SysEx Header Version

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration SysEx Header Version

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of djam djam 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I am trying to send a SysEx message to my Qu-16 to change the name on Channel 1 and I’m ready to pull my hair out. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

The Qu Mixer MIDI Protocol V1.5 document specifies the System Exclusive Header as:
    A&H ID Qu mixer Major/Minor version MIDI channel
    F0, 00, 00, 1A, 50, 11, 01, 00, 0N

Is the Major/Minor version it refers to the current firmware version? If so, should I convert the minor number (50) to Hex (0x41)? That’s the one thing I haven’t tried.

The complete command should be:
    Sysex Header, 03, CH, <Name>, F7
    So, if I want to send Change Channel Strip One to “ABC” on MIDI Channel 1:
    ASCII A B C
    CHAR 65 66 67
    HEX 41 42 43

Therefore, the complete buffer should be Byte{F0, 00, 00, 1A, 50, 11, 01, 41, 00, 03, 00, 41, 42, 43, F7}?

Does anyone have an app that can send this string to their Qu to see if the name changes?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

The Major/Minor version refers to the SysEx version and has remained constant across all Qu firmware versions to date.

Header remains:
    F0, 00, 00, 1A, 50, 11, 01, 00, 0N

Major Version 01
    Minor version 00

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I’m so close, but I’m still stuck.

I am sending “F0 00 00 1A 50 11 01 00 00 03 20 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 F7” to the mixer. It should change the name on Channel Strip one to “ABCDEFG”.

After sending the message, my sendRequest.completionProc fires and appears okay. The sendRequest.complete flag is set to true. It also shows up in a utility that I use to monitor events (MIDI Monitor) as:
    21:47:52.229 To Channel 26 In SysEx Allen & Heath $13 bytes

When I look at the actual data (from within the monitor app), it is identical to the data sent when I change it on the mixer or the QuPad with the exception of one byte. That is expected because the command is 02 or 03 depending on whether it is being sent or received.

One curios thing is that the utility is reporting it on MIDI Channel 26. I am sending it on channel 1 (00). I read that some devices send and recieve SysEx messages on a separate channel than Note On/Off commands. I’m just assuming it is the same since it is not mentioned in the published spec.

All of my other functions work. I can change any parameter on the mixer but without being able to change the name, the whole idea of an offline editor seems like a waste.

Any information that anyone can give me would be truly appreciated. Like I said, I’m stuck and I’ve been stuck for two days.

BTW, nice job on the MIDI Doc. It had everything I needed to write my controller.

Profile photo of SDC
    SDC
    Participant

Did you ever get this sorted? I’m stuck at the same point!

thanks

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Was this ever solved? Trying to do the same thing.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Djam,

I have this working on my system. Are you connected to the console via TCP/IP?

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Hi Alex,

Yes I am connected by TCP/IP for standard MIDI messages. There is however a USB connection for DAW midi Channel (Which is 2 in this case). As I understand it the only MIDI information that uses the MIDI over USB is for DAW control. All other MIDI traffic uses MIDI Channel 1 over TCP/IP.

MIDI CH = 1
    Change Input Channel 1 = DR_Vox

Sysex Header = F0, 00, 00, 1A, 50, 11, 01, 00,
    A&H Ref: 03,
    Input Channel 1 = 20,
    Hex ” DR_Vox ” = 44, 52, 5f, 56, 6f, 78,
    A&H Ref: F7

Sysex Message
    F0, 00, 00, 1A, 50, 11, 01, 00, 03, 20, 44, 52, 5f, 56, 6f, 78, 7F

Do you see any problems with my logic?

Thank you.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Djam,

All NRPN, Note and Program Change MIDI work over both USB and TCP/IP (including DAW Control). All SysEx is TCP/IP only.

You will need to use the DAW Control Driver in MIDI Thru mode to access the TCP/IP connection, otherwise, if you use the Qu MIDI In/Out virtual ports you are still using the USB connection.

Otherwise, the SysEx message looks fine!

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

I have the A&H DAW Control Driver in memory set to QU, MIDI Channel 2, Mackie Control, MIDI Ports, QU-16 MiDI & QU-16 MIDI In. On my custom layer I do see data being sent though as the status bar display shows activity. I also can record, and playback tracks from Ableton, and use QUPad from my ipad.

I do not see the “MIDI Thru mode”. I am using a Windows-7 PRO Laptop and I do not see a through mode on the driver config.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.