What to do with multi track recording?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions What to do with multi track recording?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rafael A&H Rafael A&H 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mcinz
    Mcinz
    Participant

Hi, I’m looking for some advice on what to do with my multi track recording once it’s recorded.
    I have a qusb, I play in a band and I have several multi track recordings on usb but when I finished recording, I want to mix it down and separate the songs. I’ve tried dropping them into Logic Pro individually into each track but it takes so long to even drop one track onto my Mac let along the 8 tracks or so I need to then when I go to edit them it takes ages to do anything. There must be an easier or better way.
    I’ve tried google search and forum search but I can’t seem to find a simple way to separate and mix the tracks.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

There must be an easier or better way.

Use a real computer and real DAW software?
    On my Nuendo PC it takes the import as long as the copy from the stick takes…

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

The speed of importing depends on the speed of your usb-drive, the speed of your computer and (to a lesser extend) the speed of your daw. Take tour pick….

Giga

Profile photo of Mcinz
    Mcinz
    Participant

Ah ok I see what you both mean. I was hoping that maybe there was a way to connect or play the multi track recording back to my MacBook via usb and then use logic to somehow record or mix it that way.
    I’m a real noob and have a basic enough grasp to mix my band live and record/playback etc but it’s been a steep learning curve so I was hoping there was something I may not have learned that might be easier. Seems the long way round to drop the files onto logic.
    I Appreciate your input and suggestions, thank you

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Ah ok I see what you both mean. I was hoping that maybe there was a way to connect or play the multi track recording back to my MacBook via usb and then use logic to somehow record or mix it that way.

this still incorporates the import to Logic… and this seems to be your bottleneck
    you can try to record with Logic…

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@mcinz – I am currently mixing 16 tracks in Logic Pro x which were recorded on my QU-SB on to a Samsung T5 SSD. In fact I am recording multiple shows for the purpose of releasing a ‘Live’ CD of the band I play in.

My setup is a 2020 iMac 27″ which boasts a 1TB SSD drive, 3.8ghz 8-core i7 with 96gb ram. I just plug my T5 SSD straight into my iMac and import to Logic, no bottle necks or waiting times, fast and smooth.

So it sounds like either the drive you are recording too is slow or your PC/Mac is the culprit.

Profile photo of Mcinz
    Mcinz
    Participant

Thanks for the reply’s, yeah I think you might be right, probably time for a new MacBook. I uploaded the files individually into Logic Pro which took a 2-3 hours, once the files were uploaded they were easier to deal with as it seemed to convert them. Which when I drag and drop the files it doesn’t seem to do.
    Thanks again for all your advice.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Lee7

2020 iMac 27″ which boasts a 1TB SSD drive, 3.8ghz 8-core i7 with 96gb ram

Hi there Lee.
    Is the iMac model year 2020 that you use.
    Is that USB3 or USB C? Shape?
    Thanks

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@nzdave,

Hi Dave, it comes fitted with 2x USB-C and 4x USB-3 inputs, but I also use a Caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt 3 dock that has an additional 15 inputs. So all my Samsung T5’s that I use for either multi-track recording or just for storing large media files away from the ‘Main’ SSD are plugged directly into the dock. This model was the last major update in the iMac line before the switch to M1 chips and 24″ screen size.

It certainly makes light work of most applications, although recently when rendering FCPX files it has started to drag it’s heels, something it didn’t do before. So I think an uninstall is required.

I purchased my iMac from a big electrical outlet in the UK called, Curry’s, as well as having stores throughout the country they also have an Ebay store were they sell customer returns. So my purchase was classed as a ‘Grade A’ clearance sale which saved me around £700.00 on the RRP. My SSD drive is actually the 512GB not 1TB as listed above. To go for the extra storage space was a big jump in price.

The only other upgrade to my iMac was to opt for the slightly better spec’d graphics card which boasted 512GB of internal RAM whereas mine has 256GB, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. After that I would have had to look at the i9 model, but from the many reviews that I had read, that particular model (chip) suffered from bottlenecks from within the system resulting in the extra speed null and void over long periods.

TS3 Plus | Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Cheers
    Lee

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@nzdave

Correction, 4x USB-A ports.

Profile photo of acoplito-uruguayo
    acoplito-uruguayo
    Participant

Hola, hace unos idas compre una QU-PAC, muy contento una maquina excelente, pero sucede que tengo un SSD con pistas grabadas en mi estudio 48KHZ 24Bit, trate de cargarlas en mi SSD y reproducirlas pero me dice “invalid Proyect”
    algún tutorial o guía de como hacer un Virtual Sound CHeck, con pistas que no fueron creadas por la misma consola? sin tener que usar el USB B y una computadora?

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hola!

Los archivos deben de estar integrados en unas carpetas especificas para poder ser reconocidos por la consola.

https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403026735377-Qu-Using-Qu-Drive
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402943892881-Qu-What-is-the-Qu-USB-directory-structure-

Por favor sigue estos articulos, te seran de mucha ayuda!
    Saludos!
    Rafael

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.