Using SQ Drive for Tracks Playback

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Using SQ Drive for Tracks Playback

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob Bob 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Andre S was kind enough to send me a link to some multitrack files, so that I could use them for my training.

Live From The Lab: Season 3

I downloaded one of the recordings, which are 48kHz/24-bit, and put each of the 5 tracks into its own folder, as per the instructions on page 96 of the SQ-5 Reference Manual v1.5. I haven’t been able to get the tracks to play in the SQ-Drive. I get an error message that I have an “unrecognized file format”. I just want to make sure I understand what the manual is saying.

On page 94 of the manual, referring to stereo recordings, it says that the files “must not contain any headers (such as BWF) or data (such as markers)”. When I looked at the source Properties of each file in Reaper, I can see that there is BWF info in the metadata. Could this be the reason the file won’t play in the SQ-Drive? If so, how do I strip out the BWF and other metadata?

Again on page 96 of the manual, it says “The name of the recorded SQ channel is stored as the ‘Track Name’ of the file.” But this is confusing to me, because the manual says that the file name needs to be “TRK01.WAV, TRK02.WAV, etc. So, does “track name” mean the label you’ve used for the input of your channel strip?

Can you please show what the correct directory, folder and file name should look like? I’m using \AHSQ\USBMTK\SQ-MT001\TRK01.WAV, \AHSQ\USBMTK\SQ-MT001\TRK02.WAV, etc. And do I need to strip out all metadata from each file? How?

I’ll worry about patching the SQ-Drive outputs to channel inputs after I get the files into the proper format.

Thanks.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

After a full day of messing around with this, the early indication is that if you want to import files from that Telefunken website referred to above – to use them as training material for learning the console, e.g. – you must first strip out the BWF metadata. I did that using my old copy of Audition v3 (I don’t think you can do it using Reaper). Once I chose NOT to save the metadata with the file and saved each file as instructed in the manual (see above), the files played perfectly in the SQ-Drive.
    SUCCESS.

Other DAWs might have this feature, as well. The only other one I have is Samplitude ProX3, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@irabob

I think a number of them allow you to pick the file format to save in
    and there must be some file conversion programs on the net somewhere.
    https://www.bigasoft.com/articles/bwf-converter.html
    https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000356.shtml

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

direct link
    https://www.bigasoft.com/audio-converter.html

$25 usa
    but has free trial version

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

To recap, using those Telefunken files as training material on the SQ requires the BWF metadata to be stripped out.

This is a copy/paste of a post I did earlier on the Reaper forum:
    After trying out several demo versions, I settled on this one. For $19, it does a thorough job stripping out all the metadata, and you can use Batch mode to clean a group of files quickly.

BatchPurifier – https://digitalconfidence.com/BatchPurifier.html

HINT: Use the demo version of MetadataTouch, which has a few more features but it’s more expensive. Once you verify that it will do what you need, buy the cheaper BatchPurifier. It uses the same tech, but with a few less options it’s cheaper to use and simpler.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Did you find that ALL the Telefunken files had BWF metadata or just some that are clearly labelled .BWF? I see some that are MP3 and some labelled simply as .WAV files. I haven’t looked long but I haven’t seen any labelled as .BWF.

D.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Did you find that ALL the Telefunken files had BWF metadata or just some that are clearly labelled .BWF? I see some that are MP3 and some labelled simply as .WAV files. I haven’t looked long but I haven’t seen any labelled as .BWF.

No, none of the files I’ve imported have the extension .BWF. They’re all WAV files with the metadata embedded. So you have to open up each file – you can do this in Reaper – to see if there’s metadata hidden within. Unfortunately, you can’t edit the metadata in Reaper. That’s why you have to use an app to strip the hidden data

I’ve tried to use Reaper’s File|Batch File/Item Converter to re-render the files without the metadata and to make sure the file conforms to the SQ-Drive requirements. I’m still testing that.

So far, I’ve only found WAV files. I’ve tested with the tracks from Cricket Blue (no problems) and The Lawsuits (can’t get those to play).

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that you can just render the stems again using Reaper without any of the extra data.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that you can just render the stems again using Reaper without any of the extra data.

Hi Dave, I’ve spent the better part of another day working on this, and I don’t think Reaper does the job. I haven’t been able to play any of the downloaded tracks in SQ-Drive after rendering them in Reaper. If you have the time and inclination, could you try it? I’ve only gotten it to work after bringing the WAV file into Audition and then using File|Save As and leaving the box unchecked that reads “Save extra non-audio information”.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

IraBob,
    Your purpose in loading these tracks via SQDrive may have been specific and getting to grips with that is clearly useful but for others wanting to use these libraries for mix practice and for exploring the desk what I found was really, really good was to load the tracks straight into my DAW (Reaper as it happens) and simply play them back raw via USB B input.

In terms of workflow this was very easy to set up and had the advantage that you could do things like loop a section or solo instruments in the DAW really easily to focus on some aspect or other.

I can totally recommend having a play.
    These tracks are SUCH an amazing resource for getting to grips with the desk – thanks IraBob for pointing them out.

Love my SQ5 πŸ™‚

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

You know, WS, you’re absolutely right. I’ve gotten so “lost in the weeds” with the SQ-Drive that I’d forgotten that my goal was to play tracks in the SQ so that I could train myself in using it. Thanks for that splash of cold water! I’ll move on to the fun stuff now!!

Please make sure that you give the thanks to Andre S for those Telefunken tracks. I simply relayed his PM to me. But you’re right – they’re a great resource for training, and I wouldn’t have known about them if he hadn’t mentioned it. All kinds of good stuff on that website.

Cheers.

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi IraBob,
    Yep– it’s easy to go down rabbit holes with this stuff. I do that all the time πŸ™‚

Mixing other people’s live tracks IS fun– no loud noise, no band stress, no doors open deadline, no paying audience: If it stops – or I cock up.. all good πŸ™‚ And I noticed / learned a lot quite quickly πŸ™‚

The telefunken source files are prob quite a bit better than my raw material / sound capture on most gigs mind you πŸ™‚
    (nice sounding mics)

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

What an awesome resource. I will certainly be trying my hand at these. I haven’t mixed “live” in many, many years and it will be fun to give it a go again. Who knows, you might see me in some local dive bar one day. πŸ™‚

D.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Your purpose in loading these tracks via SQDrive may have been specific and getting to grips with that is clearly useful but for others wanting to use these libraries for mix practice and for exploring the desk what I found was really, really good was to load the tracks straight into my DAW (Reaper as it happens) and simply play them back raw via USB B input.

WS, now that I’ve raised my head out of the weeds somewhat, I remember what my specific purpose was to load these tracks into the SQ-Drive, rather than use the USB2.0 port. I have an external Glyph GT050Q HDD with tracks that I’d previously recorded with a JoeCo Blackbox. I wanted to use the drive – with those tracks or the Telefunken tracks – for SQ training. That Glyph drive has a USB-B port, the same square port that is on the back of the SQ. But there’s no USB-B to USB-B cable available. It doesn’t look like there’s a proper way to connect the Glyph to the SQ via the USB2.0 port. So that’s why I was concentrating on getting the Glyph connected to the SQ-Drive.

It looks like an external HDD needs to have any type of a USB connector other than a Type B in order to connect to the SQ. Would you say that’s correct? (And I noticed that none of the approved drives on that A&H list have a Type B connector. That list is linked here:)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vSRGk-ihkEh_jdzODLd6bPr8Lwhu-bpMtXEnyHU_EysBZeW2Qc_GjP-yt5p6p-DiIhINqsMKp44nNHJ/pubhtml?gid=1526078633&single=true

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi IraBob,
    No you don’t need the connector..
    Use the USB port on the top of the desk next to the headphone jack when using SQDrive.. (use the square port on the back when connecting to your PC over USB)
    That caught me out too at one point

Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.