Adding a recording setup

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Adding a recording setup

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hello everyone,

My FoH system is T-112 connected via ACE to my iDR-32, with an ACE card in PortB to connect my two xDR-16 extenders. PortB on both the xDRs is currently empty.

I’m starting to work out a recording setup. My desire is to record 48 channels of Dante audio from my iLive system. I’d like to have an R72 surface for my recording engineer and I’d like to connect that to another iDR rack. I’ll be using 2x JoeCo recorders to record the direct outs (up to 48 channels). I want to use the R72 to create a 2 track (and/or mono) mix for broadcast, web streaming, archive, etc.

So, can I put a Dante card in one of my xDR-16s and send 48 channels of Dante audio out to the recording iLive and to my JoeCo recorders?

-David Shriver
    Director of Technical Operations
    Shalin Liu Performance Center
    Rockport Music

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

With version 1.9, Yes.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

If you do not already have the JoeCos, they have a DANTE 64ch version now.

T112, iDR48, M-DANTE, PL10, MixPad, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi David,

The answer is yes.
    With current firmware V1.83 you can send out up to 64 channels to any card fitted in Port B of an xDR-16. In your scenario you’ll have a Dante card connected to another iLive system. This second system will have access to all the 64 channels.

There is a limitation on the number of inputs available in an xDR-16 Port B though, so if you are planning to playback your sessions in the FoH system for virtual soundcheck applications, you’ll get no more than 16 channels. This is likely to change in V1.9 for systems with one single xDR-16 (not two).

I hope this helps,

Nicola

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Hi Nicola,

can you explain this a bit more detailed? Why do have two xDR-16 have different Dante input possibilities than one?
    Did you mean to xDR with Dante Cards?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi Nicola,
    I could be wrong, but i was pretty sure that 1.83 had issues with clocking distribution over the portB of a dual rack or xdr system. Which has been resolved in 1.9.
    Have u tested this set up?

I actually did a dual rack system linked with Ace with a Dante to split to a mon console and it didnt work. AH told me it was the problem that i described above.

Thc

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

quote:

Why do have two xDR-16 have different Dante input possibilities than one?

The Master Port B can have up to 64 remote inputs. With two xDR-16s, that’s 16 analogue inputs each, plus any from the Port B cards. In this scenario, we take Master Port B channels 1-16 from Expander 1 Analogue in, 17-32 from Expander 1 Port B, 33-48 from Expander 2 Analogue in, and 49-64 from Expander 2 Port B.

As of V1.9, with one Expander, we take Master Port B channels 1-16 from Expander 1 Analogue in, 17-64 from Expander 1 Port B.

Any other solution would have the potential to break existing systems that relied on the two-expander functionality.

quote:

I actually did a dual rack system linked with Ace with a Dante to split to a mon console and it didnt work. AH told me it was the problem that i described above.

I don’t see a problem described above, and I’m not sure what the problem would be with that system, but V1.9 extends syncing options to allow every syncing option I could think of.

Hope this helps

– Jeff

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

I could be wrong, but i was pretty sure that 1.83 had issues with clocking distribution over the portB of a dual rack or xdr system. Which has been resolved in 1.9.

Hi Gil,
    this is not completely true.

Current (V1.83) limitations in sync options make it impossible to sync an iDR FROM Port B of its Expander (or its slave MixRack in Dual-Rack mode). As Jeff said, we hope to address this in V1.9.

Nevertheless, if the Dual-Rack system (or the system with the xDR) is the Master clock in the Dante network, with all other Dante devices set as Slave (sync from Port B), there is no issue with V1.83.

Hope this makes sense.

Nicola
    A&H

SteffenR
    Participant

That’s to complex to me, I have to draw it to paper…[:D]

SRV-AVB

SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

Hi

The Master Port B can have up to 64 remote inputs. With two xDR-16s, that’s 16 analogue inputs each, plus any from the Port B cards. In this scenario, we take Master Port B channels 1-16 from Expander 1 Analogue in, 17-32 from Expander 1 Port B, 33-48 from Expander 2 Analogue in, and 49-64 from Expander 2 Port B.

As of V1.9, with one Expander, we take Master Port B channels 1-16 from Expander 1 Analogue in, 17-64 from Expander 1 Port B.

Any other solution would have the potential to break existing systems that relied on the two-expander functionality.

That makes sense…indeed

SRV-AVB

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.