Use one SQ like an old school analog splitter for INPUTs into another SQ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Use one SQ like an old school analog splitter for INPUTs into another SQ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nm00
    nm00
    Participant

Hello,

Here is what I would like to do:
    Use:

SQ6 for FoH
    SQ5 for Livestream

Use SQ6 to essentially split the input signals between the two boards
    – BUT!!!
    – I do not want the SQ6 gain, faders, or effects to have any effect on the SQ5.
    – Pretty much only use the SQ6 like an old school analog splitter.
    – Both boards run independently from each other in terms of gain, faders, effects

Is this possible?
    If yes,
    – How / what are the proper settings for each board?

Thank you!

Profile photo of jron
    jron
    Participant

I am not a master of the SQ, but since it is capable of many independent mix outs, why do you need more than 1 mixer?

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Yes, you can do what you are asking but the exception will be that only one board can control the gain and that is the one that is connected to the audio racks. The other board will be affected by the gain setting of the primary board but both boards also have digital trim available which you can use to offset +/- from the gain.

You can use the onboard Slink port to connect the SQ6 to your audio rack(s) unless only using local inputs on the SQ6. You then need a Slink I/O module installed in the SQ6 that will connect to the Slink port on the SQ5. You will configure tie lines between the two boards so share the signals. This is described in the SQ user manual and I’m sure there are a lot of YouTube videos that show the process.

You will have completely independent control of the channels (EQ/dynamics/faders/etc) EXCEPT for the gain (which, again, is controlled by the board with the inputs). As another individual mentioned, you could use an aux out of the SQ6 rather than using a separate board but then you’ll need to locally (or remotely with SQ Mixpad app).

You can share the signals between boards using SLink, Dante, or Waves in a similar manner. I use Waves because I also use it for channel processing. Slink would likely be cheaper because you likely only need the one Slink expansion card on the SQ6 and can use the built in port on the SQ5 rather than needing a Dante or Waves I/O card for each board.

Again, I run in a similar setup for my FOH and Livestream (except use Waves) and I have zero issue with the gain being controlled by the primary board. I occasionally use digital trim on the livestream board when a minor offset is needed.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The only way to have independent control of the preamp settings (preamp gain, phantom power, polarity, etc) is to use two completely independent systems each with their own analog input/outputs along with an analog split to take the analog inputs/outputs and split them enough times to connect each console.

As mfusa explained however, it is very easy to connect two A&H SQ systems together digitally. However you are physically only using one set of preamps that will be shared between both consoles. Therefore all those preamp settings (preamp gain, phantom power, polarity, etc) are going to be the same between consoles. Changing one of those settings will affect BOTH consoles. The good news is that other than gain, those settings would need to affect both consoles. As far as gain is concerned, the overall gain setting needs to be set properly early in the setup/rehearsal process and then not changed. Both consoles will have digital trim control which allows each engineer to increase/decrease the overall gain level of an input on their console without actually changing the preamp gain and therefore without affecting the other console. I don’t recall how much trim control there is, but my gut feeling is that it’s about +- 30db, so it should be PLENTY if the preamp gain was set even remotely close to what is needed.

Outside of these preamp settings, the boards will be completely independent of each other. So the use of FX, fader levels, auxes, matrix, etc are all independent of each other.

To connect the two boards together, you’ll need an available S-Link port on each console. If you are only using the built in analog inputs/outputs, then you can simply connect the two boards together using the built in ports. However if you need to connect a digital stage box to one (or both) of the consoles using the built in S-Link port, then you are going to need to add a separate S-Link I/O card in the I/O expansion card slot in order to be able to have a second SLink port to use to connect to the other console.

PS – this is assuming you want to use SLink to connect the two systems together. As mfusa mentioned, you can use other transport protocols like Waves or Dante to move the audio between consoles. You’ll just need matching I/O cards in both systems for whatever system you want to use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.