AMM Channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AMM Channels

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DrDave DrDave 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wilts
    Wilts
    Participant

Is there a reason why the AMM is hard wired to channels 1-16 on all QU models? Currently my QU32 setup is configured so that all the mics I want to use with AMM are on channels 17-21. Yes I could re-patch my board but given the impact it will have on my setup (I have a normalised patch panel and mostly static wiring) I am loathed to do this. I can live with a total 16 channels but would like them to configurable to be any channel on my desk. Are there plans to add this in the near future or will I have to bite the bullet and make a load of changes?

Paul

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Guessing…..

Do you want/need AMM often, with the existing 1-16 being used as well?

You could possibly make a scene where the patching is different? (Just realise that requires a stagebox which you didn’t mention)

Profile photo of Wilts
    Wilts
    Participant

Haven’t played with AMM yet but if it works well then I could be using it as a standard feature most Sundays to help control the situation when I have a number of interacting presenters on stage all using radio mics.

No, we don’t have a stage box. It is a fixed church installation will all channels coming to the PA position via a patch panel. For the last 8 years, we have had a “standard” configuration whereby instruments are on channels 1-8 (and most are nearly always on the same channel), vocals on 9-12, stand mics 13-14, radio mics 17-22. All of this is implemented in the patch panel and marked up as such. Yes, I could move it all around but it would be hassle and would cause confusion since the patch panel outlet numbers/positions won’t correspond to the same channels/positions on the desk. It seems a lot of work which would not be required if there was a bit of flexibility in the GUI.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

It is what it is, and it can do what you want it to do. You have three choices:

• Solution 1: Carry on as you are, don’t use AMM.
    • Solution 2 (recommended): Repatch and relabel your new patch. It really isn’t a big job.
    • Solution 3: Buy an AR box
    Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

What is most important, to have the patch panel look nice or to have the faders at the old position?
    If it is the faders, then repatch and then make a user layer with the old positions.

Profile photo of Wilts
    Wilts
    Participant

Guys
    Thanks for the advice but I really want to know if there is any expectation that AMM will be updated in the future since the current implementation strikes me as just a quick fix to a gui problem of not being able to fit in a means of how to change channels on the AMM interface. Perhaps naively, I cannot see why there is a physical reason for restricting AMM to the first 16 channels.

Yes I could repatch/relabel but it is not a trivial job since most of my patch panel is normalised from floor boxes to input channels. Hence I will end up either using a heck of a lot of patch leads or having very illogical allocations of labels for the input channels. Sure a professional might cope but putting more pressure on a volunteer team is not somewhere I want to go – especially if I find I don’t have to in the next SW iteration.

Cheers

Paul

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Its totally understandable that you prefer to keep correct numbers, but for an interim solution repatching can be done easily on the mixer side. Just flip cables from input 1-16 with those from 17-32 and adjust the labeling on the desk (or use the custom layer to re-arrange faders). Nothing to change on stageboxes at all, same layout on the desk as before.

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

Like the OP, I set up channels 1-16 as band, and 17 up for radio mics etc., because back in the day, the dSnake input channels used for the band weren’t patchable. That arrangement still works well, given the current constraint on Qudrive playback for virtual soundcheck, which can only return signals to input channels 1-18.

To make wholesale flips from scene to scene or layer to layer goes against the fixed channel pattern and absence of electronic scribble strips. (If I wanted flexible channel assignment then I would have selected the GLD, but the requirement for intuitive use by novice operators drove me to the Qu-32.)

What would be really nice would be to the ability to select AMM on channels 1-16, 9-24 or 17-32.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.