I have seen this with other gear over the years. Also on high power I have seen up to 130+VAC and gear would get hot and thermal protection shut it down.

eotsskleet
    Participant

Hi everyone! Is there a solution on a failing power up? Just had the same issue with my AR2412… Fan starts working but blue Power-Light needs a boot up up to 15min till it works! I will send mine in to my A&H dealer! Looks like a power supply issue!?

jonnyweston
    Participant

Hey there,

Sadly it is quite a common occurrence.
    I have three AR2412 now, and all of them have exhibited the same filling power supply, the oldest of which is two years old, and the youngest of which is only 4 months old.

It’s happened on them all. Two were done under warranty and the first I paid about 60 to get a new switching power supply fitted.

Hope this helps,
    Jonny

eotsskleet
    Participant

I just got the information from my dealer that they have to replace the PCB and not the power supply to fix this boot-up problem! Cost me about 230CHF to get it fixed! Hope that was the issue! Keep you up-to-date when I got back my stagebox!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

How much is that in USD?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.