suggestions

This topic contains 537 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KB7981 KB7981 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 538 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jaap-TM
    Jaap-TM
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Well simply said, the DCA is a remote control, the group is a sidepath with real audio control…..

To understand that, you have to understand the matrxing of a vca/dca and a group, and the reasons why to choose for one of the two.
    First the VCA/DCA : this is a CONTROL fader wich can control relative a group of faders, in VOLUME and in MUTE, there is NO audio coming through this fader, it’s just remote controlling faders, stereo or mono, who are members of that VCA master. This is mostly used to ( indeed as you do ) adjust the complete drumkit volume or mute, or all backing vocals or all instruments… every engineer has his own reasons to make it easy for him and not adjusting 12 faders , but just one vca fader to give the whole drumsection a bit more. The VCA/DCA is used in most modern analoge mixers and offcorse in all digital mixers… it makes life easy, and audio is not disturbed, routed, again remember the C in DCA is for CONTROL , remote control….

The Group is just an audio master, like your aux master, or stereo master, it’s a mono or stereo BUS where you can send your signals through. A group of signals of wich the AUDIO path is now really behind the channel faders going directly to the groupmaster, audio is controlled also by this fader, and offcors its mute button.

So they are doing allmost the same, the DCA remote controlled and the group direct with audio running through. What’s the difference?

Well if you just want to mute , groupvolume adjustment etc.. the DCA is the perfect choice.

BUT if you want to EDIT this group of channels, with EQ, compression, or just send it to a special destination for recording, zone’s etc. , you do not need only to have control over that group, you want the AUDIO, and that’s when you use the Group.
    examples : a compressor on your complete drumkit , an EQ on your complete screaming Choir.

Basicly : DCA = remote , Group = sum of audio

So in your situation, Yes DCA is o.k. for muting and controlling the groups you made. BUT if you want a compressor on the complete drumsection or wanna do something with the complete audio of a group, use a group.

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

A ‘DCA’ is simply the digital console equivalent to a ‘VCA’ group. As Jaap says, just a remote control of the assigned channel faders.

To learn more about DCA (VCA) grouping you can download our ‘Mixing Live with VCAs’ guide from the Allen & Heath web site:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/ViewProductDownloads.asp?search=Mixing%20Live%20With%20VCAs

Hope that helps,
    Carey

Profile photo of techdaddy
    techdaddy
    Participant

its the little things in life…. i would like to see the capability of routing the tap button for the tap delay effects to the user assignable soft keys that way i don’t have to take up valuable screen space to tap and also prolong the touch screen when you’re really into the music and think that the tap button is part of the drum set.

Profile photo of techdaddy
    techdaddy
    Participant

sorry one more thing … when you are using a laptop for an online editor for a sudo-monitor console is there a way to PFL on the laptop itself instead of sending to the main console PFL and upsetting the FOH guy. Also this would be helpful if there is a bad line that you are troubleshooting on stage that way you can mute the channel and check it from the laptop on stage instead of having to walk back and forth from FOH to stage (no budget for segways)

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

No, at the moment there is no audio available at the laptop. Audio over wireless network is something for the future no doubt [8D]

You could map the PAFL output to a socket on the mixrack to feed a small monitor speaker (switch this off when you leave stage) or even a wireless in-ear for checking the signals while moving around on stage. If you are working with one iLive doing monitors from FOH then this would of course use the same PAFL system as FOH.
    Regards,
    Carey

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

More suggestions, 8 band parametric on the outputs (well 6-8 I still don’t like graphics)
    Prgrammable mute groups to soft buttons, The DPR901 (I Know Rob is working on it) Global update of a channel setting in all stored scenes though don’t have a clue how that would be achieved.
    Insertion of scenes (I know it has been mentioned before)
    Think that is it for now I am sure there will be more.
    Mr. B.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

my suggestions:
    – all channel gain reductions as meters in one screen (only overview)
    – scene and effect -store synchron in editor-software AND desk!
    – channel link functions
    – much faster “DCA Mute” flash in channel displays – now it is very slow!
    – gate with expander-function
    – clean hum and noise in headphone (iLive80)
    – faster scene memory
    – editor-software(PEQ-window): switch the position from frequency and bandwidth – like the iLive surface
    – fast switches for different rotary-functions
    – POST-fader position for output-limiter
    – RTA level adjust
    – AUX-send pickup-position: bigger buttons on the touchscreen – or my fingers are to fat? [:)]
    – “multicore” in one cable
    – easier “0”-position for single EQ gains (PEQ and GEQ)
    effects:
    – gated reverbs
    – frequency shifter
    – distortions ;-)

(sorry for my bad english)

Profile photo of jorr1013
    jorr1013
    Participant

I’m still REALLY new on the iLive. But one thing that would be good would be if on the keyboard the Shift key would drop off after a character was pressed (so you can use Initial Caps rather than ALL CAPS on names).

Yeah, I know. It’s pretty minor.

Profile photo of havana
    havana
    Participant

Auto-tune plugin[;)]

Profile photo of svelting
    svelting
    Participant

Would it be possible to have the Bank Layers be stored in scenes so that when a scene is recalled the layer on top when the scene is saved comes back up on top when the scene is recalled? I appears to me that whatever layer (A, B, C, or D), on any Bank of faders, is up on the current scene is also up on the recalled scene.

Is it possible to have the Mute indicator light on faders in a DCA that is muted, show that the fader is muted because the DCA is muted?

I would like the ability to insert a new scene between existing scenes – or the ability to move the order of scenes.

I am still quite a new-bee but the console (iLive 144) is incredible.

Scott A. Velting

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Scott I think you fill find the DCA logo in the LCD screen on the channel strip flashes when the DCA is in mute, though I am with you if the Mute light flashed I guess that would be handy.
    Ian B.

Profile photo of sound
    sound
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mr B

Scott I think you fill find the DCA logo in the LCD screen on the channel strip flashes when the DCA is in mute, though I am with you if the Mute light flashed I guess that would be handy.
    Ian B.

Please add my vote for the flashing mute lights – its too easy to miss the tiny DCA logo in the LCD.

Greetings,
    walter

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mr B

Ian B.

this flash frequency ist too slow!
    i donĀ“t use the DCA-Mute.

Profile photo of havana
    havana
    Participant

Block assignments for preamps would be most welcome.

Example: Select preamps for ips 1 to 32 and assign ESB Channels 1 to 32 to ip 1 to 32.[:p]

Profile photo of ZiKE
    ZiKE
    Participant

I vote for flashing mute buttons (:
    Easy centering of EQ faders were mentioned few times.
    I also would appreciate easer way of patching inputs and outputs and, what’s more important – ability to work at negative temperatures; Polish sound engineers should have possibility to work on this system.
    Best regards to all!

THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE IS ONLY ME

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 538 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.