Toggle phantom power

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Toggle phantom power

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dean Dean 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

The gain has to be cranked up more than 20db to match other sockets, making it noisy and therefore unusable.

That sounds like you have the pad engaged.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

No pad is engaged. I said more than 20 db just because I don’t remember the actual amount which is more like 30+ db. lol

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

1 stage of the opamp going down seems to drop around 13 dB.
    Not sure what would happen if both go (it’s a dual stage).
    When the one on my DX168 went I had to add over 20 dB, but I used that socket this weekend, even with the fault as I needed the I/O, and I had to reduce it to ‘just’ the extra 13.
    I didn’t get chance to test the possible scenes with recall filters workaround unfortunately. Instead I manually disengaged phantom pre patching/unpatching which was a little nerve-wracking with the band trying to clear the stage ASAP for the next band as it takes a while with the press and hold!

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I got some free time today and decided to test out what is going on with my SQ5 xlr inputs. I have 4 inputs that are not working properly.

I just used my voice through a mic to test, so the level drops I listed are not precise. All effect were disengaged, and levels set the same except for the compensation needed for the bad channels.

One input is 20 db low and noisy,
    one is 20 db low and not noisy,
    one is 25 db low and noisy,
    and the worst one is 40 db low and extremely noisy and unusable.

All of the bad inputs also sound bright, like a 3 db high shelf was added to the signal.

I have not yet had a preamp do anything like this in the 25 years I’ve been doing live sound. It seems like a pretty serious design flaw, especially if the problem stems from plugging mics into a phantom powered channel.

The next question is, what will it take to fix? I am not bad with a soldering iron and the mixer is far out of warranty. I would have trouble bringing it to a repair place as I use it too frequently.

I would also like to say that I love this mixer, apart from the input problems.

Dean

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.