XB 14-2 Basic Start Up Questions

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions XB 14-2 Basic Start Up Questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Patrick Patrick 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick
    Participant

My school just purchased the A&H xB-14-2 audio console/board. I have connected it to a Dell desktop computer, and I’m using the Audacity audio editing softward.

What do I need to do to be able to hear what I have recorded? Audio does not play back through the headphones connected to the XB-14. The only way I hear audio is when I disconnect the XB-14 from the computer, then I can hear the audio through the computer’s speakers.

What do I need to do to have the computer bring the audio to the XB-14? Don’t see anything like this in the instructions or my online searches so far. Thank you.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’m just looking at the picture on the product page, but one of the buttons above Stereo Channel 4 probably routes the USB audio into that channel. This may not work if you have cables plugged into the analog inputs for that channel. Pushing up that fader should now send the audio from the computer to your main outputs. PFL’ing the channel would let you hear it in headphones.

The XB series seems like a broadcast version of the Zed series, are you using it for a school radio station? If it’s any help I have a ZED10 sitting on my desk which is the equivalent to the XB-10, it also has the USB interface which I use regularly for playback.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’ve had a look at the manual, disregard what I said about the buttons on ST4, those just choose what gets sent TO the PC. On my Zed 10 plugging anything into the analog inputs on the playback channel (equivalent to your ST4) overrides the USB audio. Unplug these and it will work. It would be nice to be able to leave everything plugged in and have a button to choose sources if you’re listening A&H. 🙂

This will be your issue, assuming that Audacity is configured to actually send audio to the USB interface.

Chris

Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick
    Participant

Thank you Chris for your assistance. I will check the steps you suggest when I get back to work Monday. Are there Audacity settings I should also check and possibly change?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Audacity is probably fine, but you can check under Edit > Preferences > Devices that the playback interface is the USB device. My Zed shows up as “Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)”. Most likely it’ll just be a case of unplugging the analog connections from ST4 and it’ll work immediately.

Chris

Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick
    Participant

Hi Chris- I’m not sure if I have analog connections to ST4. What connections might these be?
    I’ll check the Edit-Preferences that you suggest. Thank you!
    This is for college radio/audio productions courses. We hope to get to streaming at some point.
    Another thing I encountered. We have three of the XB-14s. On one of them, connected the same way as the
    first one that I found I could easily record my voice via Audacity and save as an audio file.
    Well on this second unit, when I punch record in Audacity, it starts the record track process, but there’s nothing there.
    No visualization showing I am speaking into the mic, and then on playback there’s nothing there.
    Very perplexing, considering on the first set up with same Dell computer, it records fine. Any ideas there?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XB 14-2 Basic Start Up Questions’ is closed to new replies.