USB streaming from DAW, changing default channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB streaming from DAW, changing default channels

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ssharkvvave ssharkvvave 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ssharkvvave
    ssharkvvave
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been lurking on this great forum during an install of 2 new Qu-16s I am setting up. I’ve already found a lot of answers here so thanks!

On to my question.

Basically, I want to get playback from my DAW (Reaper) as a stereo stream, and I want it to come in on USB channels 1/2 (since that’s what the iMac system audio and Reaper outputs default to). However, I don’t want the DAW audio coming up on channels 1/2 on the faders, I’d prefer channels 15/16 so that the operator has local inputs 1-14 matching up with the numbering of the physical patchbay in the studio side.
    The problem is I can’t figure out if there is a way to soft patch USB 1/2 to appear on faders 15/16. I can either get the default stereo output coming in on channels 1/2, or I set up USB 15/16 as an additional hardware output in Reaper every session. But I can’t work out how to just tell ch15/16 to take the USB ch1/2 audio. Am I missing something or this a limitation I’m hitting?

I think if there’s no quick way of reassigning the USB streaming I might experiment with restricting users to a custom layer only, where faders 15/16 are actually ch1/2 (this will work, right?).

Thanks for any tips you may have!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Working with Reaper
    You need to get into the matrix of Reaper to assign either the whole of all audio tracks coming back into the QU16 respectful to tracks 1-16 OR
    Turn those off and assign the master track of Reaper to come back into either 15/16 ST1 or ST2
    Thats the equivalent of mixing ITB [in the box]
    You can still control faders etc from the QU16.
    Hope this helps

Profile photo of ssharkvvave
    ssharkvvave
    Participant

I can either get the default stereo output coming in on channels 1/2, or I set up USB 15/16 as an additional hardware output in Reaper every session

Yep but the main problem is I don’t want to have to assign the master to 15/16 every time a session is started. Am just aiming for as simple as possible for the operator (not me, will be used for voiceover recording by people with varying skill levels/competence). I suppose I could set up a Reaper template that opens with this master routing in place 🤔 Am pretty sure you can tell Reaper to open with a particular template on startup.
    Hmm I’m thinking a custom fader set for the DIY operator is the way to go, with a higher user access login for more advanced users…

Thanks for the reply!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.